Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy drummers get no respect.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why drummers get no respect.
    Posted: March 16 2005 at 17:36
Drummed right out of a job

A service station attendant scared the customers with his riffs, the manager says.

By varUsername = "[email protected]";document.write("CLARK KAUFFMAN"); CLARK KAUFFMAN
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
March 15, 2005

A Cedar Rapids service station attendant's penchant for "air drumming" has cost him his job.

Last summer, Christopher Garcia began working at the Hawkeye Downs Sinclair station and convenience store in Cedar Rapids.

Soon after he was hired, customers complained to store manager Judi Moorman that the 46-year-old Garcia was constantly playing an imaginary set of drums - using real drumsticks - while listening to music through headphones. Some of the customers reportedly said they were fearful of being struck by an errant drumstick during one of Garcia's air solos.

"My customers were feeling threatened by it," Moorman testified at a recent state hearing to determine whether Garcia was entitled to unemployment benefits. "They didn't feel comfortable that these sticks were flying around. And, you know, he would get rather close to people."

Moorman reviewed the store's security videotapes, which allegedly showed Garcia air drumming while behind the cash register and while moving about the store. She said Garcia was "very inattentive" while engaged in air drumming, and the store experienced an increase in shoplifting. She said that after Garcia ignored her warnings to keep his drumsticks at home, she decided to fire him.

Garcia testified at the hearing that his drumsticks went everywhere with him.

"I never go anywhere without my drumsticks," he said. "I guess the best way to put it - and it's going to sound silly - is that they're like my pacifier. I always have them in my hands. I do. I do."

Garcia said Monday that he has played drums since he was 5 years old.

"My drums are not a joke; they are a part of me," he said. "People used to come into the store and say, 'Dude, you're so good with those drumsticks.' "

An administrative law judge has denied Garcia's request for benefits, ruling that he committed job misconduct. Garcia is appealing that decision.

I wonder if VB played air drums while flying his F-16's?

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 17:55
Drums are (with the exception of singing) the only instrument you can practice anywhere. That's why I still love playing them after all this time. 
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 03:19
My own air drumming was legendary for a while; being a disciple of the great god Peart, I could play perfectly (in my head, anyway) the drum lines for Spirit Of Radio, Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato...

God knows what this would have sounded like had I been sitting behind a kit at the time.

I still dabble (especially, at the moment, when listening to Gazeuse)...

Originally posted by Sigod Sigod wrote:

Drums are (with the exception of singing) the only instrument you can practice anywhere

Air drumming, on the other hand, is probably the second most embarrassing activity your partner can walk in and catch you doing!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Balor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 05:51
Man, I get no any respect from my band and I don't why... It's suck man.
Occido Sano
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 10:49

Most guys that suck don't get respect from their band mates. Have you tried NOT sucking?

synthguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 18:44
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Most guys that suck don't get respect
from their band mates. Have you tried NOT sucking?

I agree, Not sucking is a great way to make friends and
influence people.
Cheers!

Edited by synthguy
Wearing feelings on our faces when our faces took a rest...
JrKASperov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 06:01
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Air drumming, on the other hand, is probably the second most embarrassing activity your partner can walk in and catch you doing!

Don't remind me
Epic.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 12:19
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Drummed right out of a job

A service station attendant scared the customers with his riffs, the manager says.

By varUsername = "[email protected]";document.write("CLARK KAUFFMAN"); CLARK KAUFFMAN
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
March 15, 2005

A Cedar Rapids service station attendant's penchant for "air drumming" has cost him his job.

Last summer, Christopher Garcia began working at the Hawkeye Downs Sinclair station and convenience store in Cedar Rapids.

Soon after he was hired, customers complained to store manager Judi Moorman that the 46-year-old Garcia was constantly playing an imaginary set of drums - using real drumsticks - while listening to music through headphones. Some of the customers reportedly said they were fearful of being struck by an errant drumstick during one of Garcia's air solos.

"My customers were feeling threatened by it," Moorman testified at a recent state hearing to determine whether Garcia was entitled to unemployment benefits. "They didn't feel comfortable that these sticks were flying around. And, you know, he would get rather close to people."

Moorman reviewed the store's security videotapes, which allegedly showed Garcia air drumming while behind the cash register and while moving about the store. She said Garcia was "very inattentive" while engaged in air drumming, and the store experienced an increase in shoplifting. She said that after Garcia ignored her warnings to keep his drumsticks at home, she decided to fire him.

Garcia testified at the hearing that his drumsticks went everywhere with him.

"I never go anywhere without my drumsticks," he said. "I guess the best way to put it - and it's going to sound silly - is that they're like my pacifier. I always have them in my hands. I do. I do."

Garcia said Monday that he has played drums since he was 5 years old.

"My drums are not a joke; they are a part of me," he said. "People used to come into the store and say, 'Dude, you're so good with those drumsticks.' "

An administrative law judge has denied Garcia's request for benefits, ruling that he committed job misconduct. Garcia is appealing that decision.

I wonder if VB played air drums while flying his F-16's?

I wish they could have been F-16's but they were outdated CF-101 Voodoos that you guys had sitting in mothballs when I was flying them here in Canada! I play air drums everywhere even on my dogs  their heads make good ride or crash cymbals. My wife doesn't like it very much when I use her head as any kind of cymbal especially at the breakfast table when I have a Knife & fork in my hand.
 Post Reply Post Reply