Topic ClosedProtoKaw in Kansas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProtoKaw in Kansas
    Posted: April 25 2005 at 18:51

I just spent the weekend traveling 3000 miles round trip to see this fantastic band.  I wasn't sure what to expect live from a band who has only played 10 shows before this one in 30 years. What i found were top notch musicans enjoying every second on stage.  If you are unfamiliar with this band got to the following link and you will find out all you need to know:

WWW.Protokaw.com

The line up was:
Lynn Merideth on Vocals
Dan Wright- Keyboards
Mike Patrum- On Drums
Craig Kew-Bass
John Bolton-Sax and Flute
Jake Livgren-Sax, Keyboards, Guitar, percussion and backing
Kerry Livgren-Lead Guitar and Keyboards

The sound overall was a progressive jam. It's scope encompassing many genres and the performance was memorizing. The trio of Wright, Patrum and Kew lay down such a firm foundation ,that is not boring at all, for the duo of K. Livgren and Bolton to improvise over.  The set list they played taken off their first two CD's Early Recordings and Before Became After would have added up to about 1 hour and 13 minutes form the CD's.  The total concert time was like 1:40 minutes. A lot of extended jams even on the more commercial songs made the whole show enjoyable. Some of the songs that are more intense on the CD's came out more laid back and less dramatic.  This did not make them bad just different.  (Some of it had to do with a semi pro sound system.  I am sure in the right environment they will bring back that edge.)  In the meantime the duo soloing of Livgren and Bolton brings a whole different type of drama and tension to the mix.  Throw in the songs when Wright solos and you have a great little battle of the chops going on. Lynn Meredith’s vocals are just as strong live as they are on the CD's.  He is a mix of Steve Walsh, Peter Hammil, Ian Gillian and Jon Anderson all rolled into one. The other thing I noticed about this group was how much fun they had playing.  It is so refreshing to see a band with their age having fun.  If you get a chance go see these guys.  They are just staring to play in other parts of the country having recently playing Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland and Pittsburg, PA.  Next month they are playing New Jersey with Frogg Cafe and they are going to be added to BB Kings on July 5, Tuesday show in New York. They also are going to be the opening band at Nearfest pre-show for PFM.  In the meantime they are working on a new CD to be released in September. According to the lead singer it will be less influenced like Van Der Graff Generator, Yes and  Jethro Tull and more like Zappa, King Crimson, Velvet Revolver and Bad Company.  It will be good either way and the live shows will be killer.  Go see

Song List

Alt. More Worlds Than Known
Totus Nemesis
Axolotl
Quantum Leap Frog
Words of Honor
Occasion of Your Honest Dreaming
Heavnly Man
Gloriana
Greenburg, Glickstein, Charles, David, Smith and Jones
Skont
Death of Mother Nature Suite
Belexes

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 11:11
Great review. Thanks. 
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 11:19

Yo G,

Great review. I love both CD's and the new one sound like an interesting mix: Zappa, King Crimson, Velvet Revolver and Bad Company... I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that one.

Seeing Proto-Kaw with Frogg Cafe would really be a special event.

Thanks G-man, you rock!

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 00:50

Here are a couple of pics from the show

Graig Kew and Kerry Livgren

Kerry Playing  Keyboard

Kerry Livgren on guitar

John Bolton Wailing a solo on Sax

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"