Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNegus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Negus
    Posted: September 17 2008 at 23:19
Another recommendation from Cyclonerecords, CA
A toss up between Xover ( More so) and HP IMHO, undecided at this stage..

This act is Negus which features Steve Negus, "Lord of the Drums" for Saga for over 26yrs.  His solo project "Dare to Dream" is available for listening here.   While it has more of a melodic rock/crossover prog flavour, Steve's unique drum style and Saga influences are still present.

Cheers!
Chris
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
btrew View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 13:54
Here is recent reviews and interviews for Negus' album "Dare to Dream":
Germany's Hardline Magazine reviewed "Dare to Dream" giving it an 8 out of 10. Copies of the magazine are available here.

Germany's Progressive Newsletter April 2008 issue features an interview with Steve Negus. A brief sample of the interview is available here. "Dare to Dream" was also reviewed and received a 10/10. The magazine is available for purchase here.

Steve Negus was interviewed by Morning DJ Craig Robertson live on Oshawa's 94.9 The Rock on 25 February 08.

Steve Negus was interviewed live by DJ Matty Grant on iRock109.com's Extreme Velocity show on 2 February 2008. Also, played on the show were 4 tracks from "Dare to Dream" and fans from around the world were able to speak directly with Steve through an online chat room.

Negus is featured on the home page for TheCanadianMusicScene.com (Jan 2008).

Keith Fraser writes "Magnum opus - you can't help but use prestigious words like that after listening to 'Dare To Dream'. A celebrated work of rock made for the hard core aficionado - there's another fancy word. That's what Steve Negus's 'Dare To Dream' is made for, someone that knows innovative and intellectual artistry, and knows when it's played by masters of the musical craft. Each cut is a natural musical symbiosis that is second to none. Steve Negus showcases his adherence to rock-solid compositional form, rooted in lots of depth and textural elements. Planned with care and execution 'Dare To Dream' possesses a unique ability to deliver with discipline and without waste but still makes a sensation - and a lot of fun. A 10 out of 10 if I have ever heard one."

Melodic.net reviewed "Dare to Dream" and calls it "a pleasant surprise this former Saga drummer has come up with and I'm sure that not only Saga fans will have a great time with Dare To Dream, no I think that more laid back AOR fans will get a good time as well. Not many weak moments can be found on this album. Good production, great vocals and melodic songs is what Dare To Dream is all about." You can read the full review here.

Hollywood TV did an in-depth interview with Steve Negus about "Dare to Dream" and his years with Saga. You can read the whole interview here.

The ProgFiles.com gives "Dare to Dream" a 4 out of 5 and says "Steve Negus has unleashed a solo album worth waiting for. Negus will win over long time Saga fans and seduce music fans seeking out rock the way it used to be played... very well!" You can read the full review here.

Glory-Daze gave "Dare to Dream" an 8.5 out of 10 and calls it "a musician's album as opposed to a drummer's album. There is the odd variation that takes in progressive angles, and some jazz/fusion stylings, but it's all played within the context of a mainstream rock environment. No doubt Saga fans, plus prog fans should find their way to this album without getting lost. Some very good material to be found here - thats for sure!" You can read the full review here.

Melodic Rock & AOR says Dare to Dream "has it all. Excellent songs, great melodic choruses, great guitars, excellent vocals, clear and powerful production. This CD is recommended for every fan of this genre!" You can read the review here.

The Toronto Globe and Mail featured Steve Negus and "Dare to Dream", calling the events leading up its release "A Drummer's Personal Saga." You can view the article here.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 04:55
I listened to the album on the site and I have to say this is not a bad effort from Steve. If he is added I think it should be prog related or crossover.

Recommended for addition !
A day without prog is a wasted day
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 04:59
HeavyProg is eval-ing him but right now I lean towards ProgRelated or Crossover

Edited by Atavachron - September 19 2008 at 05:00
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 21:22
and taking a listen... missed this one Chris... sorry about that. Rough week last week. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
btrew View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 14:09
Hi all,

It seems that this is a good candidate for acceptanace.  I was just wondering if there is a way of tracking recommendations to see where in the approval process this submission is at.

Thanks,

Brad
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 16:53
Hi Brad,

We use PA charts commonly here (CLICK) for voting purposes.  One can use that as a means to track progress (search the band, and if in, then check the PA tab is one way to do it).  We have been in lengthy discussions about new, additional tracking systems to help members and staff to track band progress (a topic I'm very keen on).  Sometimes bands are not quickly added to the chart when discussion between teams is taking place (couldn't find Negus at progfreak), and it's not always used by everyone (and Prog Related does not have a chart as they work a different way).  Sometimes one just has to ask about the status.  I'll check the Heavy and Crossover team threads to see what they think.  So Crossover approved of Negus.  Did they contact you yet about the bio and discography info?  I know that they've been very busy of late.

Edited by Logan - September 29 2008 at 17:05
btrew View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 17:07
Thanks for the info Logan.  Just so you know, NEGUS is at ProgFreak here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 17:12
Ah good, I had only checked the Progfreak PA charts (the alphabetical listing).
 Post Reply Post Reply