Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Proggy Group of the 80s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Choose between these 80s bands only, I am curious .
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [17.65%]
1 [5.88%]
2 [11.76%]
1 [5.88%]
5 [29.41%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
3 [17.65%]
1 [5.88%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 18:33
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

On this list, ULTRAVOX (Midge Ure era).......(sorry, Thomas).....Vienna, Rage in Eden and all this stuff

However i notice the biggest name DEPECHE MODE is missing. i don't like their beginnings, but from BLACK CELEBRATION to SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION, they were unbeatable.Thumbs%20Up 

Hehe, I know how deep is your "mode"LOL, nudge-nudge. Don't be sorry about Vox. Both the Foxx period and the early Ure agenda were amazing! I mean Vienna and Rage are stunning, highly melodic, buzzing music. I saw them live it was very loud but "Passing Strangers" was mindblowing as well as "MrX". I feasted on them while awaiting the prog renaissance.  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 23:41
That first Art of Noise album has its moments. 
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2008 at 03:48
Talk Talk I guess. Human League and Ultravox if late 70's releases counted.

Check out Californian band Fibonaccis. Three of the tracks are from their fantastic '82 debut. Quirky new-wave with moog and mellotron.

Edit: Click on song of the week: Second Coming underneath, too.

Edited by Rocktopus - May 30 2008 at 03:53
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2008 at 05:28
I voted for Simple Minds, their albums up to New Gold Dream are amazing (but they're rubbish from Sparkle in the Rain onwards).
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2008 at 08:34
Japan gets my vote! There was no one quite like them at the time, and in terms of musicianship I think they had the edge om most other bands in the 'Futurist/New Romantic' genre. Mik Karns fretless bass playing was astounding, and Richard Barbereis synth sounds were like no one elses. Tin Drum remains one of my favourite albums of the 80's.

Honourable mentions to Duran Duran and ABC. I saw ABC live in more recent years, and they still had it. Martin Fry was a great singer, and they produced some brilliantly crafted pop songs; symphonic pop!

I loved the power of Ultravox too, which was captured quite well on their live album (was it monument?) I'll have to dig it out sometime. Hymn and The Voice were absolute classics.

Also, I would reccomend 'Architechture & Morality' by OMD to anyone who has not heard it. Very strange and atmospheric album.

ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 10:35
I voted for Magazine because I have always been found of the band (as well as of Buzzcocks, the first band of Devoto, but that's another story).

Their first two albums are just splendid and do hold some masterpieces: "Permafrost", "Motorcade", "Back to Nature", "Cut-Out Shapes" etc.

It was very difficult to choose, 'cause I like "Ultravox!" an awful lot as well. Probably more their Foxx era which can be related to prog to a certain extent. I was lucky enough to see them as a support act for "Eddie & The Hot Rods" at the Rainbow Theater in February 1977. A great souvenir...Nostalgia, nostalgia...

The Minds are also an all-time fave of mine. Their debut album is just amazing and the second side of "Real To Real" is just gorgeous. And IMO, "Sons & Fascination" (with the incredible "Love Song") as well as "New Gold Dream" are jewels of the rock history.
ZowieZiggy
Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 10:57
I voted TalkTalk as my favorite on the list.

I'm unfamiliar with Japan though I do have the Sylvian / Fripp  album which for me is sort of  - meh.

My real favorite prog related 80's band is Dead Can Dance.  The Sisters of Mercy get honorable mention.  They're not prog at all other than Andrew Eldritch's freaky weird vocals and a sometimes surreal mood.

Art of Noise kind of drove me nuts.  The novelty wore off quickly for me.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 11:08
Originally posted by Weston Weston wrote:

I voted TalkTalk as my favorite on the list.I'm unfamiliar with Japan though I do have the Sylvian / Fripp  album which for me is sort of  - meh.My real favorite prog related 80's band is Dead Can Dance.  The Sisters of Mercy get honorable mention.  They're not prog at all other than Andrew Eldritch's freaky weird vocals and a sometimes surreal mood.Art of Noise kind of drove me nuts.  The novelty wore off quickly for me.

I can understand why some people dont like Japan. Very much an acquired taste. I also have a Sylvian/Fripp album which is ok, but a little 'meh' at time, as you say. That said, youtube Japan and look out for tracks like 'Ghosts' and 'The art of Parties' even if just to see what Porcupine Tree's Richard Barbeiri was up to back then..

I was quite a big Sisters fan, BTW. I thought 'Floodland' had a few proggy elements, with the choir in 'This Corrosion' and the two part 'mini epic' 'Dominion/Mother Russia' But I prefered their debut, 'First and Last and Always'
Weston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 11:29
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I can understand why some people dont like Japan. Very much an acquired taste. I also have a Sylvian/Fripp album which is ok, but a little 'meh' at time, as you say. That said, youtube Japan and look out for tracks like 'Ghosts' and 'The art of Parties' even if just to see what Porcupine Tree's Richard Barbeiri was up to back then..

I just Youtubed Ghost.  Wow!  Could Sylvian sound any more like Bryan Ferry?   Love those synths.  I'll check them out some more.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:10
Originally posted by Weston Weston wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I just Youtubed Ghost.  Wow!  Could Sylvian sound any more like Bryan Ferry?   Love those synths.  I'll check them out some more.

Glad you enjoyed it

It's hard to imagine these days, that something like that would be a big hit single, but it was, and it was played on mainstream daytime radio back in the day. Sad how things have changed really..

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:43
Without wishing to go off topic too much, here is a clip of one of the many Japan spin off projects that came about years after Japan split. This is Bestial Cluster, a Mik Karn project which comprised Richard Barbeiri, Mik and Steve Jansen of Japan, and on this occassion features Steve Wilson on guitar:

Bestial Cluster

Edited by Blacksword - June 01 2008 at 06:19
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:55
"Ghosts" is my favourite song by Japan, a superbly atmospheric track further enhanced by Sylvian's vocal performance. Initially, I added them in Xover, but after some controversy (which I wished to avoid), I moved them to Prog-Related.

I used to listen to The Sisters of Mercy a number of years ago, when a friend of mine, who was a fan, introduced me to their music. As for Dead Can Dance, a few months ago I got their Aion album, and was hooked big time... I found all their albums at a discounted price in one of the music stores I usually frequent, and listen to them on a regular basis. Both Brendan Perry's and Lisa Gerrard's voices are fantastic, and their music is hauntingly addictive.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

"Ghosts" is my favourite song by Japan, a superbly atmospheric track further enhanced by Sylvian's vocal performance. Initially, I added them in Xover, but after some controversy (which I wished to avoid), I moved them to Prog-Related.I used to listen to The Sisters of Mercy a number of years ago, when a friend of mine, who was a fan, introduced me to their music. As for Dead Can Dance, a few months ago I got their Aion album, and was hooked big time... I found all their albums at a discounted price in one of the music stores I usually frequent, and listen to them on a regular basis. Both Brendan Perry's and Lisa Gerrard's voices are fantastic, and their music is hauntingly addictive.

Couldn't agree more about Aion. Superb album! Every track is a gem.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 13:57
Wow! what a fab response to this poll. I was somewhat apprehensive at first but it seems that the proggy elements in the listed bands were enthralling enough to other fans besides myself.
And Yes, Dead can Dance is certainly a great journey (Aion in particular). Being a bass fetishist, I still find Karn's style unbelievable ! His second solo album Dreams of Reason is a personal favorite. Thank you all.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12