Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mythical Beatles track does exist, may be released
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMythical Beatles track does exist, may be released

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mythical Beatles track does exist, may be released
    Posted: November 16 2008 at 16:55
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7732546.stm

Mythical 14 minute Beatles track from 1967 may well get a public hearing, inspired by Stockhausen and mainly improvised Sir Paul hope to finally let it lose, over 40 years since it's recording.

Edited by Wilcey - November 16 2008 at 16:56
alerxst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 19:10
I'm slightly afraid of this. If it was considered "too avant-garde" but they let "Revolution 9" get on The White Album then what should we expect? Of course I'm going to remain hopeful that this will be an excellent piece of prog.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 19:28

I love the Beatles, but buying a 14mn-long wild experimentation from 1967??? ...i have the feeling this is the kind of ''music'' you listen to only once before it sits on the shelf untouched forever.

I guess would be only for completionists!! and how will it be released?? a CDsingle with no other songs on it or maybe Paul will add an electonic/funk version of Let It Be!!Smile
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 16:03
A 14 minutes long experimentation? Isn't the common stuff we're talking about on this forum?
Anyway, I would be curious to listen at this piece, even if I'm not a fan. Could be interesting on a prospective point of view.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 18:35
 ^ yes it would--  most of you seem to be missing the point..  it would not only be history,  but fascinating to hear, and not what you'd expect I imagine.  Evidently George Harrison was contemplating releasing a version of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' with an hour of people weeping cut between the two halves of the song..  now that would have been too much, but not a lost improvisation by the most talented and prolific songsmiths in history.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 07:03
Sounds terrible. I'll probably form an opinion based on asking: "If I didn't know it was the Beatles, would I like it?"
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 08:26
I would still like to see released Harrison's first solo experimental electronics re-released, so this 14 mins improv can't possibly scare me the slightest.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 08:32
I'm not scared either. I say to Sir Paul, "Bring it on!" Evil Smile
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Doobie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 10:42
I think this is a side of The Beatles we did not get to see to often, seen how their recording companies would bring their hammer down on experimental music without commercial value....
Yes, The Beatles never left behind the little-teenie-bopper feel-good aspect, but we can see a little menace peeking out since Revolver, NO DOUBT! Geek

La ignorancia es el arma más poderosa que tienen los poderosos para mantenernos oprimidos, Lee y Lucha!!!
ModernRocker79 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 15:13
Originally posted by Doobie Doobie wrote:

I think this is a side of The Beatles we did not get to see to often, seen how their recording companies would bring their hammer down on experimental music without commercial value....
Yes, The Beatles never left behind the little-teenie-bopper feel-good aspect, but we can see a little menace peeking out since Revolver, NO DOUBT! Geek

I think the Beatles did a real good job balancing both experimental music with pop music. I wonder what  "Carnival of Light" will be labeled as here in Progarchives. I don't know if you label tracks  like "Love You To" or "Within You Without You" as Raga Rock/ Indo-Prog for example. I am curious how it will received here?

Edited by ModernRocker79 - November 18 2008 at 15:16
fillinwood View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 15:38
To each his own, the reason I like the Beatles is that they opened ears as they opened their own minds, they were the quintessential concept group who became more sophisticated as they became more successful.  IMHO, Revolution #9 is a brilliant piece precisely because it came from a group of artists who could make accessible music, but understood the more esoteric aspects of modern music.  This, for me, is the same as my enjoyment of Picasso, who made simple but effective use of the modern art language after proving that he could paint complex and detailed work.  Bring it on, I'm really eager to hear it!

Isengard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 15:42
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

A 14 minutes long experimentation? Isn't the common stuff we're talking about on this forum?
Anyway, I would be curious to listen at this piece, even if I'm not a fan. Could be interesting on a prospective point of view.

14 minutes of experimentation?  Sounds like the Beatles "Moonchild"    LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply