Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSounds Incorporated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sounds Incorporated
    Posted: June 16 2007 at 04:50
When I first heard this band, ala a British import movie I caught on a channel surfing fly, I thought, "holy crap these guys are progressive!" To amazon, where I rush ordered a compilation of their first two (and, I think, only two) albums. And, uh, Catfish Rising Remaster.

As I mentally prepared myself, I thought, "Well, they probably aren't that progressive. I'm getting excited over some goof-ball band." But when the album came, I was pleasantly disappointed.

A little background: Sounds Incorporated was a band formed in 1961 or thereabouts, and best remembered for providing the backing on the Beatles' "Good Morning, Good Morning."

The lineup is pretty interesting: gutiar, bass and drums, with some keyboards, flute and at least two saxaphones. They did a bit of backing work for various artists of the time, but their own work is entirely instrumental (and any fame at the moment was devoted to their jazzy re-arrangements of classical type works).

The first album is an interesting mix of jazzy pop rock and psychadelia, but the second album is more mature sounding, and makes more use of keyboards, adding much more piano to the organ dominated sound, and also bringing in some acoustic guitar.

They are all excellent musicians to boot; the bass and guitar are good, the sax, flute and keys are very good, and the drummer is surprisingly good.

One more word about that flute; it's sometimes aggressive use oftentimes reminds me of another flute rock band. I am, of course, referring to Focus. Pretty creepy that.

I think these guys should be in for proto-prog. I don't know if they directly inspired anyone, but it sure sounds like they did.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 04:54
They were friends of my parents and they played at my Mum's 21st birthday party in 1963!

Tony Newman who worked with Kevin Ayers and Mike Oldfield amongst many others was a member.

Edited by Man Erg - June 16 2007 at 04:58

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 04:59

Oh, almost forgot. As for websites, these guys are pretty pitifully represented online. No wikipedia. Sad that; maybe this is the most underappreciated band on earth.

Anyways, just google 'em for some interesting, if bare, pages with lineups and releases and all that (singles included there, but no singles collections are available on CD I think. Pity that; I would have loved to hear their cover of "Hall of the Mountain King," especially if the Who did use it as a springboard for their's, as the liner notes pretentiously proclaimed). Here's their answer.com (and they're also at allmusic):

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 05:03
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

They were friends of my parents and they played at my Mum's 21st birthday party in 1963!

Tony Newman who worked with Kevin Ayers and Mike Oldfield amongst many others was a member.

Wow. I'm assuming you weren't there, of course...

Yeah, drummer Newman went on to work with some artsy fartsy folks like Bowie and Bolan and the like (and I recall seeing that their only mention on this site was him in some band).

The flautist/saxophonist Alan Holmes worked on some Kinks rock operas too.
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 05:17
I was 3 years old at the time so I don't remember anything about it.

My Dad originally knew a couple of the members from local jazz clubs.My Dad was a '(Mod)ernist' in the late 1950's.There was a club in Woolwich,SE London called The Tramshed (Not sure if it was called The Tramshed at the time) where Sounds Incorporated would play.My uncle who was doing his national service at Woolwich was also friends of the band.

Edited by Man Erg - June 16 2007 at 05:25

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 03:25
So, is this lack of interest due to lack of proginess, or just because no one in their right mind has heard of this band?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 08:07
I have heard of this band from their connection with The Beatles. I'd always assumed they were primarily a jazz band, but I've never heard any of their own material. If you want them to be considered you're going to have to come up with some MP3 samples.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 12:13
i remember Sounds Incorporated from the 60's, but not Prog.Smile
Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply