Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson - Lake - Powell issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 15:09
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

wow, a lot has happened since yesterday, sort of
have to believe that had Powell's last name been Smith, or anything that didn't start with a P, giving the band its own seperate page would have been a no brainer

In this case, ELP is a band formed by three men, one is changed, they change this m,ember's name.

If any band in the world had changed a member,. would probably not even be mentioned, as I mentioned URIA HEEP, changed almost 30 members and we won't start a page for each one.

Rush was also a Power Trio and changed  drummer, their bio explains this in nine words:

In 1974 John RUTSEY was replaced by Neil PEART

In this case and because names are involved, we added a 400 words extra bio, by courtesy of Tuzhivar, but like or not Emerson Lake and Powel is Emerson Lake and Palmer or ELP with one member changed...It's the same band, with the same composer, the same vocalist and the same sound, only changed a drummer so we won't start a new page.

Maybe it's a no brainer you, but not for us, we want to keep the coherence of the site and inflate the site with some bands that as a fact never existed because it's a change of one man

Iván

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 16:13
the point your missing is that: This isn't any other band in the world, this is a band that's identity is directly tied in to the members of the band because they chose to use their names.  You can't say a new band wasn't formed or "never existed" because the albums listed by Tuzvihar would beg to differ.  They weren't released as albums by Emerson, Lake & Palmer because the band that recorded them wasn't Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  The reason I originally refound this thread was because I thought it odd that I didn't see Emerson, Lake & Powell under the list of artists that begin with E, wondered how they were left out.  Was shocked to see them lumped in with Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  Made me wonder what they had to do, switch subgenres, maybe play prog folk, prog metal?

Time always wins.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 16:28
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

the point your missing is that: This isn't any other band in the world, this is a band that's identity is directly tied in to the members of the band because they chose to use their names.  You can't say a new band wasn't formed or "never existed" because the albums listed by Tuzvihar would beg to differ.  They weren't released as albums by Emerson, Lake & Palmer because the band that recorded them wasn't Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  The reason I originally refound this thread was because I thought it odd that I didn't see Emerson, Lake & Powell under the list of artists that begin with E, wondered how they were left out.  Was shocked to see them lumped in with Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  Made me wonder what they had to do, switch subgenres, maybe play prog folk, prog metal?

Well that's why they have a bio for themselves unlike other bands in the same situation.

The team considered them the same band with one member changed, but still allowed a new bio, we are not going to go further.

Thanks for the interest

Iván

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 16:30
BTW: Tuz I like you style, could you write a better bio for Emerson lake & Palmer.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12