Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXTC one more time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 07:43
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Great post!

Just adding a few things to spice things up:

Barry Andrews played with XTC and Robert Fripp's League Of Gentlemen.
Pat Mastelotto played for XTC and King Crimson.
Dave Mattacks played for XTC, Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention.
Todd Rundgren played keyboards and did backing vocals (as well as production) on "Skylarking".
"Battery Brides (Andy Paints Brian)" is dedicated to Brian Eno.
Primus covered two songs from "Drums and Wires".
"The Magic Roundabout" from the "English Settlement" is in 5/4.
They used classical guitars, prepared pianos, a battery of analog synths, flugelhorns, trumpets, horns, saxophones, oboe, harmonica, various ethnic percussions, gamelan angklung, sound effects, alive frogs, tiple, sitar, violas, cellos, violins, Hammond organ, both Chemberlain and  Mellotron.
"25 O' Clock" is a psyche record, with psyche music and psyche cover. The album was recorder on a four-track to replicate overdubbing techniques of the era. "Bike To The Moon" is obvious example of Barrett/Pink Floyd influence.

There's more, but that will do. Of course, each of these points might mean nothing, but alltogether they could be rellevant in The Grand Scheme Of ThingsSmile

I think that makes a good case for prog related.  I also think Talking Heads should be there. 

Which XTC album was Pat on?

Hear, hear!Clap

However, I urge you to be careful about suggesting bands for PR just because of collaborations... There have to be musical reasons too, or else I hate to think about what we could end up finding hereLOL. Personally, I think TH qualify for musical reasons, not just because of Brian Eno and Adrian Belew... Their influence on King Crimson's Eighties trilogy is too big to be overlooked.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 10:30

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

XTC is a tricky one. Yes, I love 'em to bits but can't help thinking they could be considered as creators of freshly minted antique coins. They are certainly influenced greatly by prog but I fear this is maybe a one way street ? In many ways XTC have come to resemble a multi faceted version of Black Bonzo i.e the latter can mimic with insouciant ease any manner of heavy prog from the 70's while the former can do the same with any manner of pop music from the 60's through to now. (a considerably wider and harder remit to be sure and deserving of the status of curators of popular music)

Partridge & Co's early post punk output was palpably influenced by Talking Heads (and David Byrne in particular) before they moved into the realm of retro psychedelica (Skylarking - Oranges and Lemons - Dukes of Stratosphear etc) and along the way, there is probably no conceivable style or genre of pop music that they have not assimilated into their writing during a very long career.

So where would they fit in PA ?

Eclectic Prog - Nah, not predominantly progressive enough methinks ?
Crossover Prog - Nah, not predominantly progressive enough methinks ?
Prog Related - Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog. - borderline, as they fit the foregoing but have only been influence by prog ?

Having said all that, the strictures of definition belonging to all the available genres cannot possibly be applied to the letter (Music is not an exact science after all) and given the inevitable history of hullaballoos re Bowie, Doors, Miles Davis, Roy Harper and Sabbath etc I catch a whiff of red misty incense in the air round these parts real soon y'all....

So kick out Sabbath and Roy Harper and let XTC in (only kidding - just) LOL

Great post!

Todd Rundgren played keyboards and did backing vocals (as well as production) on "Skylarking".
They used classical guitars, prepared pianos, a battery of analog synths, flugelhorns, trumpets, horns, saxophones, oboe, harmonica, various ethnic percussions, gamelan angklung, sound effects, alive frogs, tiple, sitar, violas, cellos, violins, Hammond organ, both Chemberlain and  Mellotron.
"25 O' Clock" is a psyche record, with psyche music and psyche cover. The album was recorder on a four-track to replicate overdubbing techniques of the era. "Bike To The Moon" is obvious example of Barrett/Pink Floyd influence.

There's more, but that will do. Of course, each of these points might mean nothing, but alltogether they could be rellevant in The Grand Scheme Of ThingsSmile

Sadly 25 O'Clock is a pastiche of psychedelic records so probably doesn't count. Oh, and it's English Roundabout, not Magic Roundabout.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 11:16
^ however, English Roundabout was written about Swindons Magic Roundabout (I assume the 5/4 time is something to do with the mini-roundabouts on each of the 5 exits Geek).
What?
Saskia View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 12:59
Quote Great post!

C'm on, this is getting silly. I can do the same thing for U2:

Bono sang with Luciano Pavarotti (whooh! Opera/Classical music link)
Brian Eno played keyboards and produced many U2 albums
Daniel Lanois has collaborated with both U2 and Peter Gabriel albums
Bono and Peter Gabriel both contributed songs to a 1995 Leonard Cohen tribute album
The band has used keyboards, synths, piano, french horn, violin, boy soprano, madolin, pedal steel, harmonium, cello and mellotron on their albums
A number of bands on prog archives have been influenced by U2
Dream Theater covered a U2 song

See how easy this is?

Edited by Saskia - May 19 2009 at 13:01
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 13:01
Who is XTC? Are they like a-Ha?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 13:09
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

What?
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 13:18
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

So they could actually be maybe Quasi-Neo-Prog?

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 13:30

I've been waiting a long time for that sub genre to be added here. LOL

Whatsamadda with you people?

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 19 2009 at 13:31
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 13:32
Originally posted by Saskia Saskia wrote:

Quote Great post!

C'm on, this is getting silly. I can do the same thing for U2:

Bono sang with Luciano Pavarotti (whooh! Opera/Classical music link)
Brian Eno played keyboards and produced many U2 albums
Daniel Lanois has collaborated with both U2 and Peter Gabriel albums
Bono and Peter Gabriel both contributed songs to a 1995 Leonard Cohen tribute album
The band has used keyboards, synths, piano, french horn, violin, boy soprano, madolin, pedal steel, harmonium, cello and mellotron on their albums
A number of bands on prog archives have been influenced by U2
Dream Theater covered a U2 song

See how easy this is?

You're right, Sask. The things could be stretched to fit any case from Bob Marley to INXS only if you dig deep enough, I guess.

But I hear the difference in music itself. I'm not saying XTC is prog, I say they are a case suitable for prog-related. And their music is often innovative, avantgarde (oh, yes) and complex, which may be or may be not connected with the statements above.

U2 does not contain a single particle of prog not even under an electronic microscope, and collaboration with 100 Emersons and Wakemans won't changed that if they had not any significant impact on the music itself.

Edited by clarke2001 - May 19 2009 at 13:34
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 13:33

Personally, I think to be around in the early 1980s and not be Neo-Prog kind of negates any chance of Quasi affiliation. Possibly Virgin management prevented any association with the neo-prog scene at the time, but musically there were not related - XTC are Art (School) Rock of the English variety.
What?
Saskia View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 14:26

You're right, Sask. The things could be stretched to fit any case from Bob Marley to INXS only if you dig deep enough, I guess.

But I hear the difference in music itself. I'm not saying XTC is prog, I say they are a case suitable for prog-related. And their music is often innovative, avantgarde (oh, yes) and complex, which may be or may be not connected with the statements above.

U2 does not contain a single particle of prog not even under an electronic microscope, and collaboration with 100 Emersons and Wakemans won't changed that if they had not any significant impact on the music itself.

I'm sorry. I love XTC but IMO they shouldn't be on prog archives because every single song they've written fits the rock/pop mould. Just because those songs are so clever, the instrumentation so inventive and the lyrics so witty doesn't make them progressive because the foundations those songs are built on are not progressive at all.
moe_blunts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 10:32
I think XTC would make a wonderful addition to the archives. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234