FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Prog Band Covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Prog Band Covers
    Posted: January 09 2010 at 00:24

It's a rare occurance indeed, but every so often a prog band will cover a song and make it more..... interesting. So I'm interested in hearing of everyone's favorite covers BY a prog band.

Yes's version of Simon and Garfunkel's "America" made me think of this topic, and it wins my vote.
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 00:53
Steve Hogarth's cover of The Whole Of The Moon by The Waterboys for me. This video has the best vocal performance I've ever heard, and also introduced me to The Waterboys who I now love.

Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 00:57
Tool's version of Led Zeps 'No Quater' is fantastic, I think Zep is prog related but it still sort of counts Tongue
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 03:08
Zappa's interpretation of "Stairway To Heaven" is a cracker!

I recently heard Esperanto's version of The Beatles "Eleanor Rigby" ...and was disappointed with what I heard ...way over done ...but it reminded me of The Zoot's hard rocking version of the same takes the song to greater heights than The Beatles did ...IMHO

I also like Beggars Opera's version of "McArthur Park" ...and there is another nice version done by Australian nonet Kush, led by the androgynous Jeff Duff.

Edited by T.Rox - January 09 2010 at 09:19
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 08:29
I love Opeth's cover of Alice in Chains' "Would?" off their EP Burden.
The other two songs on the album (an edited version of "Burden" and a re-imagining of "Porcelain Heart" called "Mellotron Heart") aren't very good, but the cover of "Would?" is easily worth the download on iTunes.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 10:12
I'd also toss my vote with Yes' America.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 10:32
I always liked Yes' cover of Every Little Thing.  Although both are prog, I also liked Marillion's cover of Sympathy by Rare Bird.

Oh and how could I forget ELPowell's cover of Holst's Mars.  And King Crimson's cover of Get Thy Bearings. 

Edited by The Doctor - January 09 2010 at 10:36
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 12:02
I'll go with America as well--except the Leonard Bernstein cover by The Nice.
Everydays by Yes is my favorite by them.

Others of note not yet mentioned, off the top o' me 'ead:
Fanfare For The Common Man and Pictures by ELPalmer.
Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands by Steve Howe.
Kentucky Woman by Deep Purple.
It's All Too Much by Steve Hillage.
Book Of Saturday by Asia.

Proggy Pogo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 13:29
I love ELP's extravagant "cover" of Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition ...... does that count?! Confused
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 14:58
Jordan Rudess' The Road Home is an amazing cover album...

and Les Claypool's version of Pink Floyd-s Animals is really good...

and Keith Emerson's version of Bernstein's America is just amusing:

Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 18:26

Another Yes cover! I See You by The Byrds. If all you know by The Byrds is Mr Tambourine Man, then check out Fifth Dimension, Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrd Brothers.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 19:48
Hi,

I'm not big on covers ... it doesn't tell me anything I don't already know ... and it's not like ... this band was inspired by ... you are not there to see that band because they were inspired by A or B ... unless you wanted an evening with Lazerium and Pink Floyd! -- who cares about Lazarium ... PF in a great sound is cool anyway!

Of all the "covers" I have heard, one of my favorites is India's Monsson doing a version of a Beatles It's a Northern Song" ... it's done raga like and is awesome .

Stackridge has a really nice version of a Beatles song in their album Mr. Mick ... it's done in reggae style ... Hold Me Tight ... and it is really nice.

Experanto's version of Eleanor Rigby is not something that most people can appreciate ... Esperanto itself was an experiment, and the music was nice, but in that album the really good cut is "The Last Tango" ... but I'm not sure that folks here in this board can enjoy emotional music .... and stuff that has a lot more strentgh to it than pop music ... this is not pop music, and that version of Eleanor Rigby is very different and the vocals are a turn off for many today ... since we like mindless minded shlopp barbie doll voices with imitation burps for breaks and think that is music!

A better version of Eleanor Rigby is done by the group Ides of March in their first album. They had a single called "Vehicle" that did really well in the late 60's ... and its brass version of the song is magnificent.

I like Dream Theater's version of Who Are You ... that was played in concert and a couple of times had some members of Queensryche with them ... it was good ... not superb or great ... but it was good and while it did not have the depth and meaning that it did then ... it was still good.

The day that someone does covers of Mike Oldfield or Vangelis or Klaus Schulze is the day that I know "covers" will have meaning ... until then ... it's too spotty and meaningless ...

One of the strangest covers ... is Tangerine Dream doing Purple Haze (220 Volt Live) ... and it is a very nice version and we all know that Edgar is a wild Jimi fan ... and has always been and his guitar playing is really free quite often as he easily flies off the handle ... but no one associates Edgar Froese with guitar ... AT ALL ... and he plays it a third to a quarter of the time! -- and always has. But if you want to hear some really nice extended solos and tripping on guitar ... there are only 2 people that are good at that .,... and one of them is dead ... Michael Karoli (Can) was the best, and Edgar is a close second, as he creates his own background for flying all over the place ... he is not limited to a rock pretext or concept and this makes it very different ...

It's hard to imagine that some of the best covers, were all done by Manfred Mann's Earth Band ... as he has had more hits off them than anyone else ... starting out with Mighty Quinn (Bob Dylan), later on to Blinded by the Light (Bruce Springsteen) that basically introduced Bruce to the rest of the world, and then Singing the Dolphin Through (Mike Heron) of Incredible String Band fame ... and on and on ...  all of these would be considered "covers" ... except that someone helped those musicians become even bigger and more important. Bob Dylan is not as big, or important in Englad/Europe, who have a massive history of music and poetry, and folks like Roy Harper are far more relevant (check out his website) and intense and with it, when compared to others ... and Europe has many of these that happen to maintain the "bard" tradition in many countries ... Spain alone has 20 of these in every town! ... Italy has at least as many in every corner ... and so on ... and some of it is a literary tradition that America does not appreciate or even care to understand or enjoy in any way ....

In general, I tend to lose interest in any band, once they have to do something to "show" the public where they came from ... but there are somethings that are important and make sense ... and perhaps one day you all will hear Guru Guru's song in Tango Fango "Das Liebe von radio" ... (spelling) ... and what it meant at the time when Germany was still split ... and who their inspiration really was ... and if you have not heard it ... you will never appreciate what Chuck Berry and the Beatles really meant to a world that was closed out there and the only thing that people could get off the short wave was a snipet of many of these things ...  so you might get an idea of what it felt like to be split right up the core of your soul by politics!

I like Ange's version of a Jacques Brel song

I happen to like David Bowie's version of several of Kurt Weill's material ... but I am not sure that people here can appreciate the fight that Bertold Brecht and Kurt Weill had to go through ... and how they had to color their work to make it through ... it pales in comparison to what we call ... "progressive" ...

The day that my local symphony has balls to play Frank Zappa ... I think will be the first day I pay for a ticket to the orchestra! And that guy from New York, sorry ... you don't have enough mustard on your cigar!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2010 at 20:27

ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 14:50
Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man played by Seteve Hillage:

Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 17:05
Nektar's "Recycled"
Cream's "Disreali Gear's"
Supertramp's "Even In The Quitest Moments...."
Steely Dan's "The Royal Scam"

assume the power 1586/14.3
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 07:33
I love The Cure's 'cover' of "Purple Haze," Siouxsie and the Banshees' cover of The Jungle Book's "Trust in Me," Yes' cover of The Buggles' "I Am a Camera" (which they called "Into the Lens"), Frankie Goes to Hollywood's cover of Edwin Starr's "War," Chicago's cover of "I'm a Man," George Benson's cover of "On Broadway," ... wow, do I have all day? No. That's it for now. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 14:21
from a pryamid around the corner............I thought this thread was about album covers, you know, graphics
Roger Dean and all that. A cover song that comes to mind is the "Nirvana" cover of Bowies "The Man Who Sold The World" "Jeff Becks "She's A Woman" or how bout that new cover of The Rolling Stones singing "Comfortably Numb"  That one is funny with Mick singing, "you would not understand, this is not how I am"

assume the power 1586/14.3
 Post Reply Post Reply