Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedScapa Flow [FIN] for folk-prog!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scapa Flow [FIN] for folk-prog!
    Posted: July 28 2009 at 11:22

Hiya. I sent an e-mail to the admission team a while ago, soon to be a month, and I know I'm not to be too hasty about this, but as they're not being added yet, I thought I'd write it here, and have the collective opinion on them. Here's the mail I sent back then:

Quote Hello.
I recently discovered this band from my home country, that I noticed was not listed at ProgArchives, though I believe they deserve to be. They released one album in 1980, which is very rare even in Finland, and I only found a little text in a Finnish rock dictionary (1983), which I'll translate freely to make something of a biography of them.
The music is described by them as folk prog, and after going through several sub-genre descriptions, I decided it's the best alternative. So, here's a link to the album as a .rar file on rapidshare: 
http://rapidshare.com/files/40396590/scapa_flow_-_uuteen_aikaan__very_rare_finnish_folk_psych_1980_.rar/
My recommendations are songs Valmiina Heräämään (Ready to wake up), Salaisuuksien Satiiniverhot (the satin curtains of secrets) and Koi (the moth)
And here's the biography:

Scapa Flow
SCAPA FLOW was formed in Helsinki in 1976. Though the band had been playing in various occasions under different setup including the founding member, saxophonist/flautist Ismo JÄRVINEN. Musically SCAPAP FLOW can be defined as progressive folk, mostly influenced by such bands as JETHRO TULL, CAMEL and FRANK ZAPPA. In the beginning the band would mostly perform songs of their own, but they also had songs from for example J.S.BACH in their repertory. The music was mostly composed, but there was always some room left for improvisation. Singing has also always played a big part in their music, as four of the members of the band would sing together.
In 1978, along with JÄRVINEN, SCAPA FLOW was Timo SEPPÄNEN (guitar) and Asko AHONEN (bass). The drummer, Olavi KYLLÖNEN was later on replaced by Leevi LEPPÄNEN (PEKKA POHJOLA GROUP) and the keyboard player Kari JAKSOLA by Eero KOLEHMAINEN . The singer/flautist Pia-Maria NOPONEN joined the group afterwards, before the recording of the album.
In 1980 SCAPA FLOW recorded their first and so far only record, "Uuteen Aikaan", which was mixed by Lasse RÖNKKÄ. The lyrics, that used to be in English were now translated into Finnish by two outside writers, Seppo PARKKINEN and Esko SALERVO. The record received little attention, even though it was of very high quality.
Records:
-Uuteen Aikaan (Kompass KOLP 22) (1980)

1. Valmiina Heräämään 4:24
2. Salaisuuksien Satiiniverhot 6:14
3. Mikä Aamu 5:59
4. Uuteen Aikaan 4:23
5. Tuuleen Kaiverretut Portaat 4:48
6. Koi 2:17
7. 6:09

Ismo Järvinen - Saxophone/flute/vocals
Timo Seppänen - Guitar
Asko Ahonen - Bass
Leevi Leppänen - Drums
Eero Kolehmainen - Keyboards
Pia-Maria Noponen - Vocals/flute

I'm afraid I don't know for sure which four it were, that did the singing, apart from Noponen. Oh, and here's an example of the front cover of the album http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JPpwjBxR5jc/RoqaZ4hb_BI/AAAAAAAAAdw/41vCe3_G5CQ/s320/front5.jpg It's fromt he internet, I couldn't find a better one, hope it's useful.
If there's any questions at all, you can contact me and I'll try to answer them as well as I possibly can. I understand you won't respond to inquiries, so I'll try to fill in everything needed to speed up the process and decrease the need of me wondering what happened to my post.
Tuomas Renvall aka. Passionist
[email protected]

yep

Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 14:35

Bump!

Seriously guys! There's some really good stuff here, that really deserves recognition. What more can I do? At least you could give them a go, I mean, come on, this totally fits the place. What's wrong with you? 0 replies? 11 times read? Are we so unkeen on progfolk?

Or is it because I didn't hotlink to you lazy b*****ds?

http://rapidshare.com/files/40396590/scapa_flow_-_uuteen_aikaan__very_rare_finnish_folk_psych_1980_.rar/

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 14:37
Okay, calm down, we're slow but we can ultimately look into this. I'll send this to the Folk Team.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 19:22
Oh I have faith in the team, yes sir, no problem there. I was just hoping for some feedback from the public. You know, to hear what other people think But thanks anyway, at least now I know for sure it's been taken care of!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 10:19
Hi Passionist,

Sorry for not seeing this sooner.Embarrassed

We're now looking at Scapa Flow.

Most likely it will be positive.Thumbs Up

Would you be interested in writing the bio of the band in your own words??? You'd get credited for it.

Edited by Sean Trane - August 05 2009 at 10:20
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply