Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steely Dan
    Posted: June 08 2005 at 20:42

Is it just me or could Steely Dan easily fit in the Fusion category of prog rock?  I think they have all the credentials to be prog and with Aja being a true masterpiece, why not add them?

Ben2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 03:44
Hmm, not too sure about fusion, but I could definitely see them as art-rock. An excellent, quirky & humorous band with great chops!
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 21:15
mmm... i have to dissent on this one. I love steely dan, but they're not prog. They're not fusion. They're jazz-rock... something distinctively different from fusion. They fall in the same category as Chicago and Blood, Sweat, and Tears if anything... definitely not with Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, or Brand X. 
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 01:36
Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

mmm... i have to dissent on this one. I love steely dan, but they're not prog. They're not fusion. They're jazz-rock... something distinctively different from fusion. They fall in the same category as Chicago and Blood, Sweat, and Tears if anything... definitely not with Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, or Brand X. 

Sorry, but in my opinion "fusion" is just a more modern word for "jazz-rock".  If you dissent on that, then I'd like you to point out the stylistic differences. As for putting Steely Dan into this category: Definitely not, at least not from what I have heard of them. (They did not convince me into liking them, to be honest).

The name "Steely Dan", by the way, was taken from William S. Burrough's  novel "Naked Lunch", in which a vibrator of that name appears.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply