Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Possibly the most complicated thing ive ever heard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossibly the most complicated thing ive ever heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 15:01
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

DT has made more complex songs that that!

DT tends to stick to one meter. These guys are playing in 2 at once: 4/4 and Pi LOL
reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 17:50
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

Yea that video is pretty embarrassing. I've noticed alot of bands like this: "whatever-core" style band playing complex time sigs, polyrhythms,  even keyboards... but everything that I've heard seems like its all put together just to make a heavy breakdown that kids are supposed to hardcore dance to. Its all the rage here in Fort Worth, TX. You can't visit a high school without seeing the trendy kids sporting shirts from bands like these. I'd hate to make those kind of generalizations, but I haven't heard anything that tells me otherwise. I've found that once you get over the whole shock factor of the insanely heavy, aggressive sound that they're all going for, there's not really much left to discover.Am I wrong though? Am I missing anything?

I agree, does flash over substance sound familiar to you? A lot of bands use weird time signatures or aggression as a novelty to get people to listen to them. The problem is people should recognize the novelty and move on, but for some reason they do not. Most people are not trained in music appreciation so they fall for the flash. Do not worry if you feel inferior, because these bands do not know how to write music either.
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 15:06
^^^^I think I'm just frustrated more than feeling inferior. I like to have a vulnerable, humble and open minded tone to some topics where I think I have the gist of what's going on and what we're talking about, but I'm not 100% sure, and I might of missed something. This kinda of music is something that I don't listen to alot (but I am exposed to it alot, cause of my younger brother) and I didn't want to make any ignorant generalizations.

But the frustration comes from the fact that this music is soooo popular among young "music fans". They only listen to it for a fake sense of sophistication in their metalcore.

"derrrrr our time signatures f----ing include Pi, we're intellectual motherf---ers"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 15:09
They have they Pi symbol all over their merch, also. I wonder if they can even define Pi geometrically and mathematically, or if they just thought it looked really cool.

Edited by explodingjosh - January 20 2008 at 15:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 15:45
Originally posted by 7/8_owns_4/4 7/8_owns_4/4 wrote:

Originally posted by Hirgwath Hirgwath wrote:

OK...that video...was a bit of a surprise.

Yuck.

On the other hand, I find this video awe-inspiring (not in terms of composition, before you post about how they have no understanding of musical theory...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

Talk about damn good music. DEP is one of the best tech hardcore bands out there.

Perhaps I should have realized before I registered on this forums that this is more of the Genesis, Rush type progressive crowd, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Although Rush is one of my all time favorite bands, these days I'm more into Jazz and metal these days (Between the Buried & Me, Meshuggah[favorite], Death, Cynic, Atheist, Planet X, Allan Holdsworth, Bruford, Pat Metheny) so one would think that I would totally dig something like this, judging by the subject.

I think the friction in this thread is caused because bands like this one (again, I hate generalizations) make 'complex' music for the sake of being different and slllllightly sophisticated in their own little world of metalcore, and most of the bands that we progheads (generalization) are into are the ones that invole and include complexity, with weird time signatures and whatever else, but they offer more than just that. Band like the ones I mentioned above have elements like polyrhythms, time sigs, millions of riffs, but also have feeling, harmonies (whether pretty or dissonant), texture, etc. to create something more.

That Pi song seems so hinged on that single polyrhythm that it loses novelty pretty quick, for me at least. You'll probably be able to impress kids who only listen to hardcore with stuff like this, but, as snobby as it sounds... I don't think that band or that kind of music is even in the same league.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 16:05
^^ Jesus Christ, Josh, you're totally right, don't be so timid about it. This After the Burial band purely sucks. Listen to Future Breed Machine by Meshuggah (or any one of the good songs in that style), then listen to any ATB song and laugh your ass off. These stooges wish they could make good music, but they can't; they are incapable. You saw the video; it's plain to see that they're idiots. A Pi symbol, I mean c'mon, what douchebags.

Hey thread starter, learn about music before you embarrass yourself like this again.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 16:29
lol

hey by the way, KingCrimson776, are you a Mars Volta fan yet??Tongue

Edited by explodingjosh - January 20 2008 at 16:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 16:49
Hell no, I saw the clip of them on The Henry Rollins Show; confirmed my beliefs.
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 17:35
I really think you guys are underestimating this music. It is no meshuggah by any means, but meshuggah are in a league all their own. The guitarist is pretty good from the pi song, and the drummer is completly polymetric. So yeah, the music is a bit lacking on the composition side (I thought the pi song, which is what the thread is based on, was well-composed, but some of their other songs are meat-and-potatoes), but it is still not crap. I really like the Pi song. The fact that they memorized the first 71 numbers of pi and played it is impressive enough as is, I mean, I've never tried memorizing pi, but that sounds pretty hard at least. I also liked how it was set up, with the classical guitar thing, silence, some industrial sounds, and how once they were on the pi part, they used stereo effects and stuff to retain the effect.

Here's the first 71 digits of pi if you want to count it out...

3.1415 92653 58979 32384 62643 38327 95028 84197 16939 93751 05820 97494 45923 07816 4

Edited by Nuke - January 20 2008 at 17:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 17:35
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

The most complex thing that I've heard and enjoyed has been the music of Behold...The Arctopus

What!? You haven't heard The Rite of Spring?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 17:40
Playing Pi is complexity for the sake of it as Josh said. They just did that so they could say they did and so they could use the super cool Pi logo.

I'm sorry man, I can't imagine thinking that song sounded good. I like my drummers to be only somewhat polymetric anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123