Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeil Peart voted drummer of the year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 13:20
Hey this is prog man ! EVERYTHING has to be SERIOUS, dead SERIOUS.Angry.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - July 21 2008 at 13:21
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 14:27
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

im just happy peart won then some geezer from the artic monkeys or something like,give me hope in the world of musicianship.
Yeah I guess I have to agree with that., but the guy always wins it. One thing that I don`t understand is that why Peart doesn`t recieve more accolades for his Burning For Buddy project and why he doesn`t do anything along those lines again. I just think his work with Rush has become stale. Some people will hate me for this but I think Rush shoul have packed it in a long time ago. These guys are individually talented enough to embark on solo work or other musical projects and Peart proved it with his Burning For Buddy project.
OK bring on the hate mail lawsuits and death threats.

no hate mail and death threats.. love to see musicians spread their wings.... and Rush... died years ago creatively... the fans eat it up.. but there is nothing new there.. it is stale.. or is to these ears.

re the Burning for Buddy project..

from one perspective.. at least in the durmming circle I hung with which was a bunch of jazz freaks....  it wasn't well recieved...  he is many things...  but not skilled at that type of music.  That is why he probably didn't get the acolades.. Rush fanatics probably didn't touch it ..because it didn't ROCK LOL thus that automatic adulation was gone.... and pure drummers... well...  they sure didn't seem  impressed.  How else to explain it.  If he had knocked it out of the park... for one so tied to a partciular style..  he would have received due adulation. 

As I said.. a lesson with Charile Watts would have done him gone. Peart  ain't no Carl Palmer ..that's for sure...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 14:45
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no hate mail and death threats.. love to see musicians spread their wings.... and Rush... died years ago creatively... the fans eat it up.. but there is nothing new there.. it is stale.. or is to these ears.

I sure as hell don't think they did. Sure they don't write the style of Prog they once did, but not creative? Yeah.....no.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 14:51
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I sure as hell don't think they did. Sure they don't write the style of Prog they once did, but not creative? Yeah.....no.

not saying it was a bad album...  but I sure wouldn't call it creative...  I sure didn't hear it..  but no one ever said I was judge, jury and executioner either hahhaha.  Just agreeing with the guy with the jet as an avatar.

doesn't have to be creative and fresh to be good... but just because it is Rush doesn't mean it IS creative and fresh either.  They're good.. not that good.. after 30 odd years.. like any group...  you play to the fans.. but the best years... the creative years.. are long gone.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 14:56

not saying it was a bad album...  but I sure wouldn't call it creative...  I sure didn't hear it..  but no one ever said I was judge, jury and executioner either hahhaha.  Just agreeing with the guy with the jet as an avatar.

doesn't have to be creative and fresh to be good... but just because it is Rush doesn't mean it IS creative and fresh either.  They're good.. not that good.. after 30 odd years.. like any group...  you play to the fans.. but the best years... the creative years.. are long gone.

I didn't find that with Snake and Arrows. Granted Grace Under Pressure through Vapor Trails is certainly debatable, S&A had some really new stuff. Spindrift or Good News First sounds nothing like any previous song, for instance.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 15:03

I didn't find that with Snake and Arrows. Granted Grace Under Pressure through Vapor Trails is certainly debatable, S&A had some really new stuff. Spindrift or Good News First sounds nothing like any previous song, for instance.

see.. with those albums...  you respect the artist.. for strking out new directions.. and that they were.. enough so that they completely lost people like me and some fans if you remember.  That IS prog.. pure and simple.  Like I said with my famous TFTO review..  prog ..real prog is a train that not everyone will catch.. and will leave some behind. Like me,  that were more fans of the music they had done.. than the group itself. Once the music lost me.. I had no emotional attachment to the group and moved on. 

heheheh..  isn't that what is so great about this stuff man...  it touches us all differently.. all see it differently. I saw S&A's as a nice rock album.. nothing wrong with that.. but absolutely nothing creative about it.  Granted that is only based on a couple of listens..  and if I've missed something..  I have.  Again..  I really have no attachment or investment in the group. No great loss if I did.. for if I did.. it was very subtle.. a couple of listens is not enough for full blown prog.. but we all would admit S&A was FAR from that. 

Edited by micky - July 21 2008 at 15:04
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 15:34

re the Burning for Buddy project..

from one perspective.. at least in the durmming circle I hung with which was a bunch of jazz freaks....  it wasn't well recieved...  he is many things...  but not skilled at that type of music.  That is why he probably didn't get the acolades.. Rush fanatics probably didn't touch it ..because it didn't ROCK LOL thus that automatic adulation was gone.... and pure drummers... well...  they sure didn't seem  impressed.  How else to explain it.  If he had knocked it out of the park... for one so tied to a partciular style..  he would have received due adulation. 

As I said.. a lesson with Charile Watts would have done him gone. Peart  ain't no Carl Palmer ..that's for sure...

You see Micky this is a clear example of someone expounding something they "think" as something they "believe."

Peart is the first to admit that it didnt go well for him that night. For one he prepared a different "version" (?) of the piece he played and for another he couldnt hear the rest of the players. He knows he messed up and is the first to acknowledge this. Whether you like it or not Palmer, Watts and even Bruford are NOT Jazz drummers of note. They are rock drummers first and foremost no matter what their ridiculous fans would have you believe.Jazz afficianoados would just laugh in your face if suggested otherwise.

Apples and oranges.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 15:44
I would have added.. .but didn't think it was necessary hahhaha.. that my friends... were stereotypical jazz snobs.  As were probably 95% of anyone who did listen to that ...  the guy asked why Peart wasn't given more acclaim for it.  I gave my personal insight into it and the fact he didn't have a good session is even more reason.

And Watts was originally a jazz drummer who went into the Stones and the blues..... and that was Palmers first love...  apples and oranges I know.. .and a bit of humor thrown in.. and of course the obligatory cheap shot ahhaha.  But the point stands...  they know jazz and how to play it and damn well. 
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 16:22
Charlie Watts joined The Rolling Stones in 1962 when he was 21 yrs old. I wasnt aware that even at that tender age he'd already carved himself out a career as a Jazz legend.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 16:27
look who he played with before the Rolling Stones Tony.. and who he played with....
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 16:30
Alexis Korner's BLUES ensemble after leaving SCHOOL in 1956...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 16:34
exactly... and blues was a loose term.... look who he worked with...   his partner.. none other than  Jack Bruce. . who was a Jazz bassist... not a 'blues' bassist... besides..as I'm sure you know... jazz and blues are two sides of the same coin... from the same river did they spout....  that's why so many jazz artist are called blues artists and vice versa hahahhahah.  
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 16:45
I doubt that Jazz purists will agree with that. How many world famous superstar Blues frummers do you know bro?
Tongue
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 16:57
jazz purists.. would that be the same as a prog purists.. who are not exactly know for being open-minded.. even with fact bites them in the ass hahahhah. They stay with their closely held beliefs.. till the bitter end. My jazz buddies and the guys I played with are perfect example...  I know the type. .as well or better than you do hahhaha Wink  Even if Peart had nailed his performance.. they would have considered it rubbish.  Do you take the word of a purist for being worth something.. .  don't think so.. either do I.

..  remember.. till the late 50's jazz was as rhythmically 'simple' as people see  the blues..... look how many jazz artists.. like Davis, Monk, Colttaine slid so easily into the blues.. within a jazz context..  they are really VERY closely related. As others did in rock.. such as Jack Bruce, or Charlie Watts could easily move from jazz to blues and back again... 

Again.. two sides of the same coin...

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 17:11
you....out of....breath....Micky?

After reading that....I certainly....am...
LOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 17:16
I do love to flap my gums hahahhah. 

however

now would time a good time to go and pack unless I am going to fly to Rome in sweets and a t-shirt LOL

don't know if you saw it...  but I hope you had a great birthday.. mine is Friday the reason for a well deserved vacation... another year closer to drooling on myself uncontrollably and wetting the sheets hahhaha.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 17:18
an early and very Happy B-Day to you, Mike, and have a wonderful time

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 17:19
I definitely will.. thanks David.. 
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 17:25
Yes, same from me pal. Give my love to your better half. Smile

I'm off to Mallorca on Sunday for two weeks of dodging the Sun's rays. I've got 102 gigs on my IPod and a stack of pseudo-intellectual reading to scare off the chavs.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 18:16
I'll definitely will do that... I'll give her enough for all of us .

and have a great time yourself...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123