Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReview format: paragraph

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review format: paragraph
    Posted: February 23 2009 at 14:54
Hi there,

I have a problem with the paragraphs in the reviews;  my "Piper" review had originally quite some of them that it isn't so hard to read, but somehow they aren't shown - ditto my inverted commas.  Is this my fault, or does my browser show the text to me wrong or what's the problem? Smile

Best wishes,
Einsetumadur
All in all each man in all men
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 15:10
That is one tough review to slog through without paragraph breaks.  Some reviewers never put in breaks and I just skip over them.  Even the ones from prog reviewers.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 16:28
Yes, I think so, too. Smile  Did I probably put in so many of these <hr>-things so that none of them was shown ? In this form, the text is just unreadable, that's right ...  
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 16:56
Einsetumadur, missing paragraph breaks is a bug. It was reported to M@X some time ago, I hope it will be fixed sooner or later.

Now to have a paragraph break in your review you have to press Enter key twice (at the end of previous line).

Your review is very long and really hard to read. I think the best way to correct this is to save the text somewhere and ask admins to delete it. After that you can submit new review (using saved text and introducing paragraph breaks like I just told you).

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 17:15
I write all my reviews in MS Word first, and then simply copy and paste.  I've never had a problem.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 19:09
I have learned another trick... Put <p> at the end of each paragraph, and you'll get the breaks automatically. I posted a review earlier today, and it worked perfectly.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 20:00
um, Return Key anyone?

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 00:34
Yep tap the return key twice. I write all my reviews in wordpad. Just be sure to close the program and open it again before pasting the review into PA ( or else it will look strange). I works well for me.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 03:00
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Hi there,

I have a problem with the paragraphs in the reviews;  my "Piper" review had originally quite some of them that it isn't so hard to read, but somehow they aren't shown - ditto my inverted commas.  Is this my fault, or does my browser show the text to me wrong or what's the problem? Smile

Best wishes,
Einsetumadur

Let me know the review number E, and I'll tidy the presentaiton for you.Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 06:21
Okay, if it works with double enter,  it would be nice if anyone deleted the old review so that I can put the new one (with the enters) in.  Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 09:17
See my psot above E, just let me know the review number and I'll do it for you.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 10:52
Ah, sorry.  204113
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 14:26
Cheers, it will be done!
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 16:40
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=204310
I wrote it on notepad, but then I forgot that copying from that can make the paragraphs falling apart. Can someone form it like this:

"

Dreyelands chose to apply the downloading form of distribution and made the debut EP freely downloadable from their website. I hope that my review will drive many of prog metal fans to check this fresh band out.

They recommend themselves "those who like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pagan’s Mind, Circus Maximus, Jorn Lande, Evergrey or Redemption, just to mention a few bands". But one very important influence is left out: Pain of Salvation. Actually, on this EP it can only be heard in One Fall, but, I was at their first performance of the forthcoming (concept) album, House of Death (which will feature all the three songs here), and the PoS-impression became clear. By the way, that night they were invited by Age of Nemesis to play before the most famous Hungarian prog metal band at their year-closing concert.
Not to forget, they have enough individuality to be an original band and not an average "prog metal-tribute" bunch.

This EP is really great. Five excellent musicians (not unusual in the fields of prog) have come together, I especially enjoy the rhythm section: Omar Gassama, the drummer and Gergely Springer, the bassist.

1. Can't Hide Away: The best song! Starts with a distorted guitar playing the riff, then other instruments join in, and for some seconds you could be scared since it sounds like extreme metal. But after they play the first tonality change (0:15) you can settle: it's prog. This opening section is followed by a synth (Zoltán Kas) and a guitar solo (András Ádám Horváth), and then comes the first verse. The interlude between the verse and the chorus is genial. The first refrain is only hlaf-done, and the final note is a half note below what it will be later. A virtuoso bass leads the song to the calm middle part which has an additional funky guitar. The way it gets into the basic tempo is awesome: tension-enlarging vocal lines with an excellent yell on the climax by Nikola Mijic! Every time I hear it, I have the creeps! And finally there's the full chorus, which is fairly catchy. Another six-string solo, and once again the chorus with bigger speed and double bass drum. The cut-off's abrupt and professional.

2. Fearless: The first motives and the synth riff (which is often repeated throughtou the song) have arabic musical influences. Some strange disformed spoken parts can be heard in the background. The band is full with great melodies, like the one during the line "and the bridges burn" and the refrain accompanied by the piano. At 3:20 there is the most important Dream Theater-trademark: a guitar solo started by notes that remind the listener of Stream of Consciousness and played in the vein of Petrucci.

3. One Fall: The longest track with the intro that could easily be part of One Hour by the Concrete Lake, the second Pain of Salvation-album; responsible for this are the melody and the first sound of the keys. The other parts bring change into this "tribute", a verse-chorus form is played twice in a row. More parts of the song, especially the pre-chorus is pretty interesting rhytmically. I have to talk about the outro: a bit back to PoS, first played by the full band, than on the very end by a piano and a high-pitched bass.
This could be a prototype of a very good EP, however, there are some week points, like the overrepeated riffs. I'm sure the band will make success if they can find a label and they don't let the time flow out of their hands.

"

Thank you in advance!
yeah
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 03:12
Eins's done, you're will be done shortly Diaby.
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 10:23
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Eins's done, you're will be done shortly Diaby.

Thank you! Smile
yeah
 Post Reply Post Reply