Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 07:49
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Don Cherry - Brown Rice

Jake, I'm not sure if you will be looking for any of these on vinyl, but just a hint this album was originally released as simply Don Cherry. The re-issue goes by Brown Rice.

I should have added that. Never thought of Rileydog as a vinylcollector, though.

I'd also recommend both Eternal Rhythm and Complete Communion by Cherry.

Symphonies for Improvisers is great as well.

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 08:35

I recommend some Finnish legends like Olli Ahvenlahti and Eero Koivistoinen. They're my personal favourites, and realy close to the funk-jazz/fusion scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV3DG4jrIDk

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 18:53
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

I already have Kind of Blue and a couple of Coltrane albums.  I've heard some ragtime and other early jazz before and it didn't really spark my interest.  

In that case, Armstrong might not be too interesting. But his early group stuff like the "Hot" groupings is not ragtime. If your local library has them, I would still recommend borrowing it and giving it a good open-minded listen.
As for Brubeck, I can't say that I'm much of a 'mellow" jazz fan. But I gave the album a chance based on its' status in Jazz history. Since then, just about anything from Brubeck has proven enjoyable. I especially liked his "Young Lions and Old Tigers" & "Just You, Just Me" CDs. Nothing avant-garde, but they make excellent music to let your mind relax and smile for a while. Mostly for the piano playing of his.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2008 at 17:46
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

Grachan Moncur III - Evolution
Grachan Moncur III - Some other Stuff (those two records are essential, imo)
Mal Waldron - The Quest
Joe McPhee - Nation Time (the record label Hat Hut was inaugurated original the release this guys material)
Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Sing Song
Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue
Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble - On the Beach (Played with Sun Ra throughout the 50's and early 60's)
Herbie Nichols - The Complete Blue Note Recordings (a three disc box from a seriously under-rated pianist)
Masayuki Takayanagi - any album with his 'New Direction for the Arts Unit' or Kaoru Abe

Got 15 Bobby Hutcherson soloalbums, but Dialogue's was one of the few missing. Bought it today.

Haven't got anything by the others you reccomend either, except a wonderful Masabumi Kikuchi/Elvin Jones album called Hollow Out from 1972. I'm certainly planning to check them all out.

I also bought Anthony (Tony) Williams debut Life Time today, and I already know its a classic. All original compositions by Tony, still only 18 years old  in 1964! Its also Blue Note's first purely avantgarde album, and with a fantastic lineup. A must have.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 00:05
Yeah, Dialogue's great, I hope you enjoy it. It is his only album I own. I'm still pretty new to jazz so my collection is all over the place and doesn't contain too much depth in each artist. I loved Bobby's vibes on Moncur's Evolution.

The first two records I mentioned by Moncur should appeal to those who are more interested in the placement of notes rather than, more the better. It is a similar approach that Miles took to his playing.

Mal Waldron's The Quest features Eric Dolphy. The Line up is very similar to the Dolphy's 'Live at Five Spot release', and even shares a track; then main difference is different drummers so it will probably come down to preference with disc you would prefer. Dolphy's recording a little more crisp. Also I'm pretty sure Waldron played on one my Embryo's early 70's discs, 'Rocksessions' perhaps.

I know some of these are OOP so if there is any trouble finding them just PM me.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 14:01
Get some Dave Holland. Probably one of my favorite jazz artists. His albums are a mix between avant-guard jazz and post bop, contemporary jazz (and occasional jazz-fusion)

also...

Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
Larry Coryell - Spaces

Edited by darkshade - July 20 2008 at 14:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12