Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnable to access the site properly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to access the site properly
    Posted: April 02 2005 at 16:01

I'm making this post from my parents' computer, because mine is having problems with the site.  Whenever I come on, the "prog index" section on the main page will be blank, and when I try to click on the "search here band or CD" bar, those words don't vanish like they normally would.  When I try to enter a search item, nothing happens.  The only way I can access bands is by clicking on their names from the front page reviews or the top 50.  When I do that, that bar listing all the bands albums that's usually on the side fails to appear, and when I click the "submit review" button, it only gives me the option to input my name and e-mail, the box for actually writing the review in isn't there.  Plus, when I go to the forum, I can't make posts, since the box that you post in at the bottom of the page won't let me click in it (it's also a different colour, can't remember which at the moment).  This has been happening for a few days now.  If anyone has any idea what the problem might be, please let me know.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 16:14
Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

I'm making this post from my parents' computer, because mine is having problems with the site.  Whenever I come on, the "prog index" section on the main page will be blank, and when I try to click on the "search here band or CD" bar, those words don't vanish like they normally would.  When I try to enter a search item, nothing happens.  The only way I can access bands is by clicking on their names from the front page reviews or the top 50.  When I do that, that bar listing all the bands albums that's usually on the side fails to appear, and when I click the "submit review" button, it only gives me the option to input my name and e-mail, the box for actually writing the review in isn't there.  Plus, when I go to the forum, I can't make posts, since the box that you post in at the bottom of the page won't let me click in it (it's also a different colour, can't remember which at the moment).  This has been happening for a few days now.  If anyone has any idea what the problem might be, please let me know.

A popup blocker???

Try switching off all pop-up blockers (esp if you use a Googletoolbar) and then try again.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 16:17

The clue is that using a different computer will allow access.

It's down to software on your PC that you might have installed recently, or a change you made to the configuration, not the site

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 16:39
I've figured out that it's probably a javascript problem.  But now my computer is completely screwed up, so I'm gonna have to take it in to get fixed.  Hopefully when it comes back this problem will be repaired.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 02:48

TOP TIP:

If you're running Windows XP, set Restore points before making ANY software changes to your system.

Then, if anything goes wrong in future, simply backtrack to one of those points.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 04:29

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

I've figured out that it's probably a javascript problem.  But now my computer is completely screwed up, so I'm gonna have to take it in to get fixed.  Hopefully when it comes back this problem will be repaired.

Do not rush your computer out to the shop for this because there are a few people that have problems , and I think that Java bit might be unfairly blamed. I do not know much about this but the number of people reporting bugs towards the Archives part of the site is rapidly increasing. Could the site be the target of hackers?

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 14:58