Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRootkits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 16:13
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I ran a program that took over seven hours just to scan both drives, and it caught myriad things I wouldn't have thought of...(like my calculator being infected by a virus...the calc.exe of all things...).  From what I can tell, it has repaired almost everything, and quarantined what it couldn't.  I deleted the quarantined files (none of them were of any import).

I will attempt to boot in safe mode and see how that goes.

I'm not trying to be naive, but I am almost positive that well over half the crap on my computer was there before I somehow caught the "Big bug" two days ago.

Besides...I dare someone to steal my identity.  With my credit, I can't even sell it!  LOLEmbarrassed

Seriously, if I am being foolish, Dean, Pat, etc., let me know...reformatting is always an option...but if all this mess has been on my machine for so long (as I am certain it has been), I'm thinking the Internet hasn't been too safe for me all along.  Confused 

*Checks card statements to make sure Pat didn't buy the new Magma album with one of my accounts* ShockedAngryOuch

Wink

I'll run some more tests...in the mean time, I will drink beer and listen to the new Between the Buried and Me album.

Also, I almost met Glenn Beck today.

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 17:07
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Also, I almost met Glenn Beck today.

Near death experiences are always scary.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 19:15

Besides...I dare someone to steal my identity.  With my credit, I can't even sell it!  LOLEmbarrassed

Great defense against identity theft!  LOL

I will drink beer

Now you've dispensed good advice to me.  Big smile
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 14:37
Have you tried using Google Chrome? It won't get rid of the rootkit, but since it's used so little, it might not be affected by the rootkit.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 14:39
Oh also, Panda Anti Rootkit is supposed to be good at cleaning some rootkits.
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 19:00
2 ways of doing it. first off, back up any needed data. this is similar in both solutions. then wipe the hard disk.

heres the choice.

1st option, reinstall windows, download firefox, AVG (or similar) and Zone Alarm (firewall, so anything similar) whatever you do, do not install norton, mcaffee or panda, their the AV equivilent to a chocolate fireguard.

then scan all the files you backed up with an up-to-date AV scanner, and malware bytes.

or the simple method, install linux, (need to make a boot disk/usb pen before wiping the computer) once you install linux you can then return all your files without risk of reinfection, and for that matter, not worry about viruses and trojans again...

your choice.

personally only moved over to linux (currently using ubuntu, tempted to try a few other variants as well, though would recommend ubuntu to start with) fairly recently. started mucking about with it 6-7 months ago, but never made the switch from xp (which I have had to patch up a few times....) however, bought myself a new PC, which came without an OS, (quadcore @3GHz/core 8GB DDR2 800 1TB Harddrive, 1GB graphics (theres showing off for you)) moved over to linux on that completely (with the exception of the occasional use of XP to use the sony software for my Walkman) and sinse then. the few times I've had to use M$ has driven me mad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12