Topic ClosedMagenta/Pendragon at The Peel 08/11/08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magenta/Pendragon at The Peel 08/11/08
    Posted: November 10 2008 at 07:45

I must be a bit of a Jonah for The Peel. I’ve been there three times and now and each time the main band has had a technical issue – the first time Tinyfish’s drummer broke a snare skin in the first song, the second time Simon Godfrey’s synth guitar got stuck and this time Pendragon’s drummer also broke a snare. I can only apologise guys.

Magenta kicked off this 30th Anniversary Pendragon gig with an “unplugged” session, featuring just Rob on piano, Chris on acoustic guitar and the sublime vocals of Christina. They treated us to various tracks from “Home” and the ProgAid EP and even finished up with a cover of Kate Bush’s “Hounds of Love”. Christina seemed to be having a few throat problems (not that it affected her singing at all) and kept bending down for her water bottle, which gave the guy at the front with the large zoom lens an opportunity to take more photos.  A good warm up for the main act and Christina proved what a great singer she is.

Pendragon hit the stage soon after. I was slightly worried by Nick’s opening line of “Hello my lovers” but I’m sure that’s just his way of being friendly. This being the last show of their 30th Anniversary Tour (as we were frequently reminded) we were treated to a selection of older numbers, which I admit I wasn’t familiar with, with a few numbers from the brilliant new “Pure” CD thrown in. The sound was good, although Nick’s Les Paul could have been a bit louder in the solos. New drummer, Scott Higham, is a real powerhouse who makes Animal from The Muppets look quiet and restrained. In the small confines of The Peel he was a little too loud but is nevertheless a great addition to the band.

Personally I would have liked to have heard a few more tracks from “The Masquerade Overture” and “Not Of This World”, but the Pure songs were excellent and are already proving to be live favourites.

As Nick said,  Pendragon and their fans are like a big family and Nick certainly has a great rapport with the fans, even sharing a Sherbet Fountain with the crowd while Scott went off in search of the van key to repair his snare drum.

In a way I found it sad that such a great band had to celebrate their 30th anniversary in a small pub in Kingston when they deserve to be playing Wembley but at least they have the satisfaction of a hugely appreciative audience. Here’s to the next 30 years.

Edited by chopper - November 10 2008 at 08:12
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 08:09
Nice one Alan - Didn't know Magenta were supporting, I feel even more p'd off we missed it now

How many people can say they shared a sherbert fountain with a prog band's main man, eh? 30 years in & Pendragon still coming up with firsts

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 08:31
This is the set list. To paraphrase Eric Morecambe this is all the correct songs but not neccesarily in the correct order -

Circus
The Mask
Total Recall
Queen of Hearts
Breaking The Spell
Nostradamus
Paintbox
Eraserhead
The Freak Show
It's Only Me
The Shadow
Masters of Illusion
The Voyager
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 08:50
Nice review, Alan. It was a great gig..!

Good to meet Rachel too.

BTW, I think you can add 'Walls of Babylon' to that set list. I'm pretty sure they played it, although I was playing it in my car the day before and after the gig, so may be confused. It dont take much these days...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 08:57
You may be right Andy. I actually copied that list from the Pendragon forum, the person who wrote it did say it might not be complete.
Hope you made it home alright mate! Shame you had to leave early, you missed the bit where Christina from Magenta ran naked around the pub!
 Shocked
(not really).
Unhappy

Edited by chopper - November 10 2008 at 08:58
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 09:36
Aw Chopper, you shoulda been there on Friday when they played "Man of Nomadic Traits" from NOTW  & Masters of Illusion from MO.  (Amongst others)  They opened with Walls of Babylon each night, so yes it was there!

It was great doing 2 nights at The Peel, with a different set each night the boys managed to cover a wide spectrum of material, and it was certainly good fun.  Big smile  

R x
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 09:38
Oh sh!t, did I miss the anuual prog charity strip-a-thon at the Peel??

again...

Edited by Blacksword - November 10 2008 at 09:39
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 09:44

Glad you enjoyed it Alan, sounded great, just as you would expect from the Pendies.

Albeit the thought of a "Sherbet Fountain" initially had my mind racing a fair bit!!    Dead  LOL

http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 09:53
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

Aw Chopper, you shoulda been there on Friday when they played "Man of Nomadic Traits" from NOTW  & Masters of Illusion from MO.  (Amongst others)  They opened with Walls of Babylon each night, so yes it was there!

It was great doing 2 nights at The Peel, with a different set each night the boys managed to cover a wide spectrum of material, and it was certainly good fun.  Big smile  

R x
I missed "Man of Nomadic Traits"? Cry One of me faves, I'm gutted.
 Post Reply Post Reply