FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Death of Nu-Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 15:42
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

First, Axl Rose is a good singer? I never thought of him that way, lol. I like Welcome to the Jungle, but the rest of their stuff is crap, imo.

And, I wouldn't group Disturbed into nu-metal either, but I really can't stand them. I enjoyed thier first album for a while, but ever since everything I hear from them sounds exactly the same. And while he is a good singer, I can't stand his arrogant stage persona. Reminds me of the way 80s hair metal bands acted.

And, if Killswitch is metalcore, I guess I am a fan, because I really like them, and any band that combines metal screaming with melodic singing. How can this genre be seen as worse than nu-metal? I guess if you are against change in music in any way, I can understand.

um, o....k, not sure where my take on Axl's singing deserved to be belittled, but anyways, on to your other points . . .

You don't like Disturbed. Cool. Moving on . . .

Well, well, something we finally agree on. Killswitch is very good in my opinion, though a bit repetetive, but then again I've come to expect that from most popular music these days. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but I have never heard people say that MetalCore is worse than Nu-Metgal. They just feel that metalcore is worse than traditional metal. It's all opinion.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by spookytooth spookytooth wrote:

I'm so glad Nu-Metal is over. I even hated it when I was little, and I still hate it. The late 90's (the height of nu-metal's popularity) was, as I remember, a dark age for music, with Nu-Metal being the king (or prince, maybe post-grunge was king) of that dark age.

To celebrate this glorious occasion, I shall take out my Roy Orbison's All Time Greatest Hits compilation and play the song "It's Over" and celebrate until I realize that metalcore is now the popular metal genre, and in some ways it's worse than Nu-Metal. Oh well, maybe in a few years, I'll celebrate metalcore's demise in the same manner Tongue...

OK, I'll admit that I like Korn's first album, but that's really it...

See, he said it. Like I said, I don't really get how someone could think that.

And, I wasn't trying to belittle what you said about Axl being a good singer, I just never thought of him that way. Maybe I need to listen better/differently next time I hear one of their songs.

And, sorry about Disturbed, but I have to stand by my comments, lol.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 18:44
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

Originally posted by spookytooth spookytooth wrote:

I'm so glad Nu-Metal is over. I even hated it when I was little, and I still hate it. The late 90's (the height of nu-metal's popularity) was, as I remember, a dark age for music, with Nu-Metal being the king (or prince, maybe post-grunge was king) of that dark age.

To celebrate this glorious occasion, I shall take out my Roy Orbison's All Time Greatest Hits compilation and play the song "It's Over" and celebrate until I realize that metalcore is now the popular metal genre, and in some ways it's worse than Nu-Metal. Oh well, maybe in a few years, I'll celebrate metalcore's demise in the same manner Tongue...

OK, I'll admit that I like Korn's first album, but that's really it...

See, he said it. Like I said, I don't really get how someone could think that.

And, I wasn't trying to belittle what you said about Axl being a good singer, I just never thought of him that way. Maybe I need to listen better/differently next time I hear one of their songs.

And, sorry about Disturbed, but I have to stand by my comments, lol.

lol, I wasn't bothered by what you said, I just didn;'t see how those other comments were all that relevant to the topic at hand is all. No biggy. Wink

Well then spookytooth is someone I can't figure out. See, MetalCore usually involves good musicianship, at least. Problem is most metalcore bands sound alot alike to me, personally, Killswitch is the acception, though. I think again they are an example of a band who just plays what they want yet happens to be crowded in with all the similar bands of their era. They stanhd out amoung the others, but the general public sees them as one and the same.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 23:03
Yeah, the sound is a bit overused, but I agree about Killswitch, I can't see them bowing down to a label's instructions, especially since they have been around for a while and have established fans. The sound that is so similar in metalcore is also why I listen to just a couple of those bands.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2008 at 23:07

I have noticed that metalcore usually feels a lot like heavier alternative rock and screamo, which generally I don't like too much. It could be that I've been hearing the wrong stuff, but as awesome as some of that stuff is at the first listen, I lose interest in it on subsequent listens.

Killswitch made me interested in them for a while, but the same thing happened when I listened to their newest album. Great musicians, and I like the fact that they don't solo in that album, but I find their melodic moments a bit cheesy, I don't particurlarly like the screams, and the lyrics (that I listen to a lot in KsE) are terribly generic. They were cool when I saw them though. Thumbs Up

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 09:44
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

SOAD never sounded like nu-metal. Alternative metal, to tell the truth.

I also tended to make this distinction, but I got confused if there really was a difference. You seem to know better than me, so I'll trust you and resume labelling SoaD Alt metal instead of Nu metal. Smile

topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2008 at 19:54
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

SOAD never sounded like nu-metal. Alternative metal, to tell the truth.

I also tended to make this distinction, but I got confused if there really was a difference. You seem to know better than me, so I'll trust you and resume labelling SoaD Alt metal instead of Nu metal. Smile

Me know better than somebody else here? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you aren't, thanks.

And yes, I do not consider SOAD nu-metal in the least. The people who label them such are the ones who have only heard "Chop Suey!" and/or maybe a couple of their quirkier songs. I enjoy them very much too, they are a pretty unique band.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123