Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost popular album... let it be prog...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most popular album... let it be prog...
    Posted: July 26 2007 at 13:22
Ok.. we won't discuss the recent proto-prog addition any more, I agree it's useless.

I just have a comment about our HOME page. When a newbie (to the genre or to the website) finally reaches ProgArchives, the first thing they'll see is the HOME page... now....it could be MAiden, it could be The Doors, it could be any band that I like.... but what do you think will happen when the person who arrives for the first time sees "favorite album: THE WHO"??? (or the doors or Maiden or LZ or any prog-related for that matter).... While it's very likely that he/shge'll continue researching, a few could get dissapointed that the site's most popular album and the one PROMOTED in the first page is.... The Who. Or any that's not true prog.

A few weeks ago it was FEAR of a BLANK PLANET.... then it was SYSTEMATIC CHAOS... then IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING... then WISH YOU WERE HERE... Those were truly prog-albums, representative of the genre this site tries to make known... but now... The Who???

I suggest the "most popular album" should come only from every other categiry BUT proto-prog or prog-related, as it's the FIRST thing a visitor will see when reaching our website...

"Yes, I'm looking for prog! Hey! I found a new prog site! Favorite Album.... The Who??? ... Guess I'll head for another proggier website...."

Firepuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 13:35
I have to admit that I agree with The T. I don't think admin will change the format though.

At least move it down the page a bit so that it is not the first thing a new visitor sees, maybe move Progarchive Stats to the top of the page.

Although I suspect that the Most Popular Album is in it's current position to provide a visual (picture) when the website is first opened up.
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:02
I think it is a valid point. I'll have a word with M@x about it.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 13:48
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I think it is a valid point. I'll have a word with M@x about it.

Yes... Clap.... I hope the discussion is made....Really, you can try it youirself: open our website, and you'll see... the Who! that album may be the best ever (I haven't heard it) but it's proto-prog....Not prog.... believe me, it doesn't look like you've reached a prog website when the welcome page is dominated by a non-prog album... I would've said the same if it was an iron Maiden or The Doors album, non-prog bands that I love....Allow us to review them, but do not consider those two genres when the calculations are made for the most-popular album... let's help make this site...Smile
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 14:48
I have wondered if the album on the front also gets its hits padded just by being on the front.  Seems to me, people see it and then go to it, thus perpetuating it being the most viewed.

I'm sure that has been thought about, but is there math that counteracts it?
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
 Post Reply Post Reply