Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 16:37
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

I wish I could see why other people like minimalism. :( It just annoys the hell out of me, which is bad since I am a fan of the avant-garde. What is the difference between repeating a piano riff for 10 minutes and the simplistic repetition of a pop song?

well, most of the time in minimalism the piano riff will gradually change over time until the end result is unrecognizable as the original phrase. It has a sort of hypnotic quality and the effect of stationary motion (if that makes any sense.)
Give this a try - Philip Glass: Metamorphosis 1 - you'll find the other 4 parts on YouTube too. 
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 16:46
it's definitely an acquired taste but as thellama73 points out, the hidden qualities of minimalism are what make it so interesting, mainly the gradual (sometimes barely noticable) changes and shifts that occur over the course of a piece.. it's almost like watching the stars, changes are slow but rewarding.

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 18:20

It has a sort of hypnotic quality and the effect of stationary motion (if that makes any sense.)

That's mainly why I listen to minimalism.

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 21:32
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

I wish I could see why other people like minimalism. :( It just annoys the hell out of me, which is bad since I am a fan of the avant-garde. What is the difference between repeating a piano riff for 10 minutes and the simplistic repetition of a pop song?

well, most of the time in minimalism the piano riff will gradually change over time until the end result is unrecognizable as the original phrase. It has a sort of hypnotic quality and the effect of stationary motion (if that makes any sense.)
Give this a try - Philip Glass: Metamorphosis 1 - you'll find the other 4 parts on YouTube too. 
I liked that; it's a nice piano line, and I did listen to it until the end. I listened to 2, and it was nice too, and there was some variation so I made it almost all the way. Then I skipped to 5 and it sounded exactly the same as 1 so I turned it off. I sort of got what you were saying on the first one (I'm not sure if I could tolerate it if I weren't on the computer as well, though), but after that, at this point in time, I can only see it as laziness. Maybe some day I can see it; after all, I did use to think that SGM were lazy songwriters, but now it all seems logical to me. But I don't think that day is anywhere near.
fungusucantkill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 21:35
Thats how i felt when i first listened to glass. I hated it i just fell asleep. But it was one of those things that i had to listen to over and over to get into it. and i finally did.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 21:44
Ghandi,  minimalism isn't always like that. There are other less "mechanic" composers. Arvo Part and Henryk Gorecki are the ones that quickly spring to mind. They are more melodic with their music and less repetitive as well. I highly recommend Symphony no. 3 (a.k.a. "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs") by Henryk Gorecki and Alina by Arvo Part. Maybe you'll enjoy the genre a bit more with these pieces of music.

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 22:06

I think time is one of the biggest keys here, I know if I was presented with such music a couple of years back, I would have been disinterested. Also it is best not listened to as background noise. For me I'm inherently interested/intrigued in the relationship between time and space in both musical and non-musical environments. Because of the extended nature it gives time to both analysis and feel the different notes/textures. I like both composed and improvised minimalism, though the improv branch probably gets more plays. I think it also help, to read a little about the composer/improviser to try and understand what they are trying to archive.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 23:30
For the record, I think the metamorphoses are some of Glass' least interesting pieces pieces, so I don't blame you for not liking them.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 13:10

For the record, I think the metamorphoses are some of Glass' least interesting pieces pieces, so I don't blame you for not liking them.
I agree, but it was the easiest complete piece to find on the web. (As I have already said somewhere in this thread - I don't consider Glass to be particularily minimalist). Though I do like watching the pianists hands as she plays it, it's quite mesmerising.
What?
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 13:13
Most of these guys grow out of the genre. Philip Glass and Stever Reich's recent stuff don't sound like the minimalism they did in the 70's and early 80's.

oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 17:12
No, I don't like Philip Glass and i really don't enjoy so much minimalistic music in general. But i heard Der Heisse Brei by Wim Mertens and i was blown away. What a music! Everyone heard of him?

nightlamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 14:09
Not a huge Glass fan (he's ok), I'm more into Steve Reich & Terry Riley. Favorite Reich works are Sextet, Six Marimbas, Drumming, and Music for Mallet Instruments, Voice, and Organ.  Favorite Riley works are Persian Surgery Dervishes, Descending Moonshine Dervishes and Poppy Nogood. 

I also really dig Pauline Oliveros' album Deep Listening...  If you haven't heard it, you need to!
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 14:14
I think I'll throw one of those "giant monkey balls" comments here. Bored to death while listening Heroes Symphony and something else (can't remember title).
ĦBeware of the Bee!

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 15:45
Originally posted by nightlamp nightlamp wrote:

I also really dig Pauline Oliveros' album Deep Listening...  If you haven't heard it, you need to!

I want that album!!

I'm very curious about Oliveros' work since reading about them in allmusic.com. I would really like to know what "Deep Listening" is all about.

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 15:56
I guess the really long and monotonous minimalist pieces are a 'take it or leave it' - kind of thing. This is demanding stuff, and if you're looking for a simple(r) kind of pleasure, you'll be disappointed. It's about the frustration of expectations, I think. Want variety? You're not really going to get it. Want a manageable timescale? Nope, not here, either. You'll get what you'll get and it's up to you to accept it and find a way to enjoy it, or to reject it. If you accept it, maybe you'll get something from it. Or not. Kind of like life, really.

I don't know of any of the above makes this music and its creators good or bad. But it sure sets certain boundaries, makes additional demands and, because of this, puts things in perspective.    
Nicholas Linear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 13:31

I remember reading the liner notes from (either Einstein on the beach or Satyagraha) stating that it was extremely difficult for even the best musicians to perform this repetitive kind of work because of the need for perfect time and the ability to perfom almost the same thing over and over again with  minor mistakes.

In answer to the first questino - I love Philip Glass.  Reich too, but glass more if only for these two above mentioned albums
there are three kinds of people. Those who can count and those who can't
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12