Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMetallica/Black Album vs. Beatles/White Album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Do you prefer the black or the white album
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [21.21%]
52 [78.79%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 17:05
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

'Black Album' is, in my humble opinion, one of the most boring albums ever recorded (and no, I am not going to use the O wordLOL).

boring is a term that fits more the post-rock or post-hardcore scene, not metal one.

Sorry, I don't care what fits what - I find it boring, therefore I will use the word boring. I believe that freedom of speech still applies when talking about music.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 17:39

^

"commercial" maybe would apply. I never found this album "boring", even the ballad nothing else matters. 
It's not a bad album, but if all tracks were in the vein of "struggle within" I would rate as high as its predecessor.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
TheLastBaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 19:59
Metallica's black album is a great metal band holding back and moving towards a more commercial and acceptable sound, its an album where a band that was growing and developing with its previous albums decided to stop progressing and regress. The black album would make sense as thier freshmen effort, but not as thier fifth album, especially after ride the lightning and master of puppets.

The White album is a great double album, there are a few weak songs but over all its great, four out of five stars. The Beatles created a really diverse, well polished and enjoyable album, so many different styles and influences are present in the album.

I'm a huge fan of both The Beatles and Metallica, but I can listen to the white album over and over again and enjoy at least 90% of it, I played the black album for the first time in years a few months ago and after a few minutes I remembered why I hate the black album.
" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 20:30
This poll must be some kind of a joke.... Confused
The Beatles (because it's the name of the album) is not only FAR better, but also, more important and influencial.
That said, I think Metallica made pretty awful music, but Black Album and MoP aren't bad, but still, comparing them to the Beales is exagerated.
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 22:14
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^

"commercial" maybe would apply. I never found this album "boring", even the ballad nothing else matters. 
It's not a bad album, but if all tracks were in the vein of "struggle within" I would rate as high as its predecessor.

I don't get it because a song is played at a fast tempo it can't be boring?

It's commercial, safe, and boring. It's one of the most boring albums I've heard by a respectable band. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 23:26
Originally posted by TheLastBaron TheLastBaron wrote:

Metallica's black album is a great metal band holding back and moving towards a more commercial and acceptable sound, its an album where a band that was growing and developing with its previous albums decided to stop progressing and regress. The black album would make sense as thier freshmen effort, but not as thier fifth album, especially after ride the lightning and master of puppets.

I think it makes a lot of sense as it is. On Justice they went as complex as their skills allowed, and after the tour they must have thought that f**k these acrobatics, let's just make some good, heavy, rocking songs that are fun to play.

Black Album is one of the best sounding albums I can think of, too bad some of the songs have gotten a bit.... boring, yes.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 04:16
The White Album - it's a bit of a flawed masterpiece, but it's a masterpiece nonetheless.

The Black album is a solid piece of work, but lacks the adventurousness of Metallica's earler albums. I suspect the main reason why so many people dislike it is because it's their crossover album rather than because of any serious musical shortcomings.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 07:02
Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

The Beatles (because it's the name of the album) is not only FAR better, but also, more important and influencial.

Why is the Beatles (aka White album) more important and influential than Metallica (because it's the name of the album)?

At this time (1968) The Beatles (the band) were being overhauled by the exlosion of different musical genres surrounding them. What happened around them was far more important and influential (Cream, Jefferson Airplane, Deep Purple, Traffic, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, The Nice etc).

Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

That said, I think Metallica made pretty awful music, but Black Album and MoP aren't bad, but still, comparing them to the Beales is exagerated.

Depends on what parameters you use to compare the two albums.

Edited by earlyprog - January 11 2010 at 07:07
Juiceboxbiotch View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 16:37
There oughta be a poll here called "Apples vs. Oranges."  Oh wait...this is that thread.

Srsly these 2 albums have nothing to do with eachother.

That said, The White Album is my absolute favorite Beatles record, and the Black Album is without a doubt Metallica's worst (until St. Anger of course).  So it's an easy vote.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 23:56

I'm a big Metallica fan, but my vote goes to the White Album. Why?

Because in my opinion, its by far the best thing the Beatles ever recorded. It encompasses so many genres, and probably helped to create a few others. Helter Skelter influenced heavy metal. Some others pointed the way to prog rock.

The Black album is fine, but not as good as their 80s stuff. I don't think its bad at all, just more commercial and less proggy.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 02:25
You cannot compare   4 men who play metal vs. 4 icons of the 20th century. Black, I think, is a good metal album. White, on the other hand, is well, The Beatles  hellooo...

assume the power 1586/14.3
Mladen_Serbia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2010 at 13:05
Although I'm a huge fan of The Beatles (Metallica isn't even close), The White album is rather overrated, there's plenty of filler in my opinion... So I guess I'll choose Black album.
Fieldofsorrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2010 at 14:56
The White Album for me in every respect.
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2010 at 02:50
"Wherever I May Roam"  way better than "Helter Skelter" . More vision on the black. The white is a 90 minute ride to nowhere. Black stands tall. I think John killed the "Beatle" project after revolver. why not that's what revolver stands for: death (and taxes)

assume the power 1586/14.3
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 04:18
Well i enjoy both albums very much, but i gues in the end the white album is the bigger and beter one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12