Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew to Prog but VERY inspired..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Prog but VERY inspired..
    Posted: June 14 2005 at 17:31

Hey all,

I'm not really that influenced by prog but after kinda falling-in-love with a man who is OBSESSED with Progessive and Arty music, I've kinda made it my duty to get to know the music a tad more. I've always been a hardcore fan of Radiohead and I hear there's been some debate as to weather that's actually progressive rock or not. If you ask my opinion- I wouldn't say it's prog rock...but I still love it to bits!! So this extremely crazy man that I met (who shall remain anonymous ) as soon as I met him began going off on tangents about Moody Blues, Genesis, Uriah Heep (though I dunno weather you'd consider them as prog rock, I know I would after listening to The Magicians Birthday!), Yes, Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake and Palmer, blahblahyaddayadda and much much MORE...to the extent where I was just .

But, given the fact I'm a liberal minded Arts Student with a complex spirituality (sorry if it seems I'm talking out of my arse- I AM an Arts student after all...you know the convention) when I heard some of it- I loved it!! Genesis especially. I'd had enough of the young men who were Metallica fans, 'Punk' and i-don't-like-70s-music people who didn't realise that just because somethings old it doesn't mean it's gay (the short-sighted bastards) but until I met *this* man in particular and realised that there is some hope in this world after all. (Don't get me wrong- I love some of todays music too: Coldplay is my favourite band and I just got their new album. It's so good it can bring tears to my eyes.) Aaaah I love the way men in rock bands were like in the 70s. One of my dreams is to go back in time to when Robbie Plant was still the most beautiful man who walked the earth and lock him in a room and DO things to him!  Errrm...not meaning to offend any of you there, if that kind of thing grosses you out.

So, my main point is that I'm here to *learn* so please! ENLIGHTEN me!!

-Starette (Real name= Imogen)

50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 17:45
I'm the first to say hello it seems. So... Hello! There's a LOT of music waiting for you! 
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 18:06
Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

Hey all,

I'm not really that influenced by prog but after kinda falling-in-love with a man who is OBSESSED with Progessive and Arty music, I've kinda made it my duty to get to know the music a tad more. I've always been a hardcore fan of Radiohead and I hear there's been some debate as to weather that's actually progressive rock or not. If you ask my opinion- I wouldn't say it's prog rock...but I still love it to bits!! So this extremely crazy man that I met (who shall remain anonymous ) as soon as I met him began going off on tangents about Moody Blues, Genesis, Uriah Heep (though I dunno weather you'd consider them as prog rock, I know I would after listening to The Magicians Birthday!), Yes, Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake and Palmer, blahblahyaddayadda and much much MORE...to the extent where I was just .

But, given the fact I'm a liberal minded Arts Student with a complex spirituality (sorry if it seems I'm talking out of my arse- I AM an Arts student after all...you know the convention) when I heard some of it- I loved it!! Genesis especially. I'd had enough of the young men who were Metallica fans, 'Punk' and i-don't-like-70s-music people who didn't realise that just because somethings old it doesn't mean it's gay (the short-sighted bastards) but until I met *this* man in particular and realised that there is some hope in this world after all. (Don't get me wrong- I love some of todays music too: Coldplay is my favourite band and I just got their new album. It's so good it can bring tears to my eyes.) Aaaah I love the way men in rock bands were like in the 70s. One of my dreams is to go back in time to when Robbie Plant was still the most beautiful man who walked the earth and lock him in a room and DO things to him!  Errrm...not meaning to offend any of you there, if that kind of thing grosses you out.

So, my main point is that I'm here to *learn* so please! ENLIGHTEN me!!

-Starette (Real name= Imogen)

Welcome Imogen.

There is so much to learn on this site,try downloading the MP3s to get a taster.

I heartily recommend Porcupine Tree as I too like Coldplay and can see some similarities.

barbs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 19:29

Gidday Imogen. Welcome. I'd like to back up Tony's suggestion on Porcupine Tree.

Excellent advice IMO.

Eternity
 Post Reply Post Reply