Topic ClosedBassist Joey Vera signed to ProgRock Records

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bassist Joey Vera signed to ProgRock Records
    Posted: September 03 2007 at 11:25
JOEY VERA IS SIGNED TO PROGROCK RECORDS AND RELEASE “CIRCLES”
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA ­ 3 September 2007 -- A Chinese Firedrill “circles” is a solo project from veteran bassist/producer Joey Vera. Joey has been in the music business since 1981 having been involved in many groups including Armored Saint, Fates Warning (both of which he is still a current member), Anthrax, OSI, Tribe After Tribe, Chroma Key, Seven Witches and Engine to name a few.

The CD was written, recorded and performed by Joey from May 2005 to June 2006. Truly a solo project, Joey performs all of the instruments and vocals with the exception of the drum tracks which were performed by a local friend. The music on “circles” was conceived out of a desire to pull influences from the past and subject the writing process to an experiment in arrangements and instrumentation. To put the necessary label on the type of music on this record, Joey is calling it Prog/Art Rock. The record draws from his early influences such as Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Rush, and from more recent influences such as Tool, Porcupine Tree, Kings X and OSI.

Joey had this to say: " I've finally found a home for my solo record. Prog Rock has stepped up to allow my record to have a home amongst some of the more daring recordings available. I'm honored to be a part of the company and I look forward to making more music in the future!".

”I really knew Joey from Fates Warning, OSI and Chroma Key and always really liked his work, when I heard about this album I contacted him and he sent me a copy, which I absolutely loved, so I'm especially happy that I'm now able to work with this amazingly talented musician and get this CD out to more people.”, said Shawn Gordon, President of ProgRock Records.

”Circles” is the ProgRock Records debut release from A Chinese Firedrill and can be found at http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=84. The album is available for immediate order and will ship in mid September and be available at your favorite brick and mortar retailer on November 6, 2007. Presales are discounted $2 on the ProgRock Records site until the album starts shipping.

A Chinese Firedrill (Joey Vera) Contact Information:
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 16:19
The guy can play bass! I have his ARMOURED SAINT stuff ,and ENGINE albums too.I really felt the tracks he plays on the second OSI album rock out heavier because of him. Of course FATES WARNING is where i like him best. Good news,i'm sure it's a good record.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
BigBoss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 16:22
It's very different than what you expect, but it is very good, there is a 3 minute medely you can hear at http://www.progrockrecords.com/audio/143/Circles.wav

I really dig it myself, very catchy, I think you'll be impressed at how good Joey is on so many instruments and at composing.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
www.mindawn.com
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 23:38
Yeah i'm sure i'll be surprised,i had no idea he could play all of those instruments.Quite an undertaking really. I'll check out the sound clip.Thanks.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2007 at 23:56
Ok i got on his MySpace page and listened to three songs.I know hearing them all one time isn't really fair,but he really has some mellow tunes in the PORCUPINE TREE vein.I'm not sure about the vocals because the sound on my computer isn't the greatest,but i am intrigued with this project.Not what i expected as you suggested.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 22:39
Joey Vera is incredible,and from the samples I have heard so far I am very impressed.

From what info I could dig up on this release I see he plays everything but the drums.His voice isn't all that bad,which surprised me.

Defintely not like his other work,and I think that is really cool.It's nice to see an artist stretch his boundaries and trying something different.

Post Reply Post Reply