Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat happened to TOP 100???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 13:33
^^ This is without a doubt the BEST top 100 idea anyone has had in this thread; all the benefits and fewer of the drawbacks of the current system.

The only difficulty would be keeping it up to date where new releases and such are concerned; i.e. making our "top ten" one that can be easily updated and the update factored into the overall rating.

I'm all for this!
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 13:46
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Perhaps a more representative chart of our most popular titles would be one computed from our personal top 10's.

That is, if we could list our top ten favorite albums in our profiles (rated 10 down to 1), with the one (and only) proviso was that they had to be listed in the PA. The chart would then be made from those scores - with no weightings. This would benefit three fold:

1. It would show what we really liked.
  2. It would weed-out all the fanboy and hateboy nonsense.
  3. It would allow us to see what each other liked individually.

That is a really good idea.

I think if this plan were implemented, you'd see a few bands at the top drop a few notches (I'm not going to name any names, but I think one band in particular would drop down a few notches). Again, not that I care. I realize the top 100 list is a meaningless amalgam of irrationality. And furthermore, I'm not personally invested in seeing THAT BAND drop down. But, it would be entertaining Smile

Edited by bluetailfly - July 16 2007 at 13:56
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 15:53
I think that is a great idea darqdean Thumbs%20Up
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 16:10

Perhaps a more representative chart of our most popular titles would be one computed from our personal top 10's.

That is, if we could list our top ten favorite albums in our profiles (rated 10 down to 1), with the one (and only) proviso was that they had to be listed in the PA. The chart would then be made from those scores - with no weightings. This would benefit three fold:

Well, one major problem is that I like a lot more than 10 albums ...

But I really, really like the idea of personal top 10/100/etc ... that's why I made sure that on my website every user has his/her own page with their personal charts.Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - July 16 2007 at 16:20
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 16:16

While the idea sounds reasonable, my top ten change regularly. Confused

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 16:33
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Well, one major problem is that I like a lot more than 10 albums ...

But I really, really like the idea of personal top 10/100/etc ... that's why I made sure that on my website every user has his/her own page with their personal charts.Smile
Hmm, me too, but I think 10 is enough from 14,000 members to get a realistic over-view.

I keep looking at the PROGtology charts but it confuses me. I think I need to spend more time on there to get a better understanding of how it works and how you use it. Confused

Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

While the idea sounds reasonable, my top ten change regularly. Confused

I think we all do that, but just updating your profile-list once a week or so would keep the chart dynamic - and add to the fun Wink
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 16:49
^ Actually I have implemented something along the lines of what you suggest: The playlist service. You simply tell the system which albums you listened to recently (and how you like them), and from that the system can generate a chart of the albums which you currently like. Smile
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 04:17
Hey, the thing I was complaining about before regarding how the albums with one review were getting weird ratings was fixed! ClapClap
Looking at the top 100 now, it seems like the order is fairly accurate to the average ratings of the albums. I like the algorythm. It gives the more obscure albums a better chance to get on the list, which I personally approve of.

My only issue with the list now, as with the consensus so far, is the inclusion of live albums and PP/PR albums. Fix it! (please Embarrassed)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 14:06

ClapClapClapClap

I already did in my BIO...Big%20smileBig%20smile
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 20:42
Why can't we have a (is this a word?...) customize-able chart?

The current chart or the previous chart will still be shown on the home page and will remain as the default, but when you click on the link to see the list, you can "customize" it by selecting a function (weighted, non-weighted, weight on popularity, weight on rating) that will change the chart to your preference. Of course, you could also select a year range, genre, albums that are your favorite colorLOL  and what not.

If I want to see a top 100 list of obscure bands with great ratings, I will choose the appropriate function (which would be the current one used).
If I want to see a top 100 list based on a mix of popularity and ratings.....
if I want to see a top 100 list based solely on popularity.....

It seems that about half of the complaints about the new list are based in one's interpretation of the rankings, and not the actual list and the function behind it. This is what happens when you let an extremely objective mathematical function tell people which prog-rock albums (which some of us hold very dear to our hearts) rank in what position. If the list was custom, not as many people would complain....

"what! SFoM is number 99! this list is stupid!"
"dude. just change the function to weight on popularity, and quit b*tchin!"

ratingfreak.com (a.k.a. progtology.com) is way ahead of me on this one... I'm now wondering why this hasn't already been done... It would be rrrrrrreally interesting to me to see how a ranking system like that one would arrange albums using the massive amount of reviews we have here at PA.

Edited by explodingjosh - July 18 2007 at 21:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 01:28
"ratingfreak.com (a.k.a. progtology.com) is way ahead of me on this one... I'm now wondering why this hasn't already been done... It would be rrrrrrreally interesting to me to see how a ranking system like that one would arrange albums using the massive amount of reviews we have here at PA"

Well, submitting ratings doesn't take much time at my website ... and if only a hundred users rated their top 100 albums there ... Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - July 19 2007 at 01:29
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 10:27

^^^^^ Yep. And also if a ratings system like yours was applied to the reviews and data at PA... the massive amount of info would do justice to a great system like that.

For example, if I'm reading the info correctly on your site, FoaBP only has 14 reviews! and Ziltoid the Omniscent only 2! Man, to combine the relevance of your ranking system with PA's reviews data would be very cool.Geek
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 10:34
^ in principle I'm using the same calculations - but I'm offering the visitor a choice which algorithm to apply, there are many more rating steps, and I extend the rating mechanism down to the track level.
Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 15:45
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Why can't we have a (is this a word?...) customize-able chart?

The current chart or the previous chart will still be shown on the home page and will remain as the default, but when you click on the link to see the list, you can "customize" it by selecting a function (weighted, non-weighted, weight on popularity, weight on rating) that will change the chart to your preference. Of course, you could also select a year range, genre, albums that are your favorite colorLOL  and what not.

And country of origin, as I have suggested earlier... It would be interesting to see what bands from specific countries are getting noticed in the international prog community. Mostly for the fun of it, of course, but also as a tool for those of us who are arranging concerts and festivals - you know, are there any new efforts from Sweden that I should be aware of this year? What about the other countries in the "neighbourhood"?

I understand that the albums aren't linked to specific countries, only the bands are. Should be possible to make such a link, though...

However: I've been reading through this thread trying to find a sensible explanation to how this new rating system practically functions, but I remain unenlightened. If anybody cares to give an answer, read my post here:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8462&PID=2580620#2580620
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415