Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Triumvirat songs ever!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 17:54
Originally posted by Fright Pig Fright Pig wrote:

On a somewhat related topic, Triumvirat themes and passages have been sampled and used in a number of contemporary songs and tracks....mostly in Rap. I pretty much doubt that these Rap artists have stumbled upon them while working through a mountain of second hand vinyl. I wonder if the record companies who own the rights to the Triumvirat masters market them to entities who like to throw retro passages on their records and build beats around them.Example #1-Sam The Kid: (4:44 on) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2yB-U3Y8IExample #2-G-Unit: From the Top: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mXWdJHvBcExample #3-Scarface: From the top-same riff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGrJSx7OIM According to whosampled.com, Triumvirat has been sampled and used at least 15 times: http://www.whosampled.com/sampled/Triumvirat/Any thoughts?

You know, that is interesting, and it hadn't really occurred to me, before. I can't listen to audio or video clips on my PC because i am on old dail up internet access, but visited whosampled.com, and saw their list of artists and songs with year of release that sampled Triumvirat and what Triumvirat album song was used, and what portion of that song, right down to the minutes used. I wonder if EMI Cologne knows about all of this? It would be interesting to know.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 00:27
I used to have the first 4 Triumvirat albums - I always have treasured the debut - such a treat avery time I give it a whirl.  My favourite track of theirs either way is 'E Minor 5/9 Minor/5'.  There was also an E.L.P-like tune on Old Loves Die Hard, something like 'Murder on 5th Avenue' (7th ?....13th??) - anyway, it was manic enough to enjoy. but the rest of the album was rather ordinary......
I did like Illusions...... and Spartacus, but I don't recall what ever happened to my LP's of those.......Confused
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 00:41
Yeah, Tom, what the F lol?!?! You got rid of them, or cashed them in or something lol?! Track those babies down!

Some wonderful proggy gold over all those albums! And if I come across an LP copy of `Pompeii' to replace the battered cover of my current copy, I'll pass that onto you!

I find some of the vocals on `Medi' a bit wretched, but the album itself is so good! Urh, I hate the vocal bit in `Eleven Kids', you know....`Thought I loved you like I did...' or something!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:26
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Yeah, Tom, what the F lol?!?! You got rid of them, or cashed them in or something lol?! Track those babies down!

Some wonderful proggy gold over all those albums! And if I come across an LP copy of `Pompeii' to replace the battered cover of my current copy, I'll pass that onto you!

I find some of the vocals on `Medi' a bit wretched, but the album itself is so good! Urh, I hate the vocal bit in `Eleven Kids', you know....`Thought I loved you like I did...' or something!
Could've been back in the dark days of chopping and changing records all the time just to hear a lot of stuff.  I did like the Double Dimple album a lot, but Christ knows what went through my head in those days.......Confused.  I thought Magma were Satanic-Jazz, but when the haze cleared out of my head, I realised how phenomenal there really are. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:30
Too much of Smoke = Dead
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:34
No problems, buddy, I've got the Essendon Fair this Sunday, so I'll keep a lookout if I can pick up some of those albums at a decent price for you. No worries about payment, just be happy for you to enjoy them. I seem to come across most of their albums pretty often, so shouldn't be too long before they show up again
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 01:38
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I really like the sound of Illusions. The drums have an unusual doubled/gated effect that's really effective without being annoying.

Yes that is a really interesting production affect. I think (given the ELP influence) that they may have got the idea from the Tarkus suite . There is a transition between two of the songs where Eddie Offord messes with the drum sound in a very interesting way. Not the same but a little reminescent maybe?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 05:35

No problems, buddy, I've got the Essendon Fair this Sunday, so I'll keep a lookout if I can pick up some of those albums at a decent price for you. No worries about payment, just be happy for you to enjoy them. I seem to come across most of their albums pretty often, so shouldn't be too long before they show up again
Thanks !!  Good luck. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 08:06
I really liked "March to the City" from Spartacus, and "I Believe" from Old Loves Die Hard
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 15:09
Always loved "Old Loves Die Hard". Got it on German vinyl back in the day. Heck, CHUM FM out of Toronto used to give it airplay!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 16:38
That is cool that CHUM played it! I remember the German vinyl of Old Loves with the old style German writing on it.(And a tiny mouse looking at everything on the front cover) Then the inferior North American pressing with the mouse under the magnifying glass cover. Have always loved that photo of Jurgen Fritz from the Old Loves inner sleeve.
mike1259 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 21:12
Triumvirate was my favorite band when I discovered them and I have a lot of respect for those who appreciate 'em. Illusions stands to me as a desert island album and their first 5 are essential to any real keyboard freak.
I was driving in the middle of the night near South Bend Indiana one night and almost went off the road when I turned the dial and "Mediteranian Tales" was playing on a PBS broadcast, turned out a couple fellas started up a prog radio program... https://www.facebook.com/blacklightradioFM
mike1259 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 21:20
"Across the Waters" it was, they thought it Mozartesque
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 22:27

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 00:56
Just got Old Loves Die Hard ( thanks Doug)

Panic On 5th Avenue , yep that has to be well up there.Thumbs Up
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 04:06
Illusions on a Double Dimple 
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 14:36
I have so far had the privilege of listening to only one Triumvirat album- "Illusions On A Double Dimple"
So, current favourite is the title song. But it was quite difficult chosing among the two songs from this excellent album.
Feeling great to have discovered Triumvirat
Thanks Progarchives

Edited by addictedtoprog - October 13 2014 at 14:39
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 15:19
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

I have so far had the privilege of listening to only one Triumvirat album- "Illusions On A Double Dimple"

Awesome! Get Spartacus ASAP!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 17:02
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Damn...so that album is missing in action....and the world missed out on some killer live shows

Doug, do you know of any official (or even unofficial) videos of live footage of the band? Probably no DVD's, that's for sure.
There is nothing on DVD. The only videos i have ever seen are on youtube-two from the Pompeii album that were filmed in Germany in 1978-an excerpt from "The Hymm" and also "Dance On The Vulcano". Also, there is a Swiss tv performance of "Waterfall" from the A La Carte album, and looks like it was done in '78, as well.(Jurgen Fritz is singing and playing piano on that one, but in the sound, it is Barry Palmer's voice)
     During Triumvirat's 1974 tour supporting Fleetwood Mac, a show was filmed and presented in January, 1975 on ABC's "In Concert" program-the complete two suites from the Illusions album were done. Unfortunately, that video was thrown out, according to Don E. Branker, whom i contacted, who was the show's host at that time. In Germany, in 1976, there was a film done of band interviews and music from Triumvirat's Old Loves Die Hard album on a tv program called Bios Banhof Music. It has never been re-broadcast, as far as i know. Also done was a German tv film of the single "Party Life" from their last album Russian Roulette.
    Also should mention that in June of 1999, in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, there were some concerts filmed that were in part a tribute to Triumvirat, with singer Barry Palmer backed by the Par Lindh Project and Alaska.
They were available on a limited edition VHS set, but are long gone, now. Palmer sang music from Spartacus and Old Loves Die Hard.
The ABC footage is not of the two complete suites but is only 11:08 long, fitting just some of the first Illusions suite in there. Bios Banhof Music started in '78 according to the net, so there couldn't have been footage from Old Loves in 1976.
            There is now something on DVD. A dealer on IOffer has a dvd called Triumvirat-A Kraut Prog In the 70s-that has all the existing youtube videos I have mentioned on it, as well as music set to pictures of Triumvirat, and some Barry Palmer vids with Mike Oldfield and solo.

Edited by presdoug - October 13 2014 at 17:40
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 09:29
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Awesome! Get Spartacus ASAP!

Sure

Edited by addictedtoprog - October 14 2014 at 09:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12