Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 16:58
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

I've played Steely Dan and Donald Fagen (especially Nightfly) as part of many jazz rock playlists on my radioshow for quarter of a decade without hesitation, simply  because they fit in with their special form of jazz fused with rock - ditto Joni Mitchell's mid/late 70's recordings. Most know my feeling wrt jazz rock and prog rock - especially as a member of the old guard who have always seen/heard prog as a fusion of rock with one or more other musical genre. Increasingly I feel, it's these johnnie come latelies who haven't been there from the start of progressive music, so not exposed firsthand to the genre before it got narrowed to the sort of music the main 5 bands produced 1971 - 1976. Certainly Steely Dan's music is miles away from Yes or Genesis, but it aint't miles away from the jazz rock fusion of MO, WR, Tasavallan Presidentti, BST, early Chicago etc. etc.

However, whilst part of the site is ultra-liberal to who is let in, we get into these anus-staring debates over the likes of Dan, who's output includes music  more worthy of being here than Queen etc. etc.  A final nag, if as was suggested by many 4 or 5 years ago, we had a section  that had elected, selected albums from a band's discography which had genuine prog elements - rather than the whole shebang - then we would be better off, and maybe avoid debates about Dan, Styx etc.

I'm not an expert on SD, though I have heard most of their albums, and like them a lot. However, I wish someone listened to the above wise words by Dick, who knows more about music than most of usClap, instead of ignoring him as it all too often happens.

This doesn't mean I support SD's inclusion, or that I don't understand some people's reservations. Having been part of the Admin Team, I know that every controversial addition means spending a couple of weeks reprimanding people and closing threads, and no one wants to do that.

Dick was dead on as usual...  and Raff you have a more direct way of putting things than I do.  I don't necessarily support their inclusion... but you better believe I understand why this group is called for again ...and again... and again for inclusion here.  I see the reasons for not including them.. and the reasons for including them  in a full prog sub. My concern. which I've been talking to Bob about ..are  the team concept.  My objectivity about SD can be, hell probably is LOL,  questioned since I'm a big fan... but are you going to question Richard's as well?  That man KNOWS jazz-rock. LOL  If Jazz Rock is a sub-genre here.. that team should at least be able to decide whether it fits the site.  This never has been about Xover.. Dean and I have never even discussed the possiblity of adding them. Our debates are open to all collabs.

anyhow.... think this subject has been talked to death... in public at least. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 17:16
If Steely Dan would be on this site, Donald Fagen (solo) would have a good chance here as well
Follow your bliss
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 08:27
Originally posted by unclemeat69 unclemeat69 wrote:

If Steely Dan would be on this site, Donald Fagen (solo) would have a good chance here as well

oh yeah.... he would..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
MrBertstown View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 22:28
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

I wish I had Aja or pretzel logic.

I have Gaucho and some greatest hits album, but they are a bit too poppy, with minimal jazz jam session time as what seem to be on the above two. Great band though, just need a bit more.

My mom is a die-hard Steely Dan fan and In one book called Music Hound, Steely Dan was in the Art-Rock section. (Not making this up!)

Here's the songs that could give them the elegibility....

1-Do It Again
2-Fire in the Hole
3-Turn that Heartbeat over again
4-Bohittsava
5-The Boston Rag
6-King of the World
7-Your Gold Teeth (Part II)
8-Throw Back the Little Ones
9-Green Earings
10-Peg

Other than that...I consider them a Jazz-Rock Band like Chicago or Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
Thank God for Kids who love Obscure Things.
Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:27
Steey Dan is at least prog related now. I used to think otherwise but Zep's inclusion changed things dramatically.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 06:29
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Steey Dan is at least prog related now. I used to think otherwise but Zep's inclusion changed things dramatically.

LOL.   Everybody except for The Sex Pistols is at least prog related by that measuring stick.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 17:53
Originally posted by MrBertstown MrBertstown wrote:

I have Gaucho and some greatest hits album, but they are a bit too poppy, with minimal jazz jam session time as what seem to be on the above two. Great band though, just need a bit more.

My mom is a die-hard Steely Dan fan and In one book called Music Hound, Steely Dan was in the Art-Rock section. (Not making this up!)

1-Do It Again
2-Fire in the Hole
4-Bohittsava
5-The Boston Rag
6-King of the World
9-Green Earings
10-Peg

Other than that...I consider them a Jazz-Rock Band like Chicago or Blood, Sweat, and Tears.

well put...

again....I refer people to Dick Heath's excellent post above.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 19:46
Originally posted by MrBertstown MrBertstown wrote:

1-Do It Again
2-Fire in the Hole
4-Bohittsava
5-The Boston Rag
6-King of the World
9-Green Earings
10-Peg

Good enough for me. Tongue  By the way, you need to move King of the World to the number one spot. Big%20smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345