9 [21.95%]
3 [7.32%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epics - How long?
    Posted: January 14 2009 at 09:05
^ I'm not really sure that all of those are epics ... for example, I don't think that Get em Out by Friday is one. I'll listen to it again tonight ... I think that a form of A B A (One part, then a completely different part, then the first part is re-visited) is not an epic.
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 09:04
Originally posted by mono mono wrote:

I voted >15min, because 10min+ tracks can be "overplayed" themes and solos... To make the 15, you've got to have an epic structure.

No ney never no more !!!  Confused

Canned Heat's   "Refried Boogie"  runs  for over 40 minutes  and  has nothing to do  with prog,  and even the progressive  "Metamorfosi"  by Banco  has been stretched  to  30 minutes  in concert  just  with  extensive jams of the band. 

The Beatles  have fiddled around on "What'd I Say"  in the early 60s  for an hour,  and that was a time when  only the influences  for the  progressive rock  were already there. 

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Long inprovisations are not epics . Example Focus's Eruption and Anonymus Two. But as I am writting this I also recall that song's with no lyrics like Tangerine dream's Cloudburst Fight can qualify as epic because of the spacey feel.

Anonymus II,  yes.

Eruption, no.  Eruption is no epic,  but the only improvisation part  is the 5-minutes-Bridge  in the middle,  all the rest ist perfectly composed and planned   and  doesn't include any variable improvisation parts. 
There is the  slow creepy "Orfeus" theme,  the prog-rock  piece "Answer",   the soft-psyh guitar solo  "Pupilla/Tommy"  and finally  the bombastic "Euridice", the classical track "Dayglow"  and the short drum part  "Endless Road".    There is no sign for a jam session  anywhere;  yeah, probably "Endless Road",  but with its 1.5  minutes  it is rather forgettable in this context.
All in all each man in all men
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 08:49
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

BTW: I voted for 10 minutes. Although I agree that it depends more on the content than on the length, it gets more difficult to tell a musical story in several chapters if your entire track lasts less than 10 minutes ... it's possible though.
+

Not only possible : 

Queen -  Bohemian Rhapsody, Prophet's Song
Camel - White Rider, Song Within A Song
Genesis - Get em Out by Friday,  The Fountain of Salmacis,  Firth of Fifth,  One for the Vine, Burning Rope
Yes - Starship Trooper,  Yours is No Disgrace,  And you and I,  Sound Chaser
King Crimson - Epitaph, In the Court of the Crimson King,  In the Wake of Poseidon

...  and many many more.  Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 08:10
BTW: I voted for 10 minutes. Although I agree that it depends more on the content than on the length, it gets more difficult to tell a musical story in several chapters if your entire track lasts less than 10 minutes ... it's possible though.
Malve87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 07:42
15 minutes for me:
Atom Heart Mother, Supper's ready, Octavarium, Shine on you crazy diamond (in its entirety is over 15 minutes), Dogs, Echoes, etc... they're all longer than that.
]
AlexUC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 14:25
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

The epic question requires not an epic answer.

That is: an epic song should end when its over, not after, not before.
Sure, but... you should quote these Einstein words
This is not my beautiful house...
AlexUC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 14:22
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

I voted >15min, because 10min+ tracks can be "overplayed" themes and solos... To make the 15, you've got to have an epic structure.

Nope... Listen to "Hallelulwah" by Can. Basically the same thing over and over for 18 minutes LOLWacko
And there's loads of other examples aswell.
But i'm voting for 10+, because then i'm not excluding any masterpieces.
If it's like a Hollywood story, it can be an epic. The same thing for over 2 hours (and even more)
This is not my beautiful house...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 13:49
The epic question requires not an epic answer.

That is: an epic song should end when its over, not after, not before.
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 13:44
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Depends on the band, or at least the point of their career that they are in. Pain of Salvation have never released a song that was over 12 minutes in length, yet I still consider The Perfect Element, People Passing By, Beyond the Pale, Dea Pecunea and Enter Rain to be epics, yet Dream Theater and Flower Kings songs hat are that long I wouldnt consider as an epic song

You forgot Disco Queen LOL
yeah
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 13:36
One interesting case is the second disc of Dirge - Wings Of Lead Over Dormant Seas. It's a 60 minute track with only a few passages which feature vocals. I think it's an epic though, because it's basically describing a long journey with ever changing scenery.
Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 13:30
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Even an 8-minute song can be an epic if it has an epic structure and content. On the other hand not all 20-minute songs are epics. An epic should have some kind of a storyline or at least a narrative feel to it  (This also applies to the kind of instrumentals that "tell a story" with the music.) Gates of Delirium by Yes is clearly an epic, Get 'em Out by Friday by Genesis is also an epic (even though it's shorter than 10 minutes), but Echoes by Pink Floyd, in opinion, is not, neither is Mirror Man by Captain Beefheart or Sister Ray by Velvet Underground. Basically, a song that hasn't got a developing story cannot be an epic, no matter how long it is.

If there's an actual "right" answer to the presented question, I think my friend here came up with it.
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 10:20
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Even an 8-minute song can be an epic if it has an epic structure and content. On the other hand not all 20-minute songs are epics. An epic should have some kind of a storyline or at least a narrative feel to it  (This also applies to the kind of instrumentals that "tell a story" with the music.) Gates of Delirium by Yes is clearly an epic, Get 'em Out by Friday by Genesis is also an epic (even though it's shorter than 10 minutes), but Echoes by Pink Floyd, in opinion, is not, neither is Mirror Man by Captain Beefheart or Sister Ray by Velvet Underground. Basically, a song that hasn't got a developing story cannot be an epic, no matter how long it is.

Agreed. Some long tracks are indeed just that ... long tracks. I think that in order to be an "epic", a song needs some kind of epic narrative, which is usually a combination of music and lyrics. I think of it as a series of songs which function like chapters of a book - or acts of a play - with some cross references (recurring themes, elements of the story being revisited or reprised). And of course the songs need to be connected musically (seamless connection), otherwise it would simply be a concept album.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 09:33
...   including several musical/lyrical themes  that are combined well,  sometimes reprised  and  connected with instrumental parts. 

The time  doesn't say much about  epic/not epic;   especially Camel create epics  that are sometimes just 5-8 minutes long.  
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 22:08
I rarely think of things as epics anymore, because I've been playing and listening to more classical music with my symphony, and often there are plenty of pieces 15+ minutes long and they are standard pieces.

However, this is prog, which you can't really compare with classical music.

An epic in prog to me is a long track (long can depend on anyone's opinion, usually to me it's about 10 minutes) that develops musically and usually carries on several different sections. Reoccuring themes and lyrics often happen, even between long gaps of other music. This also doesn't just mean writing a verse/chorus/verse/chorus song with some extra padding for the intro and between verses, with an extended bridge. In that sense, "The Ministry of Lost Souls" at 14:57 is not an epic to me while "Hessian Peel" at 11:26 seems rather epic. However, I'm used to listening to longer pieces at this point, so the whole "epic" feeling I used to get while listening to "Close to the Edge" is gone, but I still enjoy it.

I voted 15+ just because most songs seem to be epics around that point. However, time doesn't define an epic.

Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:58

Nope... Listen to "Hallelulwah" by Can. Basically the same thing over and over for 18 minutes LOLWacko
And there's loads of other examples aswell.
But i'm voting for 10+, because then i'm not excluding any masterpieces.
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:30
In my opinion it doesn't have anything to do with aong length , You can feel when a song is epic by it's lyrics and music for example. Karn Evil 9 is not an epic even if it's half an hour long. However , the Third Impression is one of the best epic tracks among the genre and it's under the 10 minute mark.

Long inprovisations are not epics . Example Focus's Eruption and Anonymus Two. But as I am writting this I also recall that song's with no lyrics like Tangerine dream's Cloudburst Fight can qualify as epic because of the spacey feel.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:08
My opinion is that a track can be considered an epic if and only if it tells or implies a story. Personally, I think putting any sort of specific time limit on it has the problem of excluding something because of just a few seconds (for instance, someone says a ten minute + track is an epic, something like The Knife would be left out while something like Voodoo Chile would get in).

Essentially, what Vompatti said, though I would consider Echoes an epic with a developing story, even if an abstract one. Ditto Close To The Edge.
poslednijat_colobar View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 08:16
Over 10 minutes is very long song according to me, but over 15 is composition (or epic)!Embarrassed
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 07:48
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 07:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>