Topic ClosedStarmania

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starmania
    Posted: August 10 2007 at 09:47

'Starmania' (1978) is a RockOpera by French composer/Songwriter  Michel Berger and  parolier Quebecois Luc Plamondon.(The story and lyrics are interesting)  It's  one of the most overplayed records in the French sung world. (there is also a English Sung version that I never heard) 
Still I liked most of the songs a lot when I discovered them, but you just hear them too often on French Radio and so I never bought the record.  Well the other night I drove back from Quebeck to Montreal at night and I had the radio on and  they played "Le Blues Du Businessman" sung by Claude Dubois and a little  later "La Complaine de la Serveuse automate sung by Fabienne Thibault and I realized how much I  love these songs. So I finally bought the record ... I won't put it on very often but it's a great record .

BTW apart from the excellent songwriting & lyrics there are some great musicans from the Prog & Jazz field playing just to mention  a few:
Jannick Top (Bass) , Claude Engel (Guitar) both 'Magma', Francis Monkman (Keys) 'Curved Air', Randy & Michael Brecker Brecker Bros etc. Tom Mallone,(Trombone) Jim Keltner (dr) + some famous Canadian & French  singers.

If you want to hear some easygoing French songs with a rockier edge try it out!

PS Excellent record for driving down Rue Sherbroke at night!

Edited by Alucard - August 10 2007 at 10:08
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 16:48
Une pierre angulaire de la musique québecoise, mon ami !
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 17:03
That was big. We heard loads about it in French class last semester...when we did our music project on French artists. I did mine on Harmonium, of course, and played "Le Premier Ciel" to the class and they all complained 5 minutes in that it was too long, and the teacher cut off Serge Fiori's outstanding keyboard solo!!!!!!!!!!!!! But that, of course, has nothing to do with Starmania. 
 Post Reply Post Reply