Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNursery Cryme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nursery Cryme
    Posted: November 16 2007 at 18:01

About two weeks ago, a very special event took place in Duisburg (Germany). To thank their German fans for their support since 2003 (their touring debut in Europe) the wonderful "Genesis" cover band "The Musical Box" played a "Nursery Cryme" show.

They had never done this in Europe (actually the last time they did it was in Canada, some twelve years ago). Unlike later shows, "Genesis" won't have a unique tracklist of this tour. Some examples :

From their very first gig outside in the UK, a very rare recording from "La Ferme V" in Brussels indicates that they opened with Happy The Man. The rest of the show was as such : Stagnation, The Light (which is a long song already integrating Liliwhite Lilith (remember this is a 1971 recording), Twilight Alehouse, The Musical Box, The Knife and Going Out To Get You (a never released song). One can already listen to Peter's little stories (in French for most of them - remember, it was in Brussels).

Harlequin has also been played during this tour (extremely rare like in Watford on March 4th, 1972) as well as Seven Stones (only once in Genova - August 22nd, 1972).

At the end of the tour, the set list was as follows : Watcher Of The Skies (which will be their opener till "The Lamb" tour when it will be switched into an encore, Can Utility And The Coastliners, Fountain Of Salmacis, Twilight Alehouse, Musical Box, The Return Of The Giant Hogweed and The Knife as an encore.

Therefore, this "The Musical Box" show was more improvised than the regular ones. There was also less stress on Denis (the singer). He wasn’t obliged to BE PG so much than during the traditional shows. Lots of fun!

Set list in Duisburg ?

OK, here we go : "Watcher" (Denis will explain that “Genesis” had integrated this song towards the end of the “Nursery Cryme” tour”, then "Stagnation" (I like this song very much and it was a highlight for me), Fountain (fantastic live experience), Happy The Man (not the best of the show but it was the very first time that the band did it. Denis will introduce it by saying :”This is the first time we do it. I hope we won’t screw it all up!”).

Another great and awaited moment was “Twighlight Alehouse”. A hidden jewel of their repertoire. Could have fit perfectly on the album instead of some short other ones (“Harlequin” and “For Absent Friends”), and "Can-Utility".

The second surprise (although I knew that the band would play it) will be introduced as follows. "This is an awesome song. I only have found one live performance by the band (“Genesis” of course). Here is “Seven Stones”. This is also one of my preferred song from this album. A great souvenir.

The next song will be introduced as being an original song called “The Movement” which could last for forty-five minutes. I never heard this about “Get’em Out” (but we got the traditional one). Little by little, the concert comes to an end. "Musical Box" of course (with a very short introduction; far from the one from the “Selling” tour), and to finish this grandiose set : the mighty “Hogweed”.

One encore of course : "The Knife". The crowd is cheerful, transported into heaven after this impossible show. Well, there will be a second encore. I knew which one they would play when I saw that there were some additional percussion instruments brought on stage. Yes, we were happy enough to listen and watch : “Supper’s Ready”.

Exceptional show. Because this was almost never performed before and because there was such a great atmosphere during that night.

The two hours drive back home were a bit painful but it was a wonderful night. It started very well because some leaflets distributed at the entrance announced another “The Musical Box” tour for 2008.

“A Trick Of The Tail”. In the meantime I already bought my tickets for the two Belgian shows. First row this time. See you in October 2008.Wink

ZowieZiggy
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 07:32
They are an excellent tribute band - went to see them in march on their 'Selling England' tour; we knew that Twilight Alehouse was in the band's repertoire, and were hoping for this to be played, but to no avail.

It is a shame this song doesn't appear on any official live recordings as it's a real lost gem.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply