Poll Question: Which one do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [57.14%]
6 [42.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ox or The Fish?
    Posted: March 19 2009 at 17:46
Yes, been done before, but it's been a long time....hope so....

Squire influenced a enormous amount of Prog bass players, and he's such a awesome bassist, but John simply has the power.

The Ox gets my vote.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 18:08
Ox is the innovator,i love his playing.

Love Squire as well but Entwistle  really changed bass as we know it.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 00:35
Confused I'd like a "both" option. (The Fox?LOL)  I never thought to choose one over the other, or Yes over the Who.Ermm

Both are very different bands and bassists -- both are very good bands and bassists. That's enough for me.They each have their considerable strengths or "uses," but they are not in "competition" in my collection.  I honestly don't go around "choosing" one band or musician over another. No offense please Cacho, but to me that's kid's stuff, or for sports fans -- not for mature music fans with far-ranging tastes.

I like both apples and oranges as well. Sometimes I crave an apple, sometimes an orange. I like grapes, kiwis, nectarines, peaches, pineapples, plums, pomegranates and pizza, too....Wink

Stern Smile  V Her right breast, or her left? (Depends upon which side of the bed I get up on, I guess....) Ermm

Wink
    ) (
   (Y)

Edited by Peter - March 20 2009 at 02:24
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 02:28
Oh don't make me choose!

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 06:24
Peter, in case you didn't know, Pablo is turning 15 in a few days, so I suppose that would make him a kid. At his age, or even somewhat older, I used to enjoy this stuff... Now, of course, I don't anymore, but I don't think you can expect a teenager to behave like someone who is closer to 50 than to 40.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 10:40
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Peter, in case you didn't know, Pablo is turning 15 in a few days, so I suppose that would make him a kid. At his age, or even somewhat older, I used to enjoy this stuff... Now, of course, I don't anymore, but I don't think you can expect a teenager to behave like someone who is closer to 50 than to 40.
Waaah! I'm telling Mom! Cry

Pablo? No, I don't know who he is, nor do I routinely check forum members' ages. I just found the poll choices a trifle silly, but I tried to respond to it (while yet making my point) it in good humour. My, it's increasingly hard to get a laugh out of people around here! Disapprove
He chortled in his joy.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 10:42
Squire is a little bit more of a showman, I think...LOL
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 10:56
Well i like both but Entwistle get my preference 

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 11:15
Ox. Like Moon before him The Who should not have carried on once he departed. I'd rather remember the band as they were in the 70's. I am not sure how much different Yes would sound without Squire.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 16:28
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Pablo? No, I don't know who he is, nor do I routinely check forum members' ages. I just found the poll choices a trifle silly, but I tried to respond to it (while yet making my point) it in good humour. My, it's increasingly hard to get a laugh out of people around here! Disapprove

I'm PabloUnhappy
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

I'm PabloUnhappy
Sorry -- I thought you were "Cacho." If you want me to call you Pablo, why not call yourself that? Why use a nickname, if you want to be known by your real name? Is everyone expected to read and memorize everyone's profile? Confused

There was no offense intended.

Again, I just think the two bassists (other than having animal nicknames) have very little in common. I love them both, and they each have a place of honour in my collection, but they play(ed) in very different bands. Each was/is a master of his instrument. Each has given me loads of pleasure over 35+ years -- I never thought to "measure" and compare the pleasure.

I like lots of stuff, at different times.

Why would I choose? When did music become a competitive sport?Confused

Again, no offense please, but I would like to see more of these "VS" polls include a 'both" option! Smile
He chortled in his joy.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 22:04
^I never said you should memorize my name, but if Raff started talking some Pablo, something logical would be check the OP's name....
And no, I don't want you to call me Pablo if you don't want, I was reffering that my name is Pablo, and Raff was talking about me, and you didn't know. Call me Cacho, it's the same for me.
First misunderstanding, let's go to the second one...

it's not a competitive sport! Please man, you are really misunderstanding ALL polls, and you've been here since 2004!! These polls is to see who's people's favorite, not who's the best. Favorite is not competition, who's the best is competition.

And inserting a "both option" really makes the purpose of the poll quite useless....

Edited by cacho - March 20 2009 at 22:06
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 23:43

^I never said you should memorize my name, but if Raff started talking some Pablo, something logical would be check the OP's name....
And no, I don't want you to call me Pablo if you don't want, I was reffering that my name is Pablo, and Raff was talking about me, and you didn't know. Call me Cacho, it's the same for me.

it's not a competitive sport! Please man, you are really misunderstanding ALL polls, and you've been here since 2004!! These polls is to see who's people's favorite, not who's the best. Favorite is not competition, who's the best is competition.

And inserting a "both option" really makes the purpose of the poll quite useless....

Okay, I'll call you Cacho then, Pablo.Wink I probably won't remember your name for  longEmbarrassed , if we're not talking regularly, and if it doesn't appear in your posts. I forget names quickly, if I don't speak to or see the person often. I just cannot keep track of the hundreds of nicknames and  (unseen) real names which apply on this forum. My original point was that Raff acted as if I should know your real name, and age -- neither of which appears in most people's posts. (My dispute was not with you.)

As to the second "misunderstanding," I did not say 'best,"  or even assume you meant that. My point is that I 'favour" neither of those basists over the other. They're both GREAT, and more or less equally appreciated by me. That is why, in such polls, a "both" option makes sense. Some of us enjoy both of the "competing" artists to the same degree, for different reasons, at different times, and in different moods. (Indeed, we don't even think about "measuring" our pleasure from one relative to the other.) We like variety -- we like a lot of bassists, artists, albums, forms of music and many things roughly EQUALLY. We don't see them as competing with each other for our favour. I hope you can understand that. (If you like, I see this "contest" as a 'tie.")

For example, there are many meals I really  like, many good students, many great books, many authors, many movies and many actors. They all have different strengths. I don't normally rank them in terms of "favourite," "second" and so on. I just don't think that way -- least of all about art.

(We don't all need to see art the same way.) Ying Yang

I honestly love both of those bassists, at different times, and in different moods. I like loads of other bassists, too, just as much. I don't "rank" them against each other. Smile

Embarrassed Unfortunately, we seem to have gotten off on a bad foot with each other. I don't want to fight with you-- I just wanted to make my point of view clear. I can understand yours -- I hope you can understand mine.
Thumbs Up

Edited by Peter - March 20 2009 at 23:49
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 00:04
Originally posted by Jozef Jozef wrote:

Oh don't make me choose!
^ This forum member and poll respondent apparently feels the same way I do, Pablo -- he likes both bassists, and doesn't want to "choose" one over the other. (Nor would he likely have thought of doing so.)

I find such scenarios artificial.  The Who and Yes are both major artists in my life, and in my collection. Apart from  a man with a gun coming in and making me "choose," I wouldn't choose. I choose a Yes album one day, a Who album another. I don't count or keep track of these things, or think of them in that way.

I think many older music fans are like that -- though I did speak of "favourites" as a teen. (Even in my high school yearbook, there was a place for '"favourite song." I honestly could not pick just one now, at 48, nor would I want to!)

A "both" option often works best for many of us, I believe.Smile

Edited by Peter - March 21 2009 at 09:25
He chortled in his joy.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 11:47

Originally posted by Jozef Jozef wrote:

Oh don't make me choose!
^ This forum member and poll respondent apparently feels the same way I do, Pablo -- he likes both bassists, and doesn't want to "choose" one over the other. (Nor would he likely have thought of doing so.)

I find such scenarios artificial.  The Who and Yes are both major artists in my life, and in my collection. Apart from  a man with a gun coming in and making me "choose," I wouldn't choose. I choose a Yes album one day, a Who album another. I don't count or keep track of these things, or think of them in that way.

I think many older music fans are like that -- though I did speak of "favourites" as a teen. (Even in my high school yearbook, there was a place for '"favourite song." I honestly could not pick just one now, at 48, nor would I want to!)

A "both" option often works best for many of us, I believe.Smile

I understand the post you're quoting, I've done it too, but he doesn't express feelings of making this poll or any poll pointless. He's just expressing the first point of view that you made, in your first post, which is completely acceptable, and I repeat, I've said it too. But to say that this is sport competition and that can people can't have favorites because it's childish or whatever, I think that's offensive or at least misleading.

Not sure if you read my point on the "both" option: I said that it makes most polls objectives pointless, since the one who makes the poll, wants to know which or who is the people's favorite/preferences.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 11:52

Okay, I'll call you Cacho then, Pablo.Wink I probably won't remember your name for  longEmbarrassed , if we're not talking regularly, and if it doesn't appear in your posts. I forget names quickly, if I don't speak to or see the person often. I just cannot keep track of the hundreds of nicknames and  (unseen) real names which apply on this forum. My original point was that Raff acted as if I should know your real name, and age -- neither of which appears in most people's posts. (My dispute was not with you.)

As to the second "misunderstanding," I did not say 'best,"  or even assume you meant that. My point is that I 'favour" neither of those basists over the other. They're both GREAT, and more or less equally appreciated by me. That is why, in such polls, a "both" option makes sense. Some of us enjoy both of the "competing" artists to the same degree, for different reasons, at different times, and in different moods. (Indeed, we don't even think about "measuring" our pleasure from one relative to the other.) We like variety -- we like a lot of bassists, artists, albums, forms of music and many things roughly EQUALLY. We don't see them as competing with each other for our favour. I hope you can understand that. (If you like, I see this "contest" as a 'tie.")

For example, there are many meals I really  like, many good students, many great books, many authors, many movies and many actors. They all have different strengths. I don't normally rank them in terms of "favourite," "second" and so on. I just don't think that way -- least of all about art.

(We don't all need to see art the same way.) Ying Yang

I honestly love both of those bassists, at different times, and in different moods. I like loads of other bassists, too, just as much. I don't "rank" them against each other. Smile

Embarrassed Unfortunately, we seem to have gotten off on a bad foot with each other. I don't want to fight with you-- I just wanted to make my point of view clear. I can understand yours -- I hope you can understand mine.
Thumbs Up

I do understand you, but unfortunately disagree, I think saying that people can't prefer one work of art over another nor one artist over another, is just "against" human "logic".

If you don't prefer one over another, fine, you can do 2 things, post and say "Too difficult!", or something of the style, or simply just don't bother coming to polls, which you seem to find childish and pointless.

I respect your opinion, but it's better to keep them to yourself, and not tell them to the one creating a poll or thread to make PA a bit more fun, don't you think?
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 17:07

^ Cacho, I still think you misunderstand me, or read too much into my words.

I was only ever trying to speak for myself -- not others. Of course people can and often do prefer one artist or album over another. Obviously, I often have preferences too.

My point was that I have no clear preference in this case, and because I often find myself wanting to choose "both" (as I often see others do too) in such polls, I believe that providing that "neutral" third option could be a good thing -- and actually further revealing  or informative or the range of tastes here.

Many besides myself, when asked to choose on such questions, will say "why must it be an 'either/or' proposition? Can't I have them both, or value them equally?"

I'd just like to have that choice more often, so that everything does not always seem to come down to a matter of "winners" and "losers." In life, there can often be ties, can there not, when two competitors are found to be of equal merit? Smile

Edited by Peter - March 21 2009 at 17:12
He chortled in his joy.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 17:34
I like both, but if I have to choose, I vote for Chris Squire. He is not only my favourite bass player, but also a key influence in Yes music.
 Post Reply Post Reply