FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGMedia’s M-Tron - Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: GMedia’s M-Tron - Questions
    Posted: March 14 2005 at 20:24

1. What software is required to run this ?  I understand that another software package
of some kind must be purchased in addition to this Gmedia product...

2. Is this product worth buying ?

3. Does it sound fairly close to an authentic Mellotron ?

4. Do you have a keyboard attached to the computer to run it ?

thanks for your time

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 02:49

Originally posted by utah_man utah_man wrote:

1. What software is required to run this ?  I understand that another software package
of some kind must be purchased in addition to this Gmedia product...

It's a plug-in, so you'll need to run a host program (I use Sonar, Cubase, and ACID- they all support it). Basically anything that handles VST instruments will do it, and that includes some freeware and shareware if you're worried about having to pay for another piece of software.

2. Is this product worth buying ?

Yes, if you love Mellotron sounds it's probably the best way to get 'em (though I use a free plug-in called Tapeworm that's pretty good)

3. Does it sound fairly close to an authentic Mellotron ?

If you compare them side by side, you might be able to tell the difference...but we're talking about minute anal differences. You could fool almost anyone with it.

4. Do you have a keyboard attached to the computer to run it ?

No, you can audition sounds right from the keyboard on the plug-in or trigger it with the host program's sequencer.

thanks for your time

just for comparison, here's the Tapeworm link (it doesn't have an on-screen keyboard though):

http://www.tweakbench.com/instruments.php?id=6

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 05:13
This Tapeworm plug in sounds interesting. I shall investigate..

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 11:00

JL:
"Basically anything that handles VST instruments will do it, and that includes some freeware and shareware if you're worried about having to pay for another piece of software..."

Exactly.

Got a link to any of these VST freeware/shareware programs that will run M-tron ?

again...thanks for your time...

edit: wait... your link has a VST engine it looks like...

Edited by utah_man
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 15:43

For a basic (and free) VST host, try this one:

http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html

it looks like it does exactly what you want (and not much more). I believe any VST instrument can be loaded up within the host and played onscreen using the virtual keyboard.

Yep, Tapeworm is a VST instrument too. I know for a fact that I can get a dead ringer for the "Starless" sound, but it's been more tricky trying to get it to do a convincing "Watcher of the Skies"...and "Siberian Khatru" has me a little stumped. 

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 15:06
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

For a basic (and free) VST host, try this one:

http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html

it looks like it does exactly what you want (and not much more). I believe any VST instrument can be loaded up within the host and played onscreen using the virtual keyboard.

Yep, Tapeworm is a VST instrument too. I know for a fact that I can get a dead ringer for the "Starless" sound, but it's been more tricky trying to get it to do a convincing "Watcher of the Skies"...and "Siberian Khatru" has me a little stumped. 

I got GMedia's M-Tron in the mail yesterday + downloaded this stuff from these links.  (I did have to get the ASIO drivers too).

Anyway...Whoa... this is really cool.  You were right, it's VERY AUTHENTIC.  I also figured out how to play chords, etc. etc. without a physical keyboard. 

Thanks again JL

Ankaret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 01:58
I didn't want to make a new thread, but rather ask my possibly stupid question in here.  Someone mentioned something about hooking up a real keyboard to the computer and having it processed through a VST plugin that say mimics a mellotron or a moog.  Does something like this exist?! Where I could actually just plug in the keyboard into a pre-amp or even directly into the line-in and with a clean "piano" type setting play something and have it "reprocessed" in say Cubase with some wonderful plugin and make it sound like a mellotron etc?! Links to any of these?!  If this does not exist, does anyone have experience with a virtual hammond/mellotron/moog synth plugin that comes close to allowing you to achieve results almost like what you hear on favorite records?!
Links to musical projects coming soon!!!
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 14:24

Ankaret:

most modern keyboards have a MIDI connection...MIDI allows you to 'play' completely different equipment with the same keyboard. It's as easy as that; the MIDI interface reads the notes that you're playing and sends them to whatever destination you're connected to.

On a PC, it can be any of thousands of software synthesizers, samplers and emulators, some of which sound very authentic. Check out the "plug-ins" thread for some more info.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 14:56
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

Ankaret:

most modern keyboards have a MIDI connection...MIDI allows you to 'play' completely different equipment with the same keyboard. It's as easy as that; the MIDI interface reads the notes that you're playing and sends them to whatever destination you're connected to.

On a PC, it can be any of thousands of software synthesizers, samplers and emulators, some of which sound very authentic. Check out the "plug-ins" thread for some more info.

So if I get a software keyboard,will I be able to play the Minimoog,CS80V and other demo downloads I have? Smile

Ankaret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 01:49

Well, my computer doesn't have a MIDI in anywhere, it's a VAIO pc (the one I record on anyway) and it's got onboard sound, so I don't think it's got a MIDI input at all (I looked, didn't see any).  Do they make some kind of MIDI/USB adapters or something?! Or would I have to buy a seperate MIDI capable soundcard?!

Also, another question, Ive been looking into getting a vocoder/synthesizer, but one geared more towards rock and more generic "keyboard" type uses, rather than a crazy wigged out hip hop / dance music techno effects sort of deal. The two Ive been looking at are the miniKorg and this other Alesis one which are in the same price range and Ive actually played the Korg at the store and liked it quite a bit, though there was a lot of unneeded stuff as I described, and I couldn't find any sort of organ/mellotron sounds on it or anything. What do you guys think  of these, and is there something better I should look at in this price range?!

(the Korg) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/bas e_id/85645

(The Alesis) http://http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/search/deta il/base_pid/705522/

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 04:54
Originally posted by Ankaret Ankaret wrote:

Well, my computer doesn't have a MIDI in anywhere, it's a VAIO pc (the one I record on anyway) and it's got onboard sound, so I don't think it's got a MIDI input at all (I looked, didn't see any).  Do they make some kind of MIDI/USB adapters or something?! Or would I have to buy a seperate MIDI capable soundcard?!

There are several USB keyboards available, and also joystick-to-MIDI adapters, and USB to MIDI adapters (I use one, a "Midiman Midisport 2x2"). If you've got any kind of holes in your PC at all, chances are you can connect a keyboard in some way.

Also, another question, Ive been looking into getting a vocoder/synthesizer, but one geared more towards rock and more generic "keyboard" type uses, rather than a crazy wigged out hip hop / dance music techno effects sort of deal. The two Ive been looking at are the miniKorg and this other Alesis one which are in the same price range and Ive actually played the Korg at the store and liked it quite a bit, though there was a lot of unneeded stuff as I described, and I couldn't find any sort of organ/mellotron sounds on it or anything. What do you guys think  of these, and is there something better I should look at in this price range?!

(the Korg) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/bas e_id/85645

(The Alesis) http://http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/search/deta il/base_pid/705522/

I like the microKorg/ MS2000B a lot...I'm not sure which Alesis you looked at because your link didn't work for me. A lot of the new vocoder-equipped keyboards are pretty dance-oriented (I like the Novation K-station especially) but they should be able to do what you want. I use the vocoder built into my Boss SE50 effects (cheap and decent quality) and an Opcode Fusion Vocoder plug-in.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Ankaret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 11:52

Cool, but I will for sure have to get a cable/adapter that has a MIDI out from the keyboard am I correct?! I can't just line-in my keyboard and have it pickup as MIDI right?!

I guess Ill toy around with the microKORG some more at the store before buying it, but thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated. (got any samples of what your vocoder setup sounds like?)

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 12:45
Just a normal MIDI cable.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 17:32
Originally posted by Ankaret Ankaret wrote:

Cool, but I will for sure have to get a cable/adapter that has a MIDI out from the keyboard am I correct?! I can't just line-in my keyboard and have it pickup as MIDI right?!

I guess Ill toy around with the microKORG some more at the store before buying it, but thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated. (got any samples of what your vocoder setup sounds like?)

correct, line-in is audio...totally different from MIDI, which is really just bits of information telling the synth on the other end of the line what notes to play.

I'll check whether I have any vocoder samples.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 08:30
the arturia minimoog and moog modular( which i own) are both extremely convincing software realizations of famous synth hardwares. their design and engineering was supervised by ol' bobby moog himself and yu can tell. they are out of this world at a couple of hundred dollars each (compare to thousands for the real deal).
 Post Reply Post Reply