Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPurple (symphonic prog/crossover prog) UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 17:44
Hi DocDan. I've just finished listening to 11 Bells. This is really interesting music. I think your playing on all instruments is plenty competent enough for this material, I mean it works really well and I totally agree with what you say about music not necessarily being about technical wizardry, as long as you can realise your material competently enough, which you certainly can. It's difficult to give detailed feedback based on one listening but I think your composing is imaginative and adventurous, ranging from nice melodies and chord sequences to much more gutsy and rocky. Like some others have said, I am drawn to some sections more than others and wonder about the length of this piece - perhaps it could have been somewhat shorter and more punchy for that but you clearly set out to produce something large-scale which is very difficult to do and still maintain interest, which you do manage to do. All-in-all, I think you've done a great job here. Some sections are really exciting and immediately appealing. Will try and listen to the other pieces though some people have set me a large syllabus of listening requirements over on my 'newbie' thread so it might take a while!  

I'd be interested in hearing your comments on my material if you wish to listen. I've posted it here: 

Thanks for letting us hear your music, Mark
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2010 at 16:39

Originally posted by Marcusmax Marcusmax wrote:

Hi DocDan. I've just finished listening to 11 Bells. This is really interesting music. I think your playing on all instruments is plenty competent enough for this material, I mean it works really well and I totally agree with what you say about music not necessarily being about technical wizardry, as long as you can realise your material competently enough, which you certainly can. It's difficult to give detailed feedback based on one listening but I think your composing is imaginative and adventurous, ranging from nice melodies and chord sequences to much more gutsy and rocky. Like some others have said, I am drawn to some sections more than others and wonder about the length of this piece - perhaps it could have been somewhat shorter and more punchy for that but you clearly set out to produce something large-scale which is very difficult to do and still maintain interest, which you do manage to do. All-in-all, I think you've done a great job here. Some sections are really exciting and immediately appealing. 

Thanks for the encouraging words Big smile

The scale of "11 Bells" was definitely deliberate, as was the structure (exactly an hour, twelve 5-minute sections) which was inspired by hearing of Dream Theater making tracks of exact lengths. I was in two minds as to whether I should have made it twelve separate "tracks" despite it being continuous (on vinyl it wouldn't have mattered).

"Under A Binary Tree" similarly has a rigid structure, but this time there are two tracks, one with 4-minute sections, one with 8-minute sections.  I am currently working on the third album for the project (probably called "B:M:S") which has three-minute sections.  I have found that each different length leads to different approaches.  Having 3-minute sections definitely makes things punchier than the 5-minute sections, but conversely I have less freedom to explore ideas, and I have to work harder not to make it feel disjointed.

Of course you like some sections more than others - so do I (it would be very hard to like them all the same).  I'd love to hear which you like better  - and why, and which you like less and why.  So far I have been totally unable to predict which sections have been best received and maybe different sections will appeal to different people.  I guess two of my main aims are to "make it diverse" and "keep it interesting". 

The purple music project is an instrumental prog rock project.
http://www.purplemusic.org

Dan
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 04:28
The Ebony Queen begins with a majestic orchestrated synth, electric piano sound. The melodies trade off one another strongly. Alsmost brass like, but royal. regal and reminiscent of bombastic ELP in some ways. At about 3 minutes in i like the way the guitars echo the melody which becomes quite infectious. The duel guitar playing is certainly dynamic. The juxtaposition of guitars over a layered wall of keyboards works well. Acoustic guitar flourishes chime in at 4:10 changing the atmosphere and then a delightful lead solo with phased wah wah pedals, very strong sounds, squealing pitches and down sweeps on lead. The moderate tempo picking style emulates the synth chord structures. That Spanish flavour of acoustic vibrations at 6 minutes in transforms the time signature. It is vibrant and energetic. The wah wah lead breaks in again repeating the main motif melody.  At 8:20 there is a chime or tubular bells sound thta works on a number of musical levels. It is serena nd calming at first then builds to a rather erratic musical metrical pattern. There are sporadic shifts in tempo and it quitens down so the high pitched chimes can create a dynamic pitch. 
At 13 minutes there is a strange ethereal sound like a high sonic flute. The piercing sound takes some getting used to but it is whimsical like early Genesis and a joyous sound overall. An almost Parisian accordion piano sound comes in to the mix at 14:30, and this continues as a piano trades off various melodies. Some backwards guitar adds a pysychedelic flavour, transient and mystical; a highly effective addition to the soundscape.

At 20:20 a distorted guitar crashes in, a welcome change to the ethereal hyper strangeness of previous sounds, then a soaring lead guitar played with virtuosic skill.  

At 24:00 a brass sound, almost jazz fusion, breaks the atmosphere. It feels as though we are in a jazz cafe at this point listening to two jazz players. It is quite humourous the way the brass sounds bounce off one another.  

At 28 minutes the time sig changes and a guitar with hi hat percussion begins. There is even a whistle and some rattles; a wildly experimental vibe is the result. Then an ancient medieval feel with acoustics and old style picking enters.  It ends at about 32 minutes with the twin acoustic guitar picking. A very compelling style of music. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 05:38
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Heard all Doc Dan, I believe it's a great candidate for Crossover.

Iván
Technically Purple do not qualify for addition as the project falls into our "unsigned" criteria (the albums are only available as "free downloads"), and our policy is not to add unsigned bands.

I am prepared to accept this nomination on behalf of Crossover Prog for further evaluation if all Subgenre Team Leaders agree to my suggestion of allowing artists that permit free-downloads of all their mateial to qualify as "signed". (re: my proposal in the SCZ)

@Dan - sorry, this isn't meant to be a downer on your music or this thread, I'm just pointing out a technical hitch to inclusion into the database, I haven't had chance to listen to your material yet, but will do in the course of time. Perhaps this thread would be better in this section of the forum.

What?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 06:15
Great idea Dean. If the music is available as a download it could be worth adding to the archives. This is something i have not considered before but it seems to make sense.
Marcusmax View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2010 at 17:54
Have downloaded both albums onto my iPod and will listen again to all tracks. Hope to come back with more comments soon. Thanks again Dan for making this music available.
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 16:33

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Technically Purple do not qualify for addition as the project falls into our "unsigned" criteria (the albums are only available as "free downloads"), and our policy is not to add unsigned bands.

I am prepared to accept this nomination on behalf of Crossover Prog for further evaluation if all Subgenre Team Leaders agree to my suggestion of allowing artists that permit free-downloads of all their mateial to qualify as "signed". (re: my proposal in the SCZ)

@Dan - sorry, this isn't meant to be a downer on your music or this thread, I'm just pointing out a technical hitch to inclusion into the database, I haven't had chance to listen to your material yet, but will do in the course of time. Perhaps this thread would be better in this section of the forum.

Thanks for this Dean, and I don't at all take this as any kind of downer, I am fully aware that this project is unsigned, hence why I am here.  Of course I would be totally up for it to be included in the database, if deemed suitable.  Is there anything I should be doing towards that or should I just sit back and see?

Thanks for pointing me to the "Official "Review Our Music" Board" board - as far as I read it from the stickies on the board though, I should wait for if/when the project is included for that?

Dan

Dan
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2011 at 05:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Heard all Doc Dan, I believe it's a great candidate for Crossover.

Iván

Hi guus - it's been a while, initially I was waiting to see what happened here and then I guess I got distracted by several shiny things. Meanwhile teh website went down for a while without me noticing - it's back up now and so as before curious people can access the music through http://www.purplemusic.org 

I just wanted to give a little nudge and ask if there's a chance of this happening, and I pretty much agree that if I were to be graciously brought into the official realms of Prog Archives, that Crossover would be the best home.

Cheers.

P.S. Album number three is underway and is even more epic than the previous two Wink

Dan
DocDan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 18:37

Hi - 3 things:

First I am now my own official "record company". It didn't take much (aparantly for digital download and streaming you don't need much).  While I am no "signed" the albums are now official releases.  Does that change my status?

Second, for anybody who is interested, album number three will be release in quarter 4 2011 (provisional date, 11.11.11) there is a blog about the creation at http://purplemusicblog.blogspot.com/ , is you are a facebooker and you "like" it (http://www.facebook.com/Purpleproject)you will get snippets of news and factiods, advance access to the music, rough mix snippets and all sorts (and I will be launching a viral marketing game when the album comes). Oh and the website is revamped.

Third - just bumping the post up back tot he top to see if anyone's watching, still no answer on whether I could make it onto the database (I know you guys are busy Smile)

Cheers

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12