Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStyx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 03:11

When StyX makes album such as Grand Illusion and Crystal Ball , they are great - not very prog but great.

Their earlier (first four)and proggier are patchy at best and sloppy at worst.

After Pieces of Eight (excellent radio-friendly FM rock), Cornerstone was not that bad but held the horrible Babe. Paradise Theater was  not a bad concept but they were much too pompous.

And then their major mistake came and discredited them for many years to come and it even brought the band to break up. Loyal fan base fled but other came mainly though the MTV videoclip. Mr. Lobotto  has done permanent damage on their career. Stynx

I was actually surprised they had a career in the 90's. I spent my youth in Canada but moved to Europe at the end of the 80's and Styx was never big or even well-known. If you can believe that they opened concert for Saga in the 80's on the continent, this was hard to belive for Northern Americans.

Nothing personal and this bashing thing is good-natured or else they would not be on the site.

Now please do not go bash Mariah if you want to make friends in this forum.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
slipperman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 08:28

I always have to defend Styx. And as you'll see on this very thread, many of the people that dislike them aren't exactly familiar with the bulk of their catalog. So maybe the bashing comes from ignorance of their material rather than familiarity. There are some prog or prog-ish gems on all their albums, up to and including Pieces Of Eight (I would especially recommended 'The Serpent Is Rising', 'Equinox' and 'Crystal Ball'...and of course 'The Grand Illusion')...but after that...look the hell out, they really started to suck. 

...it is real...it is Rael...
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 11:06
I thought that was Larry Gowan on the new Styx video I saw on Music Plus. You would think that musicians of that calibre were above butchering a Beatles classic. (SGT. Peppers...). As for Styx the only two albums I still have are Equinox and Pieces Of Eight  because they remind me of my high school days. 
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 14:25

because it is epic pop, and that isn't supposed to make sense

Aaron

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 20:21

I believe people is unfair with STYX, because in the best of the cases they were the simples possible form of art rock musicians, always played at the border that divides Prog from plain pop, later albums are more prog oriented than later ones, so you can't compare a light weight as STYX (In prog' terms) with Heavyweights like Yes, Genesis or even ELP.

When John Curulewsky was replaced by Tommy Shaw, almost all the hopes of being aprog' band left with him, but what they lost in proggieness they gained in sound.

If you listen them forgetting they are barely prog', you'll find they have soome great stuff.

The Grand Illusion has only one remotely prog' track (Fooling Yourself), but the album is outstanding in musical terms, all the tracks are good and they don't have a single filler. I'm not ashamed to admit I still enjoy some of their  stuff  ubtil Cornerstone (Except Babe) very much when I'm in the right mood.

Iván

Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 20:50
The infamous border between pop and prog is an interesting, but nonetheless fruitless debate. I really like Supertramp's Breakfast In America album, but it isn't exactly progressive (from what I think progressive means). The same goes for Asia & artists such as David Bowie. I believe they expand the boundaries a bit, with a little bit of experimentation (more so for Bowie), but they don't go much further from the track than that.
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 21:03

Well Rob, I believe Supertramp's earlier albums like Crime of the Century, Crisis What's Crisis or Even in the Quietest Moments are much closer to prog' than Breakfast in America.

A Soapbox Opera, School, Crime of the Century  and Fool's Overture are is  wonderfull and 100% prog tracks.

But I agree BIA is not remotely progressive.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

slipperman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 08:09
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

The Grand Illusion has only one remotely prog' track (Fooling Yourself), but the album is outstanding in musical terms, all the tracks are good and they don't have a single filler. I'm not ashamed to admit I still enjoy some of their  stuff  ubtil Cornerstone (Except Babe) very much when I'm in the right mood.

Iván

"Castle Walls", "The  Grand Finale" and "Come Sail Away" are definitely more than remotely prog. And 'Cornerstone' is an awful, bland, boring, thin, weak, no-reason-to-exist BAD BAD BAD album.

I don't like 'Cornerstone' much.

...it is real...it is Rael...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12