Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat would you change of ELP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What would you change of the band
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [36.73%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.04%]
8 [16.33%]
12 [24.49%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.04%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [18.37%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 18:26

To HELP discussion, some words of Keith Emerson himself:

"Is it true that you and Mitch Mitchell almost formed a new band with Jimi Hendrix?

Back in early 1970, Greg and I — we’d met originally in San Francisco when Greg was in King Crimson and I had the Nice. Back in London, around about early 1970, we were looking for a drummer and it was always my intention to carry on the trio format because I liked the freedom of that. The added attraction of working with Greg was that he wasn’t only a bass player, but a guitarist, so we could really stir things around. So, we were looking for a drummer and Mitch was an obvious choice. Mitch came to Greg’s place and we didn’t actually get to play together, but Mitch, during that conversation, suggested that if he joined Greg and myself that he could possibly persuade Jimi to come in with us. Anyway, for some reason, there was some mention of guns that Mitch brought in, and Greg thought that was a little too much over the top. So, he had second thoughts about working with Mitch because he had, at that time, a couple of heavy guys always with him. Whether or not this was Mitch’s paranoia, I don’t know. Greg didn’t feel comfortable about it, so that kind of fell through.

Did you ever jam with Hendrix?

Yes, I jammed with him on what they called a package tour, back in 68 or 69 — Pink Floyd, the Move, and the Nice. And then later after that package tour, Jimi wanted the Nice to support him at the Marquee Club. So, yeah, we did get to play, but mainly at sound checks. There’s a biography about Jimi written by John McDermott, and when he was interviewing Chas Chandler, he came up with a surprise — a surprise for me, at least — that Jimi was considering using me on Axis: Bold As Love. But it was around Christmas time when the record company wanted to get the record done, and I was off touring, so that never came about.

To be really honest, Jimi was such a powerhouse on his own, and I was young enough and pretentious enough to say, “I want to be heard.” I’m afraid with Jimi, it would have been an interesting competition (laughs). And of course, what happened was after we found Carl Palmer and it was ELP, the media somehow got the story and they knew that Jimi could have been involved, and if he would have been involved, it would have been called HELP. That appealed to media."

The whole interview, great in my opinion, about The Nice, ELP, current line-up etc is here: http://www.vintagerock.com/kemerson_interview.aspx

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 18:35
From ELP nothing.

1. From Works Vol 1 I would delete thw Lake side and maybe  Piano Concerto N°1,
  2. Would change the band name for Works 2, Love Beach and  In the Hot Seat
  3. Would burn the master tapes of Brain Salad Perjury (aka Re-Works aka Dance Mix)

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 01 2008 at 18:36

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 19:52
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

To HELP discussion, some words of Keith Emerson himself:

"Is it true that you and Mitch Mitchell almost formed a new band with Jimi Hendrix?

Back in early 1970, Greg and I — we’d met originally in San Francisco when Greg was in King Crimson and I had the Nice. Back in London, around about early 1970, we were looking for a drummer and it was always my intention to carry on the trio format because I liked the freedom of that. The added attraction of working with Greg was that he wasn’t only a bass player, but a guitarist, so we could really stir things around. So, we were looking for a drummer and Mitch was an obvious choice. Mitch came to Greg’s place and we didn’t actually get to play together, but Mitch, during that conversation, suggested that if he joined Greg and myself that he could possibly persuade Jimi to come in with us. Anyway, for some reason, there was some mention of guns that Mitch brought in, and Greg thought that was a little too much over the top. So, he had second thoughts about working with Mitch because he had, at that time, a couple of heavy guys always with him. Whether or not this was Mitch’s paranoia, I don’t know. Greg didn’t feel comfortable about it, so that kind of fell through.

Did you ever jam with Hendrix?

Yes, I jammed with him on what they called a package tour, back in 68 or 69 — Pink Floyd, the Move, and the Nice. And then later after that package tour, Jimi wanted the Nice to support him at the Marquee Club. So, yeah, we did get to play, but mainly at sound checks. There’s a biography about Jimi written by John McDermott, and when he was interviewing Chas Chandler, he came up with a surprise — a surprise for me, at least — that Jimi was considering using me on Axis: Bold As Love. But it was around Christmas time when the record company wanted to get the record done, and I was off touring, so that never came about.

To be really honest, Jimi was such a powerhouse on his own, and I was young enough and pretentious enough to say, “I want to be heard.” I’m afraid with Jimi, it would have been an interesting competition (laughs). And of course, what happened was after we found Carl Palmer and it was ELP, the media somehow got the story and they knew that Jimi could have been involved, and if he would have been involved, it would have been called HELP. That appealed to media."

The whole interview, great in my opinion, about The Nice, ELP, current line-up etc is here: http://www.vintagerock.com/kemerson_interview.aspx

I've read an entirely different version of that story that has Mitchell turning down the offer right off the bat and passing on info about the new band to Hendrix who expressed interest.

Either way, Jimi was probably headed towards a Miles and Larry Young band or something with Bo Hanson.

As for ELP, check my previous post.

Edited by Easy Money - September 04 2008 at 00:26
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 20:08
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

ELP would be better if you could take out the 'funny' parts and the Shakey's Pizza Parlor piano bits.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Shakey's!  I miss their all you can eat lunch buffets. Good times living in Los Angeles.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 22:57
only one thing. Write more consistently good songs.
Okocha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 07:40
Little spinning piano/winged moog

Edited by Okocha - September 02 2008 at 07:40
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 13:27
I would have E for Elton John, L for Larry Charlton, and P for Paco de Luca. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Jeremy Bender View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 18:28
The Yamaha GX-1
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 18:37
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

To be really honest, Jimi was such a powerhouse on his own, and I was young enough and pretentious enough to say, “I want to be heard.” I’m afraid with Jimi, it would have been an interesting competition (laughs).

That backs up my original post, that it probably wouldn't have worked out.  But if it had, it would have been incredible.  Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

1. Would change the band name for Works 2, Love Beach and  In the Hot Seat

Soooo, what name would have had them use? Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 02 2008 at 18:40
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 19:08
While the absence of ragtime pieces and a nicer cover for Tarkus is tempting, I would keep both in exchange for:

THEM MAKING MUSIC TOGETHER NOW!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 22:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

1. Would change the band name for Works 2, Love Beach and  In the Hot Seat

Soooo, what name would have had them use? Tongue

How about "PFU"?......................................................................(Please Forgive Us)

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 03 2008 at 22:34

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 22:59
Originally posted by Okocha Okocha wrote:

Little spinning piano/winged moog

C'mon that winged moog kicked ass!  (Quad concert sound assumed...)

topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 23:25
All I can think of the HELP thing is how Hendrix would have done stuff in "Toccatta". It's sort of like the overall sound of it is just perfect for Hendrix, yet it wouldn't have worked out at all.

Perhaps Hendrix would have set fire to the Timpani when they played it live.

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 00:03
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

While the absence of ragtime pieces and a nicer cover for Tarkus is tempting, I would keep both in exchange for:

THEM MAKING MUSIC TOGETHER NOW!

There's a better chance of Lake rejoining King Crimson than ELP.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 00:06
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

All I can think of the HELP thing is how Hendrix would have done stuff in "Toccatta". It's sort of like the overall sound of it is just perfect for Hendrix, yet it wouldn't have worked out at all.

There you have it, Jimi is setting fire to the Timpani while Palmer practices his martial arts on stage ala Elvis, Keith is stuck in a constantly spinning piano while Greg croons something "nice for the ladies", oh yeah, best band ever.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 19:19
I voted other, and for three reasons:
1. Cut down on the "Shakey's Pizza Parlor" music (though yes, Crimhead, 'twas a great buffet).
2. Cut out the Broadway sh*t ("Show Me The Way To Go Home" is a surefire way of the audience doing just that).
3. Why oh why couldn't Carl have varied his Tank-era drum solo? Never changed a thing in over a decade- and-a-half.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 21:04
The last two albumsTongue

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 21:41
Originally posted by zafreth zafreth wrote:

The last two albumsTongue

Oh!! Are you part of our newly '' The LOVE BEACH rehablition project''  secret club we founded here on PA last week ??LOLLOLWink................We have a passto your name justClap for you!LOL
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 23:28
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

There you have it, Jimi is setting fire to the Timpani while Palmer practices his martial arts on stage ala Elvis, Keith is stuck in a constantly spinning piano while Greg croons something "nice for the ladies", oh yeah, best band ever.

Jeez, that's funny LOLLOL

And that big silver-winged synth does Der Blinkenlights at the audience.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123