Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Young Dubliners/Jethro Tull 8/17/08 Greek Theater
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYoung Dubliners/Jethro Tull 8/17/08 Greek Theater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young Dubliners/Jethro Tull 8/17/08 Greek Theater
    Posted: August 19 2008 at 04:29
I had never seen Jethro Tull before...Ian Anderson, yes, but the band as a whole? Not so. Until the other night. And, hey, guess what...I'd been drinking (hey now, before you judge, I clearly wasn't the only one inbibing. Who knew Tull had so many old stoners for fans?).

But, hey, no harm no foul. How could you NOT drink with an opening band like the Young Dubliners? They were nice lads...not terribly young at this point perhaps, but still kinda Dublin-ish I reckon. They played some solid, if not remarkable, hard Irish rock. Good fun, eh what?

Of course, the lads were there because they have long since been cronies of I. Anderson (who added some flute parts onto a song of theirs, "Banshee," off...some album or other. What? I can't keep track of EVERYTHING. In fact, barring "Banshee" and some olde Irish ditties know from personal experience, I couldn't name a thing they did (but I think a Pogues cover was there)). So, all in all, good band, like 'em, but I bought my tickets for Jethro And, naturally, that's the part of the review that you'll want me to focus on, eh?

Well, since it was the big four-O, the band played stuff from the good ole days. I mean, some Aqualung material was natural, and since when does a live Tull performance get away without "Bouree" or "New Day Yesterday," but there were some dusted down diamonds there too. The medley of "We Used to Know/With You There to Help Me" was a nice touch, but the song was definitely overshadowed by the Eagles/"Hotel California" referencing introduction (Ian: "But we weren't mad when the Eagles took some chords from our song to create theirs. We thought of it as a kind of tribute...just like I'm wearing a tribute Rolex watch").

A real highlight was "A Song For Jeffrey," complete with heavy metal slide guitar and cool encoded vocals. Doanne Perry's "Dharma For One" was also played (with a glorious, drum solo-mocking intro from Ian ("You REALLY want to hear a drum solo? Oh...alright. But it'll be very small. And I PROMISE that Martin will play a seventeen minute guitar solo to make up for it")), but at that point I was, like Ian, offstage taking a well deserved piss. Oh, and, "Nursie" was given a go, very much like the Little Light Music version. Well, of course, the concert kicked off with "My Sunday Feeling" (haven't I written that sentence a couple times before?), which was fun too.

Otherwise, there was a "Too Old to Rock 'n Roll" rendition with a nice Mick Jagger introduction (you can figure that one out) and our previously mentioned "Bouree" (with Ian crawling across the stage whilst soloing) and "New Day Yesterday" (with, uh, the Irish flute part in tact). Also, "Farm on the Freeway," the lvie version of which was just as pleasant but unremarkable as the original.

But the big numbers were stacked at the end, with a load of epics crammed in a row. First off was "Heavy Horses," a person fave, and very nicely done and re-tooled for stage. Really a treat to hear it live. Up next was, of course, the number that got all the old Tullers on their feet. "Back in 72 we recorded some kind of a 'prog rock' album mess, and I didn't have to handle all the lyrics for a change. Wonderful lad that little Gerald Bostock. He's never asked for any royalties."

"Thick" went off without a hitch, the modern standard of the opening movement, as well as "See There, a Son is Born" and "Come Down From the Upper Class." I made damn sure to howl out "BRICK!" in response to Ian's gentle "You're as thick...as a...?" along with all the other messed up proggers in the audience.

"Aqualung" pretty much rocked hard, as it should. I mean, it's one thing to hear the lads do it on stage or off, but to hear a Barre solo in person is something I cannot stress the importance of enough. A bit more glam-metal, as is his want, but still, the man knows what he's doing.

The encore was, of course, "Locomotive Breath," and it is here that I hang up my hat. There were highlights within and throughout, and the last three songs were fantastic, but "Breath" was something that not even my alcohol addled brain can forget. If you don't consider it an epic, it became one there. The piano opening was hitchless, the song proceeded to rock the crowd to bits. And, rather than finish the song outright, the ending was stretched out into an initially quiet, then massive, flute build up. Just all around great.

Oh, and, if "Locomotive Breath" was the biggest musical highlight, then Ian's intro to "Bouree" was the prose highlight (something along the lines of): "In the good old days, when men were men, J. S. Bach kicked back and drank cold ones with Mr. Martin Lancelot Barre, and taught him this song! Now, three hundred years later, Martin Lancelot taught it to me, and we turned it into a disgusting piece of cocktail jazz!"

Dunno if comes through in print, but trust me, it was hilarious.

So how did the Tull concert compare to the Ian solo? Apples and organs my man. The solo concert was certainly more intimate, and the selection was more varied and interesting, but the Tuller concert wins out in balls to the wall, sweaty metallic glory. I mean, Ian's hired hands for the solo tour were good, but the guitarist was no Martin Barre, and to hear the two of them exchange notes was gold.

But, c'mon? A Tull concert with alcohol? How did you THINK I was going to react?
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 04:35
Oh, by the way, before my mobile phone died, was able to take ONE crappy picture:

Like I said, crappy. If'n you look close, you'll see that behind the blurry things in the front, the "band," there is a screen. It showed big blow up pictures of the band at various stages in their (its?) career, depending on the era of the song being played. Which was cool.

Edited by The Whistler - August 19 2008 at 04:36
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 22:43
first time?!    I really thought you'd seen them once.. yeah they are good live, let's see; first time was Under Wraps.. bad trip, man.  Second was Crest, very nice.  Then once in, uh, 1990, I think.. fine but lackluster.  Last time was that 25th anniversary tour, which was completely awesome and intimate at the samne time, surprisingly low-key with no light shows or vids, just a nice JT backdrop.. it worked beautifully.  I think they've actually gotten better with age.

Anyway, nice write-up.  Concert reviews are kind of a bitch to do, that is if you can remember the show.

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2008 at 17:57
Thankee.

It was the first time for the band, I'd seen Ian a few years back on his lonesome...with an orchestra.

Yeah, concerts are a strange bird to write up. I knew before hand I'd HAVE to post something here...just wasn't sure how I was going to go about it. Seriously, it seems like some of the reviews I've read here sound like the participant went to the concert with a notepad instead of a lighter.

Dunno 'bout the Wraps tour; based on the video I've seen, they were able to bring it back together on stage--if not quite to Bursting Out heights.
CandyLion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 07:23
I was at that show too, really great performance overall though understandably Ian Anderson's vocals were not as good as they used to be. It was easy to overlook though, glad I wentSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply