Topic ClosedThe much loved and hated ELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 11:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

No Pat.. .the whole point is the group didn't have a keyboardist when they composed  GoD and large parts of the album.    The whole group dynamic had changed.. the sound...  not because of the lack of wakeman... but of  not having a keyboardist in the band. LOL  Moraz was brought in ...well into the sessions for the album. 

I still think Moraz was an integral piece of the sound even if he didn't contribute compositionally.  He did a great job - that isn't to say they couldn't have found someone else who would, but that someone would not have been Wakeman - he couldn't wrap his head around what they created, whether that was a polite way of saying he hated it and thought it was sh*t, I don't know.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 11:21
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

No Pat.. .the whole point is the group didn't have a keyboardist when they composed  GoD and large parts of the album.    The whole group dynamic had changed.. the sound...  not because of the lack of wakeman... but of  not having a keyboardist in the band. LOL  Moraz was brought in ...well into the sessions for the album. 

I still think Moraz was an integral piece of the sound even if he didn't contribute compositionally.  He did a great job - that isn't to say they couldn't have found someone else who would, but that someone would not have been Wakeman - he couldn't wrap his head around what they created, whether that was a polite way of saying he hated it and thought it was sh*t, I don't know.

Wakeman ...like Bruford before him.. thought Yes had milked the cow of exteneded compostions dry.  He  came back for the GFTO sessions when they got back to working on 'songs' again... Awaken not withstanding.   I mean... as brilliant as GoD was from a technical .. a 'playing' standpoint.  What happened when you removed Wakmans compositional genius from the equation is Anderson took over.. and the result... GoD is a souped up version of an early Floyd song.  Nothing new at all.  Both Bruford and Wakeman were right...  LOL

that is very true about Moraz... he did bring a jazzier side that Wakeman didn't have,.. .that is much more evident in live recordings ... his  take on the TFTO material  is pretty damn cool.  Again though... I'll stick to my guns though .. that Yes was always Yes.. with the vocal harmonies and Squires Bass...  those were the true integral parts of the Yessound.  Wakeman and others were replaceable and the sound shifted only slightly.. usually  only through the stylistic variances of  the player.  Those two things though. .are what defined Yes's sound. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jmcdaniel_ee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 12:04
Originally posted by profanatio profanatio wrote:

I think that the charge that ELP did not make consistent records is probably due to the fact that Emerson had so many musical influences in his life that he wanted to show them all on the ELP records. Thats why we have Benny the Bouncer, The Sheriff, Jeremy Bender and other stuff that showed a lighter side of ELP and also helped to break up the heaviness of the over all release. Some call it inconsistent.. I call it brilliant. I guess you had to "get" their humor

Maybe this is where my main complaint with ELP is: discretion.  When I listen to an album with cool, serious stuff like Jerusalem and Tocotta or the Endless Enigma and then hear Benny the Bouncer or the Sheriff, I just get turned off.  If it was a Zappa album, then that kind of gear shift would be expectable, but to me the silly songs and ballads usually ruin the mood.  Yes and Genesis have ballad moments, and moments of humor (well, not much in Yes) but they don't seem like a HUGE departure from the rest of their music.  In the case of ELP it DOES seem like a HUGE departure from how they normally sound. 

To use movies as an analogy, Dave Chapelle (who I find very funny) doing some comic relief bit about drugs or race relations while playing a character in the actual Lord of the Rings movies would've been very out of place.  When a band throws in everything including the kitchen sink, it makes the work seem like a cheesy variety hour show.  (Sometimes it works well, like in Zappa's case.)  That being said, when ELP were on, they were on fire! (as was mentioned earlier)  But in my opinion, they didn't excel at humorous songs or ballads.  (The live set minus Nutrocker from PoaE is my favorite 15 min of ELP music, probably because it doesn't contain any humor/ballads--and it's totally bitchin'.Thumbs%20Up)  My complaint isn't that I think they're pretentious (like a lot of haters claim), it's more that I don't particularly like the way their material flows from song to song.  Therefore I wouldn't say I don't like them, I just have a few issues.
ES335 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 17:55
The Moraz situation doesn't make for the best analogy. I think you hear a huge difference between Bill Bruford and Alan White though. Bruford swings much harder, Alan White is a great drummer but not much swing to him.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 10:09
Originally posted by ES335 ES335 wrote:

The Moraz situation doesn't make for the best analogy. I think you hear a huge difference between Bill Bruford and Alan White though. Bruford swings much harder, Alan White is a great drummer but not much swing to him.

Well, I'm still not sure about the whole "Moraz doesn't count" thing, but I totally agree with you on Bruford/White.  It'll be the last word on it from me since this is an ELP thread, not a Yes thread.

To get back on track:  I'm actually missing some important albums...I don't even own Trilogy CryEmbarrassed
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 13:10

There was very little swing to Bruford back in the Yes days.  One of the main criticisms of him was that he played far too mechanically.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 13:32
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

To get back on track:  I'm actually missing some important albums...I don't even own Trilogy CryEmbarrassed

OuchLOL  For those who routinely criticize the albums.. .this one seems to be the highest regarded as far as 'evenness' across the length of it.  Great album... if a bit more 'subdued' than other ones.  The gaps between the highs and lows are much...much less than other albums,  in the eyes of others based on the feedback I've  read of it

Edited by micky - December 18 2007 at 13:32
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 02:18

Originally posted by profanatio profanatio wrote:

Emerson is unquestionably the greatest multi keyboard player to ever live

Chick Corea and Joe Zawinul make Keith Emerson look like Billy Joel.

Hey Billy Joel is actually a very accomplished classical player, but I get your point.

There was once a poll on here that pitted Emerson vs Chick Corea and 80% said Emerson would wipe the floor... I can not even type it, it is so absurd. Let me try again - wipe the floor with Corea.

It is peoples obsession and Emerson's own ego that turn people off. Did they do classical compositions? Well yes, but not too impressive compared to how they boasted.

Simple rock versions of mid level complexity compositions, that were way dumbed down. I still say cool when I hear it, but I never took them that seriously.

Oh and to the person who said that the great classical composers were hissed at in their day. That for the most part is simply not true and is actually quite the opposite from what really was going on. Mozart and Bach were defiantly not scorned because of their ability or compositional complexity. Also Emerson is a darn good rock player, but not a good classical composer or a top notch player (average at best ).

The one thing I do agree with is that they brought classical type music to the masses (though some of it made me cringe). Its sometimes had to believe that the Classical form was popular music for many years (and still is in many parts of the world) but at that time 70's it was not for anyone under 30. So when ELP came out and 16 year old kids were talking about Bach (although in an altered form) I thought it was a good thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12