Topic ClosedVan Der Graaf Generator - NYC, June 21st, 2009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van Der Graaf Generator - NYC, June 21st, 2009
    Posted: June 22 2009 at 21:10

Fresh off there NEARfest gig, this intrepid trio journeyed east to the Nokia Theater in Time Square NYC. It was not the nicest of days, grey skies, thunder in the distance, humid air, intermittent bouts of rain...but nevertheless I was quite excited to see my fourth favorite band play live, an occurrence I never thought I'd get to witness.

On this show they were supported by the Acoustic Strawbs. Not being familiar with the regular Strawbs I wasn't sure what to expect. The concert started at 8:00 PM, and although I didn't look at the time the AS took the stage I must believe it was pretty much on the dot (many people scrambled into the stage area as soon as they took the stage). They played for about 45 mins (again, I believe...I didn't check any timing device, so others that were there please correct me) and were a bit of a pleasant surprise. There were three people (names not known unfortunately) all on acoustic guitars (one playing acoustic bass occasionally) and vocals. Additionally, bass pedals and what sounded like recorded strings were also employed to widen their sonic palette. Unfortunately I don't recall the set list (mostly because I don't know the band, nor could I completely hear the lead singer announce the song names when he did), but they were better than I expected, and although their set was a little samey, the time passed quickly. There was also a nice little light show to accompany them, which added an extra layer to their performance.

Then, intermission. House lights came back on and people started to migrate out back to the bars/bathroom/other general areas of interest. According to someone I was with intermission lasted about 15-20 minuets. After this time the house lights began to dim and the crowd began to erupt with appaulse (and a standing ovation). Out walks Hammill, Banton, and Evans. They sit at their respective instruments and after the crowd settles down, the magic begins.

Here is the set list:
Interference Patterns
Scorched Earth
Every Bloody Emperor
Lemmings
Lifetime
All That Before
Childlike Faith In Childhoods End
Over The Hill
Man-Erg
Encore: Sleepwalkers

And man what a show it was! As most people seem(ed) to be, I was a little concerned how they would be without the sax man, but whatever apprehension I was feeling was soon alleviated. While I thought there were a few songs where a sax would have been nice, those moments were minimal and the three of them really filled the sound out. They never sounded empty or dull. They were loud (but not overly so), powerful, and rocked. The best song was perhaps Scorched Earth, with the instrumental section absolutely blazing. I don't think there was tighter playing throughout the whole set. I can only imagine the rest of the audience as entranced as I was during this time. Other contenders for best song are Lemmings (with a fantastic experimental opening section with some delicious drumming by Evans) and Sleepwalkers (with some fun interplay and rearranged middle bit that replaced Jackson's solo quite well IMO). This is not meant to write off the other songs, by any means, its just these three needed special attention. I also really enjoyed Interference Patterns, All That Before, Man-Erg, and (the end of) Childlike Faith In Childhoods End.

Additionally, from what I read about previous trio shows I was expecting Banton to steal the show. However, it is really difficult for me to say that. Not because Banton was off, but because the rest of the band was so good. Evans really impressed me especially. He was pounding away at the drums and really seemed to be getting into the songs like he was in his twenties. For me he was also the most consistent player that night. Banton was tremendous as well, with all his limbs moving around the organs keyboards, and the pedals underneath, rarely missing a step. Not to ignore Hammill in all of this, as his piano playing seemed right on and his voice still as good as it was years ago, but he often gets (well deserved) recognition. He also seemed the most excited, smiling often, really getting into the songs, dancing (or semi dancing) during Sleepwalkers latin bit, joking with the crowd a couple of times, and skipping at one point. Though, they all seemed very comfortable on stage. There were a few bumps along the road. Most notable was in Lemmings with Hammill on the guitar. Also Interference Patterns seemed slightly off at one point, but that could just be the nature of the song as its pretty jagged sounding as is. However, these minor gaffs were few, and compared to the moments of excellence pretty damn insignificant.

A minor sidenote must be mentioned about the crowd. From what I was told the theater was about 2/3s full (maybe a bit more), but it seemed much louder. Almost every song (and all of the classics) got a standing ovation from the better part of the crowd. Additionally, the crowd at times got slightly unruly. Multiple times between songs various members of the crowd would scream out song titles for them to play. (Someone even mentioned Theme One and The Necromancer!) But everyone was very appreciative of VDGG, and the band seemed very thankful for the ovations they received (and according to someone I saw the show with almost surprised at the amount of applause and hooting and hollering).

All in all, it was a very enjoyable evening. I never thought I would get to see these guys play together, especially in America. Perhaps for that this review will seem a bit overzealous to some, but so be it. If you have the chance to see VDGG play take the opportunity. I'd give a show somewhere between 4-4.5 stars (and also would have changed the playlist around a bit Tongue). Not the absolute best show I've seen but somewhere up there.

Here's hoping they will return soon, and this time bring merchandise! ClapClap

Edited by Man With Hat - June 22 2009 at 22:58
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 22:41
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Here's hoping they will return soon, and this time bring merchandise! ClapClap

You're lucky you saw them as I have a feeling this will be it forever as far as U.S. appearances. Just a hunch.

Thanks for the impressions of the NYC gig (a good read!). Here's a review of the same gig from the New York Times:

jc
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 22:59
Thanks! And thanks for the link.

Also, I am afraid you will be right. Thats one reason I made sure not to miss them.

Pirx the Pilot View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 08:10
Wonderful!  I'll be at the show in Arlington, MA tonight (just outside of Boston).  It's going to be a looong day...
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 08:49
Great review - thanks for posting!
I'll be at the Arlington show tonight as well.
verbcrunch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 12:29
Great show in Arlington last night - brilliant performances, thoroughly enjoyed !
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 13:48
Thanks for a great review - would have loved to have been thereClap

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Pirx the Pilot View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 14:15
Originally posted by verbcrunch verbcrunch wrote:

Great show in Arlington last night - brilliant performances, thoroughly enjoyed !

I second that - great experience to see them, especially in that setting.  One of many highlights would have to be Lemmings (and his comment on the segue).

My significant other, who is very new to prog, really suffered through the Strawbs.  She's coming from a love of all things metal - the folk bits were too much for her...  She's keen on Hammill, though!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 19:41
Thanks for the kind words allHug

And good to hear the Arlington show was excellent!
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 20:47
June 23, 2009, Arlington, Massachusetts (USA) set list:

Acoustic Strawbs:
  • Lay me down
  • Grave new world
  • Oh how she changed
  • Midnight sun
  • Ghosts
  • Hangman and the papist
  • Autumn
The Strawbs were typically great.  Vocally they are in great shape, and Dave Lambert is a real pleasure to watch on acoustic guitar.  They had a fair number of CDs for sale, but only stuff from their own Witchwood Media label, as you might expect.  Dave Cousins signed autographs and posed for pictures during the intermission.  He promised to return next year with the full band again, including Oliver Wakeman.

Van der Graaf Generator
  • Interference patterns
  • In the black room
  • Lemmings
  • Lifetime
  • All that before
  • Meurglys III
  • Over the hill
  • We are not here
  • Man-erg
  • Nutter alert (encore)
Yep, then played 6 new songs, including the encore of "Nutter Alert" from 2005's Present CD.  They all came off very well - if you don't have Trisector, and you love VdGG, then I would not hesitate to pick it up.  I really like "All that Before".

The 3 classic tracks (Lemmings, Meurglys III, and Man-erg) received standing ovations.  Meurglys III, especially, was very memorable.  Guy Evans is just incredible on the drums.  He's all over the kit, never playing the same fill twice.  I didn't have a great view of Hugh Banton, but he was very busy as well - playing organ and keyboards as well as bass pedals with both feet.  Hammill was very intense - just the way we like him!

I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing that they played a few more older tunes in Arlington, but I'm not really disappointed - just happy to have seen them.  Lots of requests from the audience, but once again Hammill held up the set list and declared, "It is written!"

No merchandise for sale, no meet-n-greet - though I didn't wait too long, since I had to catch a plane the next morning. 

I'll be at the Chicago show on Friday as well, and I'll post that set list, too, unless someone beats me to it.
verbcrunch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 21:17
"..No merchandise for sale, no meet-n-greet - though I didn't wait too long, since I had to catch a plane the next morning. "

I did spot a crowd forming near the stage, turns out Peter Hammill was mingling, graciously signing autographs and posing for photos.    He then had to dash back, promising to send out other band members.      A nice gesture.

mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 21:27
Originally posted by verbcrunch verbcrunch wrote:

I did spot a crowd forming near the stage, turns out Peter Hammill was mingling, graciously signing autographs and posing for photos.

Thanks for letting me know!  I should have plenty of time after the show on Friday to stay for a chat.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 08:00
Excellent review - thanks, Man with Hat!  I only became a fan of this band within the last 2 years, but they've really grown on me, as have Hammill's solo albums.  And I just happened to be listening to "Still Life" as I came upon this thread, so I figured I'd check it out.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 25 2009 at 08:01
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply