Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAssociation PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Association PC
    Posted: August 02 2007 at 10:03
Is anybody familiar with this band? I read about them sometime ago and from what I read they could qualify to inclusion in the archives. Albeit I haven't yet heard a single note of their music 'cos I don't know where to get their albums from and if it's really worth it. Here's what I found in New Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock about them:

Association PC [Netherlands/Czechoslovakia/Germany]
Updated 12/25/02
Discography
Earwax (70)
Sun Rotation (71)
Erna Morena (72, Live)
Rock Around the Cock (73)
Mama Kuku (74)

Reviews
Top-drawer European jazz-rock-noise fusion band led by the phenomenal Dutch drummer Pierre Courbois. The band also featured Czech guitarist Toto Blanke, German bassist Siggi Busch, and Courbois' countryman Jasper Van't Hof on keyboards (replaced by Joachim Kuhn on Rock... and Mama Kuku), with guests Karl-Heinz Wiberny (on Erna Morena and Rock...) and Jeremy Steig (on Mama Kuku) playing various reeds and flutes. Basically, their sound is similar to early Mahavishnu or perhaps post-Wyatt Soft Machine (circa 5 or 6). Blanke's guitar playing is very McLaughlin-influenced, and Courbois' playing has some Cobham elements, but neither keyboardist is a Hammer clone, and bassist Busch plays a lot of acoustic bass, as well as electric bass. Of the 3 albums I own, Erna Morena (a live concert recording and their sole US release) is the closest to Mahavishnu/Softs-style jazz-rock fusion: i.e., lots of furious uptempo grooves in various odd time signatures with burning guitar, keyboard and saxophone solos over top. Somehow none of it sounds hackneyed or trite. Their earlier LPs (Earwax, Sun Rotation), and the later, ironically-titled Rock Around the Cock, were never issued in the US and are quite harder to find as a result. All three are heavier on the more experimental and avant-garde side of the spectrum than Erna Morena. Their final recording, Mama Kuku, is another live set featuring American flautist Jeremy Steig, has its moments, but lacks the focus of the earlier recordings. Toto Blanke recorded some fine solo records (2 with Van't Hof, saxophonist Charlie Mariano, and others) for Vertigo and other forward-looking European labels in the mid- '70s. The ones on Vertigo (Spider's Dance and Electric Circus) are worth seeking out, particularly if you like weird fusion. Van't Hof and Kuhn have recorded a whole slew of records, some great and some not-so-great. Courbois and Busch are also still active on the European jazz scene. At this writing (October 2000) rumor has it that all of the LPs listed here (plus unreleased material) are going to be reissued on CD. If you like noisy, intense fusion with a strong dose of avant-garde improvisation, you will love Association PC. -- Dave Wayne
This German fusion band was founded by drummer Piere Courbois (P.C.) and keyboarder Jasper Van't Hof from the Netherlands. The other members of the band were Germans (Toto Blanke on guitars and Sigi Bush on bass), and they lived and recorded in Germany. Their music was very difficult and experimental, a mixture of free jazz, rock and contemporary styles. They developed an extreme tension and density that is still very fascinating. In their high days they often (also in the liner notes) were compared to Soft Machine, though they didn't sound at all like that British band. Nevertheless, the dynamics and power of both groups (in the beginning of the 7ties) were quite similar. Sun Rotation and the live recording Erna Morena are probably their best releases. Van't Hof left after these two, to form Pork Pie, and was replaced by Joachim Kuehn. Mama Kuku features US flute player Jeremy Steig. -- Achim Breiling

Links
[See Apocalypse (Denmark) | Pork Pie]

Hmmm? Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 10:20
Sounds interesting.

I'll have to look out for some stuff by them
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 12:59
Nobody knows them? Confused
Dick Heath?
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Dick Heath?

Unhappy

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 17:01
Exclamation

Charles Bukowski
Tetragon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 06:38

Dick Heath?

Dick i have the below:
Sun Rotation, Live:Erna Morena, Rock around the cock & Mama kuku
Wat u wanna know?

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 07:27
Originally posted by Tetragon Tetragon wrote:

Dick Heath?

Dick i have the below:
Wat u wanna know?

Which one do you suggest? Do you know where to find them? Do you think they belong here?

BTW, I'm not Dick. Dick Heath is our jazzrock expert. My name is Bartek.

Smile

Charles Bukowski
Tetragon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 07:56

Originally posted by Tetragon Tetragon wrote:

Dick Heath?

Dick i have the below:
Wat u wanna know?

Which one do you suggest? Do you know where to find them? Do you think they belong here?

BTW, I'm not Dick. Dick Heath is our jazzrock expert. My name is Bartek.

Smile
Sorry Bartek.You either Love em or hate em...just as an example,i play Ema Morena & Rock around the cock a lot.If your into progressive Jazz fusion you'll love em.
Don't know where to find them on CD i only deal with vinyl..

Edited by Tetragon - August 08 2007 at 08:00
Tetragon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 08:11

Can i be your Jazz/Rock expert too?

Got a decent band album in the Jazz/Fusion department for you:
HAXMJOLK 'ESKIMO HEAT...

Edited by Tetragon - August 08 2007 at 08:12
 Post Reply Post Reply