Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAl Stewart? comments?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Al Stewart? comments?
    Posted: March 06 2010 at 00:27
Have I brought this up before?
Listening to The Year of the Cat tonight.  This is a fine piece of music.  This may or may not be prog-related.  I have no idea what else he did...heard a bit of Time Passages.  Maybe a bit too much of  '70's Elton vibe to it.  But varied grooves to each of the songs, way above the average melodies and instrumentation.  Almost a concept feeling to it (yeah yeah, same with Tumbleweed Connection).  It's certainly very intelligent pop.  I'm deaf, I hear eclectic pop and I think proggish Wink.  There's just a feel to this album that suggests something more than yer usual.  Almost an Alan Parsons Project (of the day) thang going on here.  Production values run toward the Steeley Dan stuff of the era.  There's a lot of excellent music hiding in this album.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 00:36
I'm sure he's been discussed.  I don't know his work that well that I recall, but I like this track:

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 01:13
Here's a couple youtube links:

Ya really have to hear the album, but these are great songs.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 01:39
Year of The Cat and Time Passages are great albums but not prog. Sparks of Ancient Light his latest is also a good work but not prog either
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
GuyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 02:30
He is brilliant. Try his PAST PRESENT & FUTURE - great songs , fabulous lyrics
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 03:42
Much to my surprise I learned just recently he is originally from my home town of Glasgow, Scotland. Can't see what genre he would fit into although his earlier stuff is kinda psyche/folky (ish)

Mrs L thinks 'wor Al' rawks (so I suspect we can kiss his progressive credentials 'adiós') Confused
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 04:04
Indeed, he was born in Glasgow, but he moved away when he was very young.

I love Al's music, he's made some superb albums. I really can't see that he has a place here though, even in prog related.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 06:45
For the record, he was suggested some time ago (in 2006) by Peter. Unfortunately, the 3-page discussion that ensued happened in the CZ, so I can't post a link here. There have been other threads about him in the main forum, though not formal suggestions as such.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 08:45

Yeah, I don't think really that it's prog-related.  Probably as close though as extremely well-crafted pop is likely to get.  Always varied, something different in each corner of each song.  As said, I'm deaf and am easily swayed by this kind of thing.  Don't worry, I'll be bringing up Tusk real soon  LOL

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 08:51
Al had more to offer than "Year Of The Cat". I remember reading an interview with him in an old Dutch prog rock magazine. He became interested in history and recorded at least one album that had to do with that (Last Day Of The Century, from 1988), and probably more.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 09:05
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Don't worry, I'll be bringing up Tusk real soon  LOL

LOLClap 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:27
Nostradamus/World Goes To Riyadh , Roads to Moscow, more than a few other songs relating to history or politics; and yes, a good number of songs in suite like construction ...

Co-conspirators over the years such as Ian Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Alan Parsons, Richard Thompson, Tim Renwick, Peter White; hosted at the Les Cousins Folk Club, where he played alongside Roy Harper, Bert Jansch;  had a 7 minute composition on his 1967 debut; the album Love Chronicles has an 18 minute suite; has at least one full blown concept album - 1995's"Between the Wars"; was part of the 60s British folk rock scene (where Harper, Cousins, Jansch, Thompson, and others got their start) ...

Oh, but no lightning playing overwhelming technical virtuosos, no time signatures undivisible by 2, no clearly identifiable melody rip-offs from classical music composers, no high-falutin' artsy fartsy concepts beyond history based or influenced  story telling ... plainly , he doesn't meet each and every one of our PA requirements for being called prog.

Which is strange ... if you took much of their early work, Stewart and fellow folk sell-out Traveller Chris De Burgh, both denigrated pop folksters, probably have more Prog Folk in their works than some already here.

Before y'all jump up, go listen to De Burgh's Crusader. Give a listen to Spanish Train.

The problem with being seen as "pop" is that purists insist you cannot be "prog".

And let's face it, both Stewart & De Burgh are much too mellow to try & jump over tall buildings ; and are too well known to get in here just by showing up at the door with a friend ...

Edited by debrewguy - March 06 2010 at 10:30
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 10:32
so as I take the only positive thing that will come from your thread - the push to go back and listen to the early Al Stewart & Chris De Burgh albums.

Prog related, both for sure. Possibility , both for sure none. We're too busy looking in the bushes buried by time, grime and multiple layers of time's dust for that artist that merits a little of our promotional power ...
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2010 at 13:54
^^ Thanks I'll have to go back and check some of the earlier albums.  All I know, which is little, is that when I sit down and listen to Year of the Cat, I hear something varied and special and well-crafted.  I honestly don't care whether or not it's prog or not.  I'm not pushing for inclusion here.  However I do think anyone who hangs around these parts would find much to like about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply