Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCream: Proto-Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 16:35
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No time to even read what's been said, but since coming here I've felt and expressed that Cream would be a worthy addition to the archives under Proto-Prog, but never started a topic on it because the full "Prog" additions deserve more concentration.  I personally don't think that the blues elements should exclude the band, either.

except for prog seemed to be.. at least in the formative stage an attempt to get away from the blues based riffing of the late sixties and incorporate art.. structure... and other influences in music.  At least that is how I see it.

You're correct to my knowledge; that was my understanding, and I certainly wouldn't recommend Cream for a proper Prog category.  While blues was important to Cream (and how many blues covers did they do?), and some of the band's best work was sort of blues/ psychadelic fusion, the band was considerably more than just a bluesy jam rock band.   Not only do I understand the band to have been influential to the progressive rock and jam scenes, but to my ear quite a bit of the music has compositional/ structural and instrumental similarities to Prog.  I'd also say that they deviated from bluesy songs, but many such songs were not typical rock -- though had mainstream success.  Can find songs with unusual time signatures (helps that they had a jazzy drummer), jazzy elements, and use of various non-typically rock instrumentation.

Personally, I think Wheels of Fire is a pretty progressive album of 1968, and while there is the typical blues-based music, music like Pressed Rat and Warthog, Anyone for Tennis, and Passing the Time which opens in a bluesy fashion show something of the whimsy quite commonly found in Prog (and Proto-Prog).  Rather bombastic songs like Tales of Brave Ulysses (off Disreali Gears - 1967) and White Room have something of an early prog pedigree too.

Anyway, for tall this talk, it's been ages since I last listened to Cream, though I once loved the band, so perhaps I'm going on memory too much and I didn't know Prog so well then.

Perhaps people don't think Cream influential enough to Prog bands (and I suspect it may be more influential to Prog-Related ones lol) and not simailar enough in sound to those bands in Proto-Prog that set the standards (yes, I think the old if x is valid for inclusion then y does too argument, if relevantly used, has merit).

Ah well, this was bit of a waste of time typing as I don't really anything worthy of noting.

If this site sought to be the most comprehensive Prog, Prog Related, and Proto Prog (term I'd change) resource on the net, then Cream's, inclusion, I believe, would be highly warranted.  I like the idea of a pre-Prog category as it can help trace the development of progressive rock, but as it is now it is so disorganised, which is fine in a way because more work should be put into working with Prog bands/ artists.  The choices just appear so arbitrary at times.  It only natural that people will ask if x is here why not y?  And as long as it's not a case of apples and oranges, then it's fair.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 16:49
damn good post...  Cream HAS the 'rep' as a hardcore blues jam band.. and that is what brought them together I guess.. but actually listen to the studio  albums.  They were very jazzy (look at Baker and Bruce for heaven's sake hahaha) and had a strong psychedelic element to them.  I think you hit the head of the nail though..  Cream's reputation proceeds it and that is what people see when they think of Cream.  Richard made the nice point yesterday to look at a song like Crossroads.. .that is not a 'cover' of Robert Johnson... but a complete rearrangement of it. When people cover Crossroads.. they don't cover Johnson.. they are covering Cream.  Personally I think it would take a LOT of effort to try to show direct influence on prog though... and not to mention to cut through the politics and set opinions that we all know abound around here.  If we were inclusive with related.. or even PP additions ( no Velvet Underground? ..for shame hahha)  then I could see Cream having a chance perhaps.  No way though with  the way things are. Proto Prog has some real potential for this site...  adding The Who there was a big step I believe in showing the development of progressive rock..however the site hasn't really focused much on it.. might be something to consider down the road for those in the penthouse of prog. Naturally ...I have lots of suggestions and opinions regarding that hahhah. Anyhow..back to screening bands.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 18:35

wow.. touchy... listen.. I can be a bit of a prick at times.. and will fully admit it.  However David is one of the nicest and most thoughtful people on this forum.  He did not attack you... only ask you to explain yourself and your reasons. Confused

that's very sweet of you Mike    ..I should have been less confrontational with p0mt

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 18:44
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

wow.. touchy... listen.. I can be a bit of a prick at times.. and will fully admit it.  However David is one of the nicest and most thoughtful people on this forum.  He did not attack you... only ask you to explain yourself and your reasons. Confused

that's very sweet of you Mike    ..I should have been less confrontational with p0mt

'

hahahha.. my point was that you weren't... unless I am the one who didn't see it.  I sure as hell didn't think you were.. unless asking someone to explain themselves counts as being confrontational these days. LOL 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 19:10
LOL  yeah, well, I guess it's all in the wording

oh BTW, I picked up Calliope's Citta di Frontiera  ..really good!

Edited by Atavachron - February 15 2008 at 19:12
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

LOL  yeah, well, I guess it's all in the wording

ahhh... you're talking subtlety.... something completely foreign to me.LOL  You didn't call him a sonofabitch or an idiot.  so it didn't look like an attack to me hahahha
everyone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 02:54
Every blues group can improvise live.  That is the attraction to going to the concerts.  This being the case you might as well admit Albert King, Magic Sam, B. B. King, Fleetwood Mac(before the Buckingham/Nicks joined), John Mayall's Blues Breakers,....etc.  Admit all the jazz artists also because jazz is blues based.  I do not see why bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple are included only because they have only elements of prog in thier music and the length of the songs.  Wow, if this is the case for a band to be admitted into PA, you might as well let all the 1980's hair metal bands in because the length of their hair. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12