Topic ClosedBeardfish - Live in Prague, Czech Republic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beardfish - Live in Prague, Czech Republic
    Posted: October 27 2010 at 17:47

So I finally made important decision in my life. When friend told me that there will be Beardfish in Prague, I've decided to go there. It was difficult for many reasons:

1)my first gig outside my home city Pilsen
2)my first trip to Prague, capital city of Czech Republic
3)my first gig of foreign band

But it was very, very rewarding. Setlist was usual as on some of previous concerts. It was very limited, they got only 45 minutes (after all, they were support for PoS), but I don't know (or like?) PoS that much, so my main concern there were Beardfish.

1. Awaken the Sleeping  
2. The Hunter  
3. Destined Solitaire  
4. Until you Comply  
5. Without You  
and sixth song, track from upcoming album. I don't get the name.

The problem is that venue was quite small, it's not the smallest in Prague as I understand, but there are better places. However, beer was cheap, atmosphere very good and people helping band to feel good there.

Songs were performed without sound problems, guys were playing as good as usual (judging by youtube videos I've seen), which means very good. There weren't seats, just empty place in front of stage and people standing, head-banging and enjoying this. But generally speaking, I with my two girl - friends (girls, but not girlfriends, thanks for all help in Prague by the way) was in something like 2nd-3rd row, very close to the band. I'm 185cm tall, but there were few taller people in line of my sight, sadly. But visibility was good mostly. Of course, because of all the loud music, balancing of each instruments/vocals wasn't as good as on CD, but after all, it's not possible, nor welcomed.

Rikard Sjöblom's voice was quite clear to understand for me, but I know this music very well, so it's possible that I was just remembering the lyrics so this is why I heard everything. His vocal work is almost without flaws (even his range is probably lesser than the one of following singer, Daniel Gildenlow, but Beardfish's music isn't in need of such ranges after all, so it doesn't matter). By without flaws I also mean that he's singing without any audible accent. For me, it sounds like clear English. Of course, native speaker can object, as he has better hearing, but nothing like that for me. I liked bass work here as well, David Zackrisson was for sure enjoying this and acting properly, jumping a little bit, waving his body, simply not standing still as a lot of bassists does. Magnus Östgren provided solid work out there in back of stage (but visible and for sure audible a lot, as drums/percussion bass lines were clear to hear). And of course, there was Robert Hansen, the guy with longest hair. He was also the moving one (especially when "side walking" in his tradermark style, which really reminds me Beardfish (that fish) from some reason I can't explain). It's really bringing visual funny element (but it's actually quite difficult to do it). 

Some people say that there should be in better venues, attract many thousands of fans and give this (I think that deserved) status of Prog Rock stars. But it's a hard thing to achieve. It's a long road (but one can admit that Beardfish are here for how long, almost 10 years). Well, at least they have a lot of fans.

It was heaven. Beardfish is actually one of my most favourite groups (similarly favourite being Moon Safari), so this is something like my dream that came through. 

Flaws (but band is not responsible for any of them) - it was short, even without encore (I would enjoy for example "In Real Life There's No Algebra"), but schedule was tight I suppose and guys weren't the ones who were the most important band there. But for me, they were. I also regret that I couldn't take my girl with me (big BF fan) and my father (big 70s fan), but again, I can't blame BF, can I ?

Result - killer of a gig.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what was maybe equally interesting was what came after this. I had a plan in my head that I want to take photo with band (you know, to have memories). I'm quite shy kind of person, so it wasn't was for me to persuade myself that they will be interested in talking with me. Anyway, I was waiting for them and one by one, I was asking them if I can take photo with them. They surprised me, because such BIG personas they were in my mind replied in very friendly way. I joined them at their merchandise table and now comes the most important thing - I started to talk with them and sticked there for the rest of event. About two hours talking with these wonderful guys, oh boy, how glad for this I am.

I hope that I won't be telling you secrets (some things I heard I cannot reproduce though Wink). Guys were switching places between this table in front of club and backstage (well, in the back), so I usually happened to talk with one or two of them.

Yep, excited words of excited fan, but I don't pretend I'm something else. 

There was only problem that because I was a little bit nervous, my pronouncation wasn't so good and noise in club was also a problem. But I managed to find out and talk about many things, like that King Crimson is surely their big influence (and about how big impact albums of this band has), I also suggested that they could do a cover of song "Red" some time in future. We talked about how their sales are going (not so well, so people - buy their albums, go on their gigs - for example Rikard has to do other music projects to keep himself with enough money to live happily).

By the way, Beardfish new album was recorded in April 2010, so early, but the reason why it's not released yet is that guys weren't happy with mixing, so it takes time. Also, new Gungfly album will be released in 2011, so this makes me happy as well. Great news. I asked other guys if they're about to do something solo and answer was "Maybe.", so keep our fingers crossed. Robert's look was something that could be described by two words - "EPIC BEARD". When talking about facial hair, David shaved himself after concert, so this created a little bit funny moment. Or didn't he ? Maybe I just misunderstood and saw badly, but let's keep it that way.

Sweden is in European Union, it is more economically strong country than Czech Republic is, but I we share some similarities. For example we both have "crowns", we have koruny, they have kronas. There are also annoying signs on cigarette packages that for example spoils all the beauty of Camel picture that was on package they were smoking. Well, this got us to the fact that they like Camel as a band as well. 

I had to apologize to them that my memory is completely bad for remembering names. It was quite embarrassing to admit that I don't remember their names, but I hope they understood. On the other hand, I remember most of their English-sung lyrics and all music. Except first album which I haven't heard yet. Actually, they said they don't like it lot. By the way, they expressed their interest in Prague, that it's a nice city.

Let's hope they will return there one day Tongue

And I think it was Magnum, who said that he wants to take his girlfriend there to visit Prague. Well, another thing we have in common, I plan to do this too. I also asked quite stupid question, which from some reason I needed to ask. Where Rikard got his muscles. Well, what could he answered to such a weird question - that it's not muscles at all, in a humble manner of talking. 

The problem guys faced was big temperature there was on stage. I asked if it was because of lights - yes, indeed. This seems to be a problem for many bands, why can't stage-engineers solve heat-emissions somehow ? Bands are suffering for it a lot. Well, now I know why on most of photos I've saw (Beardfish live) they are sweating a lot. Because most of venues they play in are small clubs with ceiling 3-4 meters high.

Guys were kind and gave me Beardfish bag. I tried to persuade them into buying (my opinion) the best Czech Beer, Pilsner Urquell, but they already had another (Czech) Braník brand. Not bad, I like this one too. There was guy Jonathan (I think), who was also quite interesting people to talk with. Band's friend if I remember correctly.

Well, my memory isn't as good as I would like it to be, I forgot some things. 

So I was sitting there, talking with whoever was actually present, pressing CAPTURE button on various cameras fans gave me (to take a photo of them with band) and I myself did some photos that can be seen in my signature.

Some photos, excuse crappy quality, it's just for illustrating the atmosphere.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 18:05
Nice pics Marty! It seems like you had a great time there. Smile

I'm more curious about the Pain of Salvation part, though. Tongue

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 18:20
Sounds like a great time Marty! Like you, Beardfish and Moon Safari are a couple of my favorites (I even got into the two of them around the same time so I also associate them with each other. xD) I must admit that I am a bit jealous you got to hang with the band for a while, must have been killer cool! 
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 18:55
Did some good ol' Youtube-ing and found some cool clips... seems like Daniel was on his A-game in terms of music and comedy! LOL

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Nakatira View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 19:53
Great read, hope to see beardfish live myself one dayClap
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 07:33

Thanks for positive replies. It was great Stephen. They were two times in USA I think, so hopefully, they will go over the pond one day. But it's very expensive I think. 

I still think that Beardfish, even being full blown Prog band, can attract a lot of casual Rock fans.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 11:25
Maybe they'll go to ROSFest2011. I'm really trying to get to that one, dunno if I'll actually be able to make it though. Getting to the states is tricky 'cause airfare is expensive. XD
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 15:50
Excellent stuff!
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
Plastic Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 17:03

Great review Marty. I love Beardfish so much it almost hurts to think that they still play such small gigs. They are such great guys as well. If there was any justice in the world they would be getting much more attention than they do. But then maybe that would change them from being the passionate artist that they are to become `Rock Stars`. Who knows.

By the way do you know about Rikard Sjöbloms other earlier albums before Beardfish? I havnt got them yet but some stuff can be heard on YouTube.

Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2010 at 02:57

Well, how many people could be there, 100, 200 ? Quite a lot, but still it's small venue. This is old problem, being not so famous, not so known, but humble and nice to people, or to become rock stars, earn a lot of money, but follow some kind of Pink Floyd pattern (The Wall). Don't take me bad, I like PF a lot (one of my most loved groups), but there was kind of alienation. A big one.

And they won't have time for people like you or me that much.

I know about Bootcut, but only this, nothing more.

After all, if Beardfish are happy with what they're doing, music for Prog listeners, music for minority of people, so by default, fanbase is low, but very passionate.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Plastic Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 19:34
Do a google search for: Rikard Sjöblom - Cyklonmannen

I have heard some of this and it sounds very good. I would love to get a copy of the novel it is based on, but I think that it is very hard to get one these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply