Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 5 most important prog concerts you have been too
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed5 most important prog concerts you have been too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 05:28
Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

Electric Light Orchestra, Northampton Cricket Club Clubhouse, 1970/1(?)

This was their first tour as a band and Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan were still a part of The Move at the time; the cellists didn't have their electric cellos and most of the tunes didn't even have proper titles (the working titles Jeff Lynne announced them as are unprintable here). I saw the Move and Wizzard at the same venue a few weeks either side of this gig (I was a major Move fan at the time) and one of my all-time favourite groups, The Kinks, a month or two later. Support was by a three-piece local band called Orphan, who dressed in brightly coloured workman's overalls and the only thing I can remember with any certainty is that they covered Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive surprisingly better than I first feared when they announced it.

Wow, you were going to see obscure unknown prog groups at small clubs when you were 13 years old?!!
Sheesh, were you doing calculus problems by the age of 6? That is quite impressive. Did your parents take you to gigs like this? I think you may have won the earliest prog concert award at the youngest age with that one.

lol, I have been going to concerts of obscure prog groups all my life, because my parents took me with them, even when I was still a baby

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 09:40

This was their first tour as a band and Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan were still a part of The Move at the time; the cellists didn't have their electric cellos and most of the tunes didn't even have proper titles (the working titles Jeff Lynne announced them as are unprintable here). I saw the Move and Wizzard at the same venue a few weeks either side of this gig (I was a major Move fan at the time) and one of my all-time favourite groups, The Kinks, a month or two later. Support was by a three-piece local band called Orphan, who dressed in brightly coloured workman's overalls and the only thing I can remember with any certainty is that they covered Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive surprisingly better than I first feared when they announced it.

Wow, you were going to see obscure unknown prog groups at small clubs when you were 13 years old?!!
Sheesh, were you doing calculus problems by the age of 6? That is quite impressive. Did your parents take you to gigs like this? I think you may have won the earliest prog concert award at the youngest age with that one.
ELO were not obscure in the UK before they released their first album - it was a spin-off project from The Move that was highly anticipated by the fans and music press alike in 1970 - the slight problem of the 1st album being too prog for pop audiences pushed them into relative obscurity until Roll Over Beethoven's release a couple of years later.

If I recall, my Dad drove me and a friend to see these gigs (NCC was about 12 miles away) - then came and picked us up afterwards. I had wanted to see Genesis, Hawkwind and VdGG before then, but they were just a little too freaky for him to allow it - he must have considered ELO as "safe" by comparison and Northampton Cricket Club easier for him to get to than The Nag's Head in High Wycombe (my first and only visit there was several years later to see Bauhaus) or the Friars Club in Aylesbury (which I finally joined a few years later). Big%20smile

I'd been visiting folk-clubs with my parentals for years before that and to keep up the family tradition, my daughter has been a regular attendee at the Whitby Gothic Weekend and the Glastonbury Festival from the age of 6.

I think Lee (Man Erg) beats me with the youngest and earliest prog award.
What?
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 14:15
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

lol, I have been going to concerts of obscure prog groups all my life, because my parents took me with them, even when I was still a baby

I'm sorry, but prog concerts where you spent most of your time spitting up and pooping in your diapers don't count. We have to draw the line somewhere. Somehow saying "I saw Pink Floyd when I was 2" just doesn't ring true........
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 14:28
Wow this is tough, is it?

Aussie Floyd - 2006
Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Jean Luc Ponty - Rite of Strings 2007
The End(Floyd Tribute) - The Wall 2008
that's it..I'm lame..
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 15:52
That's still better than me. At least when it comes to prog artists. Closest would be Maiden, and they're only considered prog related...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 06:42
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

My parents weren't really prog fans, but my Mom became a big fan of Santana, Kansas, and the Dixie Dregs.  I got in to see quite a few good shows at venues I was too young to be in thanks to going the shows with family. 

One of my favorite memories was seeing the Ojeda Penn Experience at a free concert in Piedmont Park (Atlanta, late '70's).  This was the version with Ricky Keller and Carol Veto (I might not have her name right).  It was outdoors on the lawn dusk time and a light rain came down, beautiful experience, wish some of you could have been there.

Another great one was when I got to do volunteer roadie at a Dixie Dregs show in Atlanta at what was then Dekalb College.  I got so close to Rod Morganstein's gong, whoohoo!.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 21 2008 at 06:53
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12