Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed7th Son of a 7th son = prog album???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7th Son of a 7th son = prog album???
    Posted: May 18 2005 at 15:38

Well... I'm a big Maiden fan and i know that maiden isn't quite progressive, but take a look...

Stuff like "The Rime" from Powerslave or the whole 7th son album is quite progressive... The whole concept... keybords... and the spacey sound of the whole thing... And what about Maidens recent materrial... Brave New World and Dance of Death have a king of progressive aura around it.. What do You guy's think???

Xanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:06

The soft middle part  on the title track is indeed very good. Progressive? nah...enjoyable? definitively...otherwise it is a mediocre Maiden album, not bad not essential...but what can ya expect from Dickison...No i prefer DiAnnio, the debut album is the, IMO, only one worth buying.

BTW, is Iron Maiden refering to Margret Thacther or the orignal meaning of the word as a sort of torture thing? 

"Oh, yes, sitting-the great leveler. From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?"
Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:09
Originally posted by Xanadu Xanadu wrote:

The soft middle part  on the title track is indeed very good. Progressive? nah...enjoyable? definitively...otherwise it is a mediocre Maiden album, not bad not essential...but what can ya expect from Dickison...No i prefer DiAnnio, the debut album is the, IMO, only one worth buying.

BTW, is Iron Maiden refering to Margret Thacther or the orignal meaning of the word as a sort of torture thing? 

I like the Dickinson stuff too, but you're right, the first one is also my favorite.
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:20

The Iron MAiden is a kind of coffin with nails inside... yeah its a torture thing But Harris came up with the idea after waching a  film... "The man with Iron MAsk" or somethin like that (i know it in polish but not in english

Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:23
Well.. i personally dont love the first maiden albums mainly becouse of Di'anno... sorry, but just cant stand his voice... Dickinson is God, but Blaze was also very good
Xanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:27

Well, as we so gladly say in sweden "the taste is like the behind"

"Oh, yes, sitting-the great leveler. From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?"
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:39
Yes, I believe so. Late 80's prog-metal
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:42

A very intressting translation, indeed. I would say: "The taste is like ones botton, devided" Ha de bra, kompis

Xanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:49
Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

A very intressting translation, indeed. I would say: "The taste is like ones botton, devided" Ha de bra, kompis

"The taste is like ones botton, devided"  Your english overcome mine in this area, however I wouldn't put the "divided" in the end, it kind of mess things up and IMO insults the reader. Lite "off-topic" skulle ja tro 

BornTooLate View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:53
Somewhere in Time and 7th Son definitley have progessive elements.  Not enough to be progressive metal though.  That being said...SiT is by far the best musical offering of Dickinson era Maiden.
"A single death is a tradegy; a million death is a statistic" - Stalin
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:54

"The taste is like ones botton, devided"  Your english overcome mine in this area, however I wouldn't put the "divided" in the end, it kind of mess things up and IMO insults the reader. Lite "off-topic" skulle ja tro 

Devided betyder ju delad, kan någon ta illa upp för att man konstaterar att smaken e olika? Om man bara säjer smaken e som baken fattar ju ingen..å kanske tror man menar att deras smak e som en bak, å DÅ tar dom nog illa vid sej. I viket fall..off topoic

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:59
Just for everyone to know: The swedish saying "Smaken e som baken, delad" means something like: The taste is like ones botton, devided. "Devided", meaning just that we all have different opionions (our bottons being devided into two). Mine is, anyway Get it folks????
drbr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 17:14
You Swedes are nutty!
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 20:43
Here in the english-speaking world we say "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one". I'm sure the swedish version is more elegant but just as useful for détente.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 21:55

Just for everyone to know: The swedish saying "Smaken e som baken, delad" means something like: The taste is like ones botton, devided. "Devided", meaning just that we all have different opionions (our bottons being devided into two). Mine is, anyway Get it folks????

tROBLE WITH sweden IS THEY HAVE TOO MANY EVERGREENS.hOPE THE fLOWERS DON'T LAST TOO LONG

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 22:12

Sort of a seventh bum of the seventh bum, situation, eh?

Seriously, I just spent some time immersed in prog metal and I realised that I enjoyed classic Maiden more than almost every prog-metal band ... the phrase "this isn't as good as seventh son" kept coming into my mind ... You could make arguments for the progginess of individual tracks like Rime and Hallowed Be Thy Name too (and I'm sure many of us know that Steve Harris is a huge Genesis/Wishbone Ash fan) ... but in the end, I guess Maiden are one of those fringe affairs, whom I do feel don't belong on PA's main site

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 00:21
Originally posted by Karnevil9 Karnevil9 wrote:

tROBLE WITH sweden IS THEY HAVE TOO MANY EVERGREENS.hOPE THE fLOWERS DON'T LAST TOO LONG

Dude you've lasted for WAAYYY too long!
 Post Reply Post Reply