Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Bio for Kayak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Bio for Kayak
    Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:07
Hey guys,
I've written a new bio for the Kayak main-page. The old one is not very accurate nor is it atttractive. Can some-one help me post it? Thank you.

-----------------------------------------

Kayak is a Dutch band, originating from the early seventies. The band began as a symphonic progressive rock act with an emphasis in songwriting, but from ’77 on Kayak changed direction moving into crossover territories. Kayak revived in the 21th century, making new albums and doing new tours.

The original line-up of Kayak was quite strange. Most members were trained musicians at the conservatoriums of Holland. Max Werner was a professional drummer that had to sing and Pim Koopmans was a professional piano-player that had to play the drums (which actually was his true love). Luckily Ton Scherpzeel was able to play on the keyboards, which was his profession. Later on, from ’77, Pim Koopmans left the band and Max Werner became the drummer of Kayak. A long-time fan, Edward Reekers became the new vocalist.

Their debut ‘See see the Sun’ ’73 is often seen as their biggest contribution to the symphonic prog genre. Their mix of naďve, but very melodic symphonic songs is attractive and evokes early Genesis, Yes and some have mentioned Supertramp (which I never fully understood). Kayak has two main composers, Ton Scherpenzeel and Pim Koopmans. The typical classical influenced style of Scherpenzeel remained recognizable throughout Kayak’s long career. The vocals of Max Werner (’73-’77) are very distinctive because of his high-pitched voice that has a powerful strength-through-weakness appeal. Kayak used many of the recognizable symphonic prog key-instruments, such as moog and mellotron. Kayak’s second ’74 was a good continuation of Kayak’s melodic/symphonic prog style, but it had a bigger focus on long compositions which was profitable for the music. Royal Bed Bouncer ’75 continued this course, whilst The Last Encore ’76 has a distinctive atmosphere with lots of great progressive songs that were perhaps the most original the band created in their progressive period. The first four albums of Kayak are recommended to fans of the symphonic progressive rock genre.

After this Kayak wanted to have some more results and changed direction in to pop-territories with Starlight Dancer ’77, which only had the title track as a progressive song. Mainly the ’79 album ‘Phantom of the Night’ became a big hit in the charts, but in the beginning of the eighties Kayak disbanded after making their last progressive effort; the ’81 semi-prog/semi-pop Merlin. Though Kayak had made seven albums at this point, it’s members had never seen a penny earned by it.

In the new millennium Kayak was resurrected from a twenty years pause and came back with the strong symphonic crossover album ‘Into the Fire’ (2000) with again Max Werner on vocals. After the mixed bag ‘Night Vision’ (2001) (with new vocalist Bert Heerink of Vandenberg fame) the band re-invented itself with a prestigious mediaeval/symphonic concept album called ‘Merlin – Bard of the Unseen’ with assistance of real orchestrations and female vocals by the amazing Cindy Oudshoorn. New guitarist Joost Vergoossen also turned out to be a great addition to the already great guitars of Rob Vunderink. Vunderink was called ‘the secret weapon’ of the band, because of powerful backing vocals – if not his part in lead vocals on Kayak’s rock-opera’s and live shows. The ‘Merlin – Bard of the Unseen’ -album is the most attractive album of 21th century Kayak for fans of the progressive genre.

After that ‘Nostradamus – Fate of Man’, their second rock-opera, saw daylight. In 2008 the band again change direction and recorded the conventional symphonic rock album Coming Up for Air. This time Edward Reekers returned for vocal duties (before he had been replacement during the Merlin and Nostradamus theater tours). He had to share his place as a vocalist with Cindy Oudshoorn, whose performance on the Merlin album and tour was very well-received by fans of the band. After that ‘Letters from Utopia’(2009) was released with the same line-up. A big tour was planned to celebrate this brand-new 2cd, but as a total surprise drummer/pianist/composer Pim Koopmans died. Since then Kayak paused, not knowing how to deal with the missed Kayak-pillar that was Koopmans. In the end of 2010 Kayak found a new drummer and the band has decided to continue the band.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:10
Wow, the current bio is indeed so very poor. Good going Friso. I'd update the page but honestly I prefer someone in the Crossover Team doing it. 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:42
I'll do it. I need to edit it a bit first so i can't do it straight away. What I mean is it doesn't meet data standards (capitalisation etc)
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:45
Decided to add it now and make adjustments later!Thumbs Up
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 06:23
Thank you very much!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 06:25
Thank you for your excellent biography. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 06:31
Thumbs Up... A good bio. One correction has still to be made: the surname of the original drummer is not Koopmans, but Koopman.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 06:39
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Thumbs Up... A good bio. One correction has still to be made: the surname of the original drummer is not Koopmans, but Koopman.

Thanks. Will correct it.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 05:46
I'm editing the Kayak bio but I don't quite understand these highligted passages. Can you explain what you mean please?

After this Kayak wanted to have some more results and changed direction in to pop-territories with Starlight Dancer ’77, which only had the title track as a progressive song. Mainly the ’79 album ‘Phantom of the Night’ became a big hit in the charts, but in the beginning of the eighties Kayak disbanded after making their last progressive effort; the ’81 semi-prog/semi-pop Merlin. Though Kayak had made seven albums at this point, it’s members had never seen a penny earned by it. 
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 07:17
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I'm editing the Kayak bio but I don't quite understand these highligted passages. Can you explain what you mean please?
<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "><font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">After this Kayak <font ="Apple-style-span" color="#FF0000">wanted to have some more results and changed direction in to pop-territories with Starlight Dancer ’77, which only had the title track as a progressive song. <font ="Apple-style-span" color="#FF0000">Mainly the ’79 album ‘Phantom of the Night’ became a big hit in the charts, but in the beginning of the eighties Kayak disbanded after making their last progressive effort; the ’81 semi-prog/semi-pop Merlin. Though Kayak had made seven albums at this point, it’s members had never seen a penny earned by it. </span>

Kayak wanted more results because they had made some hits and they were a known band in Holland, but they were poor as can be due to bad management.

'Mainly the '79 album', this is the only record that really sold very well due to the hit 'Routhless Queen'.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 09:01
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "><font ="Apple-style-span" size="2">After this Kayak <font ="Apple-style-span" color="#FF0000">wanted to have some more results and changed direction in to pop-territories with Starlight Dancer ’77, which only had the title track as a progressive song. <font ="Apple-style-span" color="#FF0000">Mainly the ’79 album ‘Phantom of the Night’ became a big hit in the charts, but in the beginning of the eighties Kayak disbanded after making their last progressive effort; the ’81 semi-prog/semi-pop Merlin. Though Kayak had made seven albums at this point, it’s members had never seen a penny earned by it. </span>

Kayak wanted more results because they had made some hits and they were a known band in Holland, but they were poor as can be due to bad management.

'Mainly the '79 album', this is the only record that really sold very well due to the hit 'Routhless Queen'.

So more results means bigger hits? More hits? What I mean is bigger sales or more sales. Is that it?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 15:49
Bios are not easy. Good job.
 Post Reply Post Reply