Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIbliss - German jazzrock for the Archives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ibliss - German jazzrock for the Archives
    Posted: April 19 2008 at 19:15

HI PROG FRIENDS, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

The band I’d like to talk about now is IBLISS, a short-living band from Germany that released one album titled “Supernova”, very much in the ethnic side of krautrock. Major references are early AMON DÜÜL II, YATHA SIDHRA, GILA and early EMBRYO. So here you are, a German band with lots of ethnic fusion and jazz-rock elements, yet remaining very bound to that particular German kind of psychedelia. Clearly this is more fusion than krautrock, but the krautrock element is still there, so don’t expect something as refined as WEATHER REPORT, it’s more on the rough side of experimental jazz-rock. Oh!! I forgot to tell you than an early Kraftwerk member ended up playing in this band.

Here’s a link for band info and download: http://sometimeworld.blogspot.com/2008/03/ibliss-supernova-1972-192k.html (hopefully, the links are still active).  

Other links about IBLISS and their sole album: http://www.discogs.com/release/710561, http://tmachine.chat.ru/germ/I1.htm

And of course, the Babybalue review: http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/index.php?albumId=7747&left=genre&genre=18&content=review  

Kind regards.

Special regards to jazz-rock/fusion team members.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 23:31
Don't know why I thought they were in PA already... They should be.
I'll forward this to the JRFT

Edited by avestin - April 19 2008 at 23:32
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 17:50
better suggest it for Kraut. I'm sure Philippe already knows this, and would vote yes. Like you said, it is incomprehensible why they still aren't in.

P.S. The "early Kraftwerk member" Cesar told about actually played in Organisation, proto-Kraftwerk band (which is already in the archives, within Kraftwerk's discography I assume). That said, Ibliss' sole album also has the same characteristics of the earlier Organisaiton album, experimental flute playing etc.
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 18:11
Originally posted by Bilek Bilek wrote:

better suggest it for Kraut. I'm sure Philippe already knows this, and would vote yes. Like you said, it is incomprehensible why they still aren't in.

P.S. The "early Kraftwerk member" Cesar told about actually played in Organisation, proto-Kraftwerk band (which is already in the archives, within Kraftwerk's discography I assume). That said, Ibliss' sole album also has the same characteristics of the earlier Organisaiton album, experimental flute playing etc.

I'm sorry but I have to insist on Ibliss being more jazz-rock/fusion than krautrock, although the rough approach and psychedelic dyanmics make it clear where this band comes from and what are its cultural surroundings. The same goes for EMBRYO (correctly labelled as JR/F) and NOSFERATU (wrongly labelled as krautrock).

Kind regards.

Edited by Cesar Inca - April 20 2008 at 18:13
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 06:45
Sorry for the very late reply; actually I composed the message below last week (2 days after Cesar's last post), but I felt it wasn't complete enough; however, apparently I won't have the time & peace of mind to perfect it, so let me post it as it is...
Let's agree to differ here Smile

1- First, I'm happy that we at least agree on the fact that Ibliss should be included in the archives (regardless of the genre)

2- I'll be insistent on Krautrock, without any claim whatsoever to be an expert of either genre... Philippe is the ultimate authority on Krautrock in progarchives, and there's a competent Jazz-Rock team; I'll be the last person to say any decisive word on Jazz rock, though I have a bunch of German and non-German jazz-rock favorites... (German ones are mostly filed under "Kraut-Jazz" in my hard drive Wink )
I rest my case upon two distinctive features of the band in question:
- Kraftwerk-Organisation connection; though the former moved on to progressive electronics, bringing the latter with itself, Organisation was surely a psychedelic/experimental band, reflecting a sort of "proto-kraut" style.
- I won't deny the jazzy tunes in Ibliss's Supernova, but I hear more to that. A very prominent organ, and experimental flute playing, not unlike that of the very Kraftwerk's records released that year and a year before... In fact, had they not been German, I could have voted yes for their inclusion in psych-space... (most German psyche bands have more to experimentation than mainstream psych-space; so they end up in Kraut. those which do not, like Eloy and Streetmark, showcase a distinct "British" sound, unlike many of their contemporaries...)

3- It should be noted that almost every single person related to psychedelic & experimental music has their own definition of Krautrock! In general, you see every single German rock (in some cases, even Jazz) band dumped in the general Krautrock basket, even the aforementioned Eloy, Streetmark, and obvious Jazz-fusion bands such as Out of Focus, Missus Beastly, Exmagma etc. (I'll come to Embryo example specifically later) Progarchives accepts a view defined and described by Philppe, and it is consistent within itself. I'm very curious to hear what he has to say in this regard.

4- re: the bands mentioned:
Embryo is rightfully kept in fusion, because of their bulk of work in their entire career; in fact, starting right after their first album. Opal is a psychedelic masterpiece, having little (if any) jazz influence, which might have justified Embryo's inclusion in Kraut in progarchives sense... However, increasing jazzy sound in each album, reaching to a full extent by their fourth, make Embryo essentially a fusion band. Not to mention their "world-fusion" approach since late '70's. If they only released the early '70's albums, they could have been included in kraut, or, discussed because of the jazz factor in some albums (Father, Son..., We Keep on, Rocksession...)

Nosferatu is a tricky one for me, because the first time I heard them they sounded an obvious heavy prog band to me... A second listen revealed some of the jazzy aspects (saxophone etc.), but the sound still seems too heavy to be jazz-fusion to me... it is possibly this eclectic style (plus, their nationality) which made Philippe tag them as krautrock. I'll be eager to hear his opinion on this, too...

Lastly (5), I'd like to mention other tricky bands which are -righteously- included in krautrock:
Guru Guru: this band started out as a freak-out trippy (heavy) psych band, which makes kraut tagging an essentiality. However, you can see their sound turning into a kraut-jazz style starting from mid-'70's. Based on a couple of albums (Tango Fango, Mani und Seine Freunde, Live 1978) Jazz-Rock would not be an awkward place for them! Yet, considering their entire output, and never leaving aside their tripped-out roots (Electrolurch and LSD march popping out every now and then!), krautrock still counts.
Electric Sandwich: single album, yet, multiple genres... some heaviness, slightly psychedelic, and the saxophone is certainly jazzy. This album may be the "representative" Kraut-Jazz album for me, standing right in the middle of the two subgenres. However, Philippe opted for Kraut (maybe because he was entitled to add the band from his territory Wink) and that seems a valid solution to me!

just my 2 cents!
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 10:21

^ Good analysis

This band incorporates a lot of musical influences but the essence is gloriously psychedelic and spaced out. The free jazzy improvs are deeply obscured by intricate percussions (a little touch of exoticism) and  really vibrant, moving, trancey krautrock grooves. To be clear none composition are strictly jazz rock. Marga starts this psychedelic voyage with a dancing rhythm and an amazingly bluesy-kraut effervescence with guitars battle (nothing in common with jazz rock excepted the fact that is largely improvised). "Drops" is a weird, haunted and mysterious acid-jazzy rock  but I must admit that the brass sections have more to do with "cosmic-like" fantaisies of Clearlight than with anything produced in the jazz rock subgenre. On the other side we can detect some Picchio Del Pozzo accents. I think that the jazzy dimension of Ibliss is connected with the Canterbury sound (Matching Mole and Soft Machine in priority) rather than with fusion jazz. High Life is an eccentric bluesy folk "trip". The last composition is a cloudy,  nocturnal, mysteriously "cosmic" ballad.

According to me this band has almost nothing to do with fusion jazz, this is a cosmically spacey Canterbury-inflected band.   

About Nosferatu I maintain my position...It doesn't mean that I don't accept the presence of German jazzy rockin' bands Embryo, Kraan... in the jazz rock / fusion subgenre.  I've recently suggested Wolfgang Dauner's Et Cetera for the team.   

Edited by philippe - April 29 2008 at 10:23
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 11:30
ClapClapClapClap

thanks for not just backing me up, but providing more insight into the issue... apparently you agree having Ibliss into Krautrock; since we have little (if any) possibility to include them in Canterbury list Tongue (besides, the word "cosmic" appears three times in your post, always in an affirmative sense Wink)

I may help you with the bio if needed; but first I must replenish the "You" bio, which seems to be added by me! (it's a shame for me not having a bio of a band proposed & co-added by myself! Besides, this is one of the few chances which I may leave my print in the glorious prog-electronic subgenre LOL)

next, I'll bring together my ideas about this "kraut-jazz" thing these days... there are more than those I mentioned in JRF/C thread, notably Exmagma, Xhol, Out of Focus (superb!)... I leave it to the respective team thread(s)...
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 22:51
I still eblieve this band is more about jazz than kraut (and let alone Canterbury). Anyway... let's put them into the Archives anyway. If you make me choose between kratu and space-rock, I'd go for the former, but the jazz-rock thing is better. I also believe that the definition of jazz-rock most people are handling here is too rigid. I know many jazz-rock/fusion albums that are more aggressive and ethereal than many Canterbury classics.

Kind regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply