FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedU2 appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2010 at 20:07
love them, seeing them for Joshua Tree was one of the greatest rock experiences of my life

Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 10:07
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

On a serious note, they're OK I guess, they'd be better without an irritating frontman. 

While Bono is definitely something of an egomaniac, I can't imagine any scenario where U2 would be better without him. 

Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

My God..!! we already have Marty McFly and now we have Biff Tannen as well... who would knew my favorite movie characters were lovers of prog rock... welcome dude... U2 is unlistenable for me... can't deal with Bono's weak voice and his Christ pose, but I promised to listen to Actchun Baby (mispelled, I know) to give them a second shot... not still but soon...

Thanks for the welcome Smile ...but weak vocals?  Yeah, I definitely think you need to listen again. Wink

Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

mmm... Ok... "Boy" seems to be an easier album to borrow (steal) from my brother library... Wink I'll check it out...

I actually disagree with that recommendation.  Boy has a few really good songs, but is really inconsistent.  I don't think they really hit their stride till War.  The first two albums have their moments, but I would never recommend them to try to convert someone.

Edited by Biff Tannen - March 09 2010 at 10:07
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 10:16
Never been a fanboy, but I always liked them, from the very beginning. When I was after their first album, Boy, they were not yet well-known around here, and there was no sign in those days (1980) that they were to become a supergroup a few years later. On the contrary, the guys in the record shops threw up stupid remarks like "No, but we have UB40", which even manage to annoy me 30 years later. Not because I have anything against UB40, by the way...
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 14:45
I think I can only listen to Joshua Tree and that is how far I can go...
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 17:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

love them, seeing them for Joshua Tree was one of the greatest rock experiences of my life

I wish I had the same luck, but in those days I was a child
A U2 concert from The Joshua Tree or The Unforgettable Fire tour, would have been like a dream to me 

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 00:01
In an effort to keep this thread going Tongue, I would just like to point out how U2 is one of those rare bands that manages to have at least a couple of great songs on each and every record, even their least best ones.  To wit:

Boy: "The Electric Co." and "I Will Follow"
October: "Gloria" and "October"
War: "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "New Year's Day," "Drowning Man," "Surrender" and "40"
The Unforgettable Fire: "Bad," "Wire," "Pride (in the Name of Love)," "The Unforgettable Fire" and "A Sort of Homecoming
The Joshua Tree: Pretty much every song is great, except for maybe "Trip Through Your Wires" and "Exit"
Rattle and Hum: "All I Want Is You," "Hawkmoon 269," "Heartland" and "Van Diemen's Land" 
Achtung Baby: Like TJT, pretty much every song, except for "Mysterious Ways," which I have never been that fond of, although I like it more now than I used to
Zooropa: "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)," "Zooropa" and "Dirty Day"
Pop: "Staring at the Sun," "Gone," "Please" and "Mofo"
All That You Can't Leave Behind: "Kite," "Walk On," "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation"
How to Dismantle at Atomic Bomb: "City of Blinding Lights" and "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own"
No Line on the Horizon: "Magnificent," "Unknown Caller," "Breathe" and "Fez-Being Born"

"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2010 at 00:09
 ^ yeah I appreciate how they continue to cultivate their sound without being monotonous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12