Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRating without Reviewing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 14:54
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I honestly don't trust in reviews without rating at all.

There's an album that has not been released yet, but yesterday had 6 ratings with 5 stars...........Would you believe this people listened it?

ANATHEMA We're Here Because We're Here

ratings only

chronological order | showing rating only

It has gone down only because one lonely guy reviewed it with 2 stars and a review has 5X weight.

If I'm the first one to listen an album, the first thing I'm doing is a review to tell peole how good it is.

Does somebody believe all this people received an album from the band before released? A band sends promo albums to people who are going to make a review....They won't waste the cost of the album plus the shipping and taxes to receive a rating without a review, they send their promos to critics or reviewers, not to fanboys. 

Iván

Obviously you aren't aware of the concept of piracy.

Regardless, my problem reviewing is the fact that with the system which was inducted a year ago or so, the collaborator's reviews hold priority over the reviews of the reviews of the individual user.  I have to go and expand a regular user's review...and the collaberator's?  No, they cover 90% of the screen with their full reviews.

That's called bias.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 15:57
Originally posted by Nightshine Nightshine wrote:

He's assuming those raters have respected the PA rules, for the purpose of his demonstration (he's reporting those ratings, proving they're based on leaks)

Obviously you aren't willing to give some credit to the people here and treat them in a civilized manner.
Nightshine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 12:18
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

He's assuming those raters have respected the PA rules, for the purpose of his demonstration (he's reporting those ratings, proving they're based on leaks)

Obviously you aren't willing to give some credit to the people here and treat them in a civilized manner.

It's funnier that way.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 12:50

There's an album that has not been released yet, but yesterday had 6 ratings with 5 stars...........Would you believe this people listened it?

ratings only

It has gone down only because one lonely guy reviewed it with 2 stars and a review has 5X weight.

If I'm the first one to listen an album, the first thing I'm doing is a review to tell peole how good it is.

Does somebody believe all this people received an album from the band before released? A band sends promo albums to people who are going to make a review....They won't waste the cost of the album plus the shipping and taxes to receive a rating without a review, they send their promos to critics or reviewers, not to fanboys. 

Iván

Regardless, my problem reviewing is the fact that with the system which was inducted a year ago or so, the collaborator's reviews hold priority over the reviews of the reviews of the individual user.  I have to go and expand a regular user's review...and the collaberator's?  No, they cover 90% of the screen with their full reviews.

That's called bias.

It's true that the album pages favour the collabs' reviews. However ordinary members are still able to post their own reviews of albums, and these appear on the front page alongside collabs' reviews. I don't think these opportunities exist on many websites (though I may be wrong). Ordinary members also have the chance to be promoted to collab status as a reward for their efforts. I obviously can't speak on behalf of the 300 or so ordinary members who are regularly posting reviews on PA, but I don't see many of them complaining about reviews being minimised on the album page. It's up to yourself whether you post reviews of course, but I think you're missing out by not doing so. I'd be interested to read your thoughts on some of your favourite albums Smile   
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 14:54

Of course I'm aware of piracy, but in this case I don't believe that's the problem.

Due to 6 years in Prog Archives, I have seen hundreds of  ratings of albums not released, and this situation keeps increasing until the album is released, then as miracle, the reviews start to appear.

What does this means?

Clearly the fanboys or hateboys who haven't heard the album yet, come and give raving or terrible ratings to their favourite or most hated band.

Only when the album is released, the ratings start to find an equilibrium.

The worst case was before Octavarium was released, we received hundreds of ratings and even reviews, all with 5 stars, the rating was around 4.80, it was the great masterpíece of all times..

Then the news came, this idiots were rating a La'Brie's solo album, because DT never sent promo  of Octavarium until released.

The album was officially released and the ratings went down to a 3.69 which is closer to average than to a masterpiece.

That's why I don't trust ratings without reviews before the album is released.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 18 2010 at 15:52

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 13:20

Of course I'm aware of piracy, but in this case I don't believe that's the problem.

Due to 6 years in Prog Archives, I have seen hundreds of  ratings of albums not released, and this situation keeps increasing until the album is released, then as miracle, the reviews start to appear.

What does this means?

Clearly the fanboys or hateboys who haven't heard the album yet, come and give raving or terrible ratings to their favourite or most hated band.

Only when the album is released, the ratings start to find an rquilibrium.

The worst case was before Octavarium was released, we received hundreds of ratings and even reviews, all with 5 stars, the rating was around 4.80, it was the great masterpíece of all times..

The the news came, this idiots were rating a La'Brie's solo album, because DT never sent promo  of Octavarium until released.

The album was officially released and the rating went down to a 3.69 which is closerto average than to a masterpiece.

That's why I don't trust in ratings without reviews before the album is released.

Iván

You got me there.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 10:41
I myself, am terrible at writing reviews but I still find just a rating a bit lacking.  I have never just rated an album, stuck with my terrible reviews but feel pride about doing so just the same Big smile
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 13:29
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

I myself, am terrible at writing reviews but I still find just a rating a bit lacking.  I have never just rated an album, stuck with my terrible reviews but feel pride about doing so just the same Big smile
Your reviews are far from being terrible, as a fact and despite I'żm not a Wobbler fan, I got an album due o a prase you placed in your review:

[quote]mood switches often from rocky to gentle to very medival at times. It creates a great listening experience in my opinion. [/quot]

I won't deny that your 5 stars rating captured my interest, but in a rating without review I don't know the reason wghy the guy gave so high rating.

In your case I love the Medieval fragments incorporated into Rock, like for example in Miranda Sex Garden, so got the album, and even when not the same sound, I found Wobbler most interesting.

Even if I had seen 20 ratings without review of 5 stars, I would not bought the album, but that short phrase in your review,. made me buy it, and don't regret.

Thanks

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 14:10
This topic isn't moving fast enough.

I propose that it become mandatory to write a review on an album.  If you can't write, you can't form an honest opinion and thus you cannot rate.

/thread
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 14:24

I propose that it become mandatory to write a review on an album.  If you can't write, you can't form an honest opinion and thus you cannot rate.

/thread

What of those who cannot write in English? .  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 15:12
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

/thread

Screw 'em.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 01:29
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

/thread

Chris, honestly, even speaking English can be difficult for some, reading these not so long texts (reviews) is something that most of people can. And even when someone writes in crude way, he can form words and opinions, it's nothing impossible. The problem is that a lot of people thinks that their English is very terrible and so they won't write anything.

They can write, but they lack self-confidence.

And also knowing English is one of the more important skills in today's word, especially on the internet. mm ?

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 01:47

I agree with Marty.

Many of the interviewed bands has told me they use PA as both a source of info about their favorite music - and to learn English properly. Writing reviews in PA is very probably an excellent way of improving your language skills. I think it has benefited my own language skills. It most certainly have improved my communication skills. It has reconnected my brain to my fingers.  

I am still struggling with my is/are and were/was grammar. Living in the Glasgow area where everything goes does not help......... 

Writing reviews for PA has a lot of added benefits. On the top of that, you can even win prizes (the monthly prizes from M@X.). Writing reviews should be encouraged.  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 04:14
^ ^^ I agree 100% with you guys that everyone should be encouraged to write reviews, especially those who lack self-confidence. However, I don't think it should be mandatory. PA currently has over 28,000 members and I think it's fair to assume they don't all have the requisite language skills to write reviews in English, but they can participate by posting ratings. I'm guessing that Nightshine's ''screw 'em'' comment was meant as a joke... maybe I'm too sensitive, but I think that's disrespectful to the non-English speaking members of PA. Probably just me then... 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 05:47

I see your point Chris. I also partially agree.

There is one thing I noticed, the one you are talking about. I'm learning English not only by using it, but by reading posts / reviews by people who uses PA this way. I especially like Dean's posts, because they're mostly source of words I never heard about :-)

But the same applies to all you guys who posts in correct English. We (and there is thousands of people like myself I believe) learn from you. This is the same situation as with newspapers, what I read I also learn.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 05:49

Example of is/are - when I saw "this is indeed terrible news", I was confused. Because most of the times when there is "s", it means plural form and as such there should be "are", but it looks like English is using only news, not new.

We have
zpráva - singular
and
zprávy - plural

Things like these, differences between plural forms between languages are especially tricky.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 06:00
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Example of is/are - when I saw "this is indeed terrible news", I was confused. Because most of the times when there is "s", it means plural form and as such there should be "are", but it looks like English is using only news, not new.

We have
zpráva - singular
and
zprávy - plural

Things like these, differences between plural forms between languages are especially tricky.

Yes, this is a plural form of noun but it's used with a singular verb... just to keep you on your toes Wink
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 10:39

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Your reviews are far from being terrible, as a fact and despite I'żm not a Wobbler fan, I got an album due o a prase you placed in your review:

[quote]mood switches often from rocky to gentle to very medival at times. It creates a great listening experience in my opinion. [/quot]

I won't deny that your 5 stars rating captured my interest, but in a rating without review I don't know the reason wghy the guy gave so high rating.

In your case I love the Medieval fragments incorporated into Rock, like for example in Miranda Sex Garden, so got the album, and even when not the same sound, I found Wobbler most interesting.

Even if I had seen 20 ratings without review of 5 stars, I would not bought the album, but that short phrase in your review,. made me buy it, and don't regret.

Thanks

Iván

Wow, I had no idea that people even read my reviews, let alone use them to make a decision about an album... Maybe I'll go back to writing reviews... Haven't done so in like a month...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 10:14

ratings only

Iván

That's called bias.

In order to save you having to expand regular user's reviews... on the album page, click on the ''see all reviews/ratings'' link... now the regular reviews should appear along with the collabs.

Edited by seventhsojourn - June 16 2010 at 10:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123