Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDiscipline

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which discipline methods have you relied for children under 9?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [15.38%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [38.46%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discipline
    Posted: November 13 2008 at 13:20
No, I'm not referring to the King Crimson album, but to literal discipline when it comes to children younger than nine.

I'm a parent as of July of last year, and my child is usually well-behaved.  I'm not conducting this poll to educate myself about effective disciplining methods- I have my mind made up on the subject- I'm merely interested in how others handle misbehavior, especially after a verbal redirection is ignored.

One thing every parent should know regarding discipline is that children are different from each other, and one technique may be better suited for one child while that same technique would fail for another, even in the same family.

Realizing that, I just want to know what methods you parents out there have used successfully.  How do you handle misbehavior?  I'm sure many of you use two or more of these techniques in conjunction with one another.  Share creative punishments you have used.  You can also describe those that didn't work.  If you have any humorous anecdotes, I'd like to see those too.

I've allowed multiple votes- vote for the methods that have worked for you.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 13:30
My son is only 2, but my wife and I mostly resort to quid pro quo and revoking privileges.  It goes without saying that sometimes we lose our temper and yell, but we do our best not to.  I'd add that I would like have a discussion component at some point, but he's a little young for that right now.

Edited by NaturalScience - November 13 2008 at 13:31
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 13:31
I try to limit my punishing of other people's children.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 13:44
I've probably used a fair few of those, and amongst the parents I know am fairly typical. Our kids are all teens now, so you are really dealing with a different animal altogether, but when they were under 10, I think different "crimes" need different action.  and over the 14 years of being a parent I have perfected the single eyebrow raising that can stop my kids in their tracks from 100 paces........... it's a peaceful and effective way of halting anything too scary! 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 14:11
Speaking as someone who hasn't had children and somewhat irresponsibly, I recommend sitting them down and making them listen to the King Crimson album Discipline.
" " <-----(lyrics from the song Discipline.)

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 13 2008 at 14:12
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 14:13
I think for most people's kids nowadays, making them sit down and listen to any prog at all would be punishment.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 14:54
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I think for most people's kids nowadays, making them sit down and listen to any prog at all would be punishment.

I'm doing my best to train my son early.  Smile
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 16:39
I was blessed with two wonderful children that responded dutifully to just my raising my voice to them.  However, that's rare, as I've discovered with my wife's 3 year old grandson who doesn't respond to much of any kind of threat or spankings.  The only thing that gets through to him is when I take away a privilege like playing on the computer or such and stand behind that punishment.  My wife gives in way too easily and he's figured her out completely.  Of course, that means he doesn't care much for me but that's okay.  It's not a popularity contest.  At least he knows I say what I mean and I mean what I say.  That's my advice.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 21:12

<5: time out

5-12: revoke privileges

Teens: ground for particularly egregious behavior

Worked for my kids.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2008 at 10:42
Damn it, I thought this was a KC poll
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2008 at 17:08
I hate when that happens...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2008 at 17:32
I'm not a parent yet but I used to babysit three kids and, when they were undisciplined, I just got totally lame with them (they expected me to play games and all with them cause I usually did that). I sat down relaxing and did nothing. I wouldn't change my mind until they calm down. I would also "cancel" any special activity I was supposed to do with them.

I guess it's called Revoke privileges. I think it's the easiest and best way to discipline children. You're telling them that if they want to be happy, they need to be civilised too. No violence involved in any way.

Edited by Bern - November 15 2008 at 17:33

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2008 at 17:53
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Damn it, I thought this was a KC poll

I thought this was a poll about S&M.  Especially when I saw spanking as the first option.  Embarrassed

I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2008 at 19:46
Want my advice? Don’t have kids. Seriously. Don’t. They are hereditary anyway – you can only have kids because your parents and their parents and their parents before them did. Wink

It may sound trite, but the best form of discipline is to bring your children up not to misbehave in the first place. Kids have a natural tendency to push to see how far they can go and how much they can get away with – stop this at the beginning at a really early age, define the boundaries when they are old enough to understand but young enough not to argue back and you’ve won. The older kids get the harder they are to control and the more severe the punishment has to be to bring them into line. If you cannot control them by the time they become teenagers you might just as well give up – because by then they will be running your life.

I come from an age where corporal punishment was the norm – smacking was used for minor misbehaviour and a damn good thrashing for anything major, not just from parents, but from neighbours, teachers and even the village policeman (yes, that really did happen – you got caught doing something wrong and they really did smack you around the ear). As barbaric as it now seems, it worked. I’m not condoning it – I vowed that when I grew up I’d never to smack my children and true to my word, I’ve never raised a hand towards my daughter (though she’s belted me a few times when anger and lack of argument has gotten the better of her).

The problem with non-corporal punishment is that it is a lot of work – a grounding is as much a punishment for the parent as it is for the child – when you ground them, you’ve effectively grounded yourself too – that hour of peace you once enjoyed while they were at Brownies or Football practice has gone. And as a deterrent it has little value – no kid lives in fear of losing computer privileges for a week or of being bored to tears in a family discussion. Taking possessions (toys) away – that’s a waste of time too – I still have a marble-race game I took off my daughter when she was 5, she never apologised so she never got it back, after waiting13 years I don’t think that apology is coming any time soon. Harsh? Of course it is - and that’s the point – a punishment has to serve as a deterrent against future misbehaviour, not just as a punishment for the current one – it has to be excessive and totally unreasonable in their eyes to have any long term value(negotiate punishment?? That’s just crazy talk) .

The trick we found is to stay calm and unemotional – never raise your voice or start yelling – talk quietly and softly, be reasonable and logical – express your disapproval and disappointment rather than just showing it. If they are yelling, just walk away – it is impossible to reason with someone who’s already lost it.

Perhaps we’ve been lucky and this philosophy is a load of rubbish – my daughter was never really naughty or prone to bad behaviour as a child. It wasn’t until she became ill that we started having discipline problems and it was that change in behaviour that signalled that something was wrong – a cry for help if you want to see it that way, or a smoke-screen to hide the real problem if you take the other view. The advice we were given by countless child psychologists and trick-cyclists was the approach to use in that situation was one we’d been using all along (yeah, Confused confused the hell out of me too at the time until they explained to us that her problems were not from her home life, home is her sanctuary). That advice was: no matter how bad her behaviour don’t overreact or let emotion dictate what we do. Whether that was good advice or not I cannot judge - after 3 years of this she's certainly getting better, but on the rare occasions now when she loses it it can be really ugly and my patience and resolve is not what it was. I'm not perfect - I have yelled (very, very loudly - I can out yell her with ease) and the shock-value after being calm for so long had a dramatic effect, but I know it was a one-shot that would have no effect a second time.

The only one from the list I cannot get my head around is humiliation – that’s just cruel – I’ve seen university lecturers in college and managers in the workplace use that and I will not stand for it – that’s bullying plain and simple.

Edited by Dean - November 15 2008 at 19:54
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2008 at 21:56
Thanks for all that Dean.  I appreciated reading your story.

I have only one young son (he's fifteen months), but I believe because we used mild corporal punishment on him (smacking his hand when he is tossing his Cherrios about) or popping him on the bottom when he is getting into something he shouldn't, we've never had any problems with him.

Seriously.  Our child- if we say "No!" to him, he turns away from whatever he is about to do, and I attribute that to mild spankings.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 14:31
No children but if I had one I would play him Cosmic Jokers,Brainticket and Present as a punishment!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 16:44
A good kick in the teeth worked for me when I was about 12,  but I never used it on my children. A physical slap on the wrist happens about twice a year, but usually a short, involuntary stay in their own bed room does the trick.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 17:47

I'm too young to have kids, but I've been around the issue enough to have a view on it.  With the choices here, it really depends on the age - if they're just toddlers, it may be good to mimic their emotions ("yelling" or "whispering", etc.  they can understand this) or do the opposite and remove them from the situation ("time out").  When they get older and more responsible, disussion and writing assignment could work because it causes them to think about it. Those might not take hold at first, because it takes time to understand the punishment (i.e. "This is stupid, I'm not doing this!...crap, they're not giving up...well how do I make it stop...").  Corporal punishment, humiliation, and emotional manipulation are big NO's, although I won't tell anyone how to raise their children.  Children who are dealt with physically overwhelmingly grow up to become physical themselves; read any study or textbook on the issue.  In the end, I think experimentation is key, because children have a wide range of temperaments that respond to different things; I just wouldn't do anything drastic or abusive.

Signature Writers Guild on strike
 Post Reply Post Reply