Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: An introduction to Marillion, Helsinki,Finland
    Posted: November 08 2009 at 02:49

Marillion - Finland, Helsinki, Tavastia Club, 6th Nov 2009

“Gonzo review warning”

I noted this well known group giving out a concert in the local Tavastia club, and as I had not yet heard any of their music (?!), I decided that there can’t be a better way of getting me to know their stuff. The promised acoustic oriented approach also sounded promising, and my intuition was correct, I liked the event and their music very much.

First I paid attention to the voice of the lead singer; Really talented and emotional, fitting wonderfully to the mellow, romantic and soulful music of the band. The compositions were both accessible melodically, but also similarly free from tight commercial concepts, being same time coherent but coming clearly directly from the heart of the performers, possibly justifying a term “artistic soft rock” being related to them. Some textures of the music associated for me the sound of some classic 80’s ballads (in a very positive way). Often the songs were kind of tension buildings; Beautiful weaves of chord progressions as a surface for beautiful melodies and lyrics full of hope. The rhythm changes were interesting, happening instantly without neurotic preparations and middle-sections. The sounds were really good, not too loud or silent but perfect. Also as a rare feature, I could hear the lyrics well, and these not too hard but still meaningful and warm poems were very understandable instantly. I though, when before have I heard such beautiful music live on stage, and similarly the conceptual ideas of the lyrical message gets registered to my head, processing a synthesis aesthetical and emotional experience. I’m still thinking and have not find an answer. It was nice to hear background stories about the songs. The musicians were also really sympathetic; being were warm and direct personalities communicating with the really enthusiastic audience, which maybe tested the limits of good taste but luckily not possibly going too far (I feared that soon somebody jumps to the stage to hug the musicians). 

There were two sets and two encores, doing ca. three hours of music with few pauses. I believe the gig was really successful, and created much happiness to the attended fans, and I believe also the musicians were taken by the rejoicing caused by their performance. I decided I’ll get first a CD of this new stuff the group performed, and then with time familiarize myself with other material from their large discography. Maybe I’ll also manage to teach my heart to be a ball which would run uphill.

Edit: Updated the pic

Edited by Eetu Pellonpaa - May 05 2017 at 02:17
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 02:53
Absolutely fantastic

Great to hear you've introduced yourself to one of my favourite ever bands, in their true brilliance - Playing live. Sounds like a great show, and I hope you enjoyed it!

For a first CD, I'd reccomend you get L=M - Its their latest album, and it contains the songs which you heard with the same arrangements.

Sounds great, and I hope you had fun!
-Joel
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2009 at 11:57
Great review - thanks very much for sharingClap

I agree with Joel's recommendation, but would go one step further - BUY THEM ALLLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 18:27
Hi,

You know, it's nice when you hear something like this ... specially a band that did not sit on their laurels and is considered "neo-prog" or something else.

The mark of an artist and creative person is that they continue and never stop. And reading a review like this is nice and a breath of fresh air.

And a great tribute to Marillion itself ... that even after all these years, and people not thinking you were good enough, that ... you are here still and stand tall and then some!

Well done. And well deserved aplaud!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Basíleia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 03:23
^ Agreed, it sounds like Marillion has really touched you and it is nice to hear that.
I also can't help noticing that your choice of words really is beautiful and that it is nice to read such a well-written review!

Hug

Joren
Liefde heerse op Aarde
Liebe herrsche auf Erden
Love reign on Earth
Amor regat Tellurem
Que l'amour règne sur la Terre
 Post Reply Post Reply